NOT using harness on small dog? General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Azalea, Oct 23, 2024 at 12:48 PM.

1. Azalea

Azalea New Member

Name:
    Azalea

NOT using harness on small dog?

I was going to post this in the Chihuahua forum, but I thought it might apply to other small dogs. Throughout the years, I've heard many people say that small dogs must wear a harness because collars are bad for their necks and throats. Some even keep a harness on their dog during the day instead of a collar (one of my family members does this with a small-ish terrier mix).

Our Chihuahua is almost 12 years old, and we've tried a few different harnesses over the years. She hates them. She walks slowly, tries to get the harness off, and if she can't, she will eventually "freeze" in place.

However, if we walk her with just a collar, she is clearly having a good time and happily trots along, with no tension/pulling on the leash at all. She never tries to take her collar off.

Is anyone else's small dog like this?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni
    My daughter uses a collar and lead on her mini doxie when just out and about and he’s fine with that, but if she takes him on a longer walk she uses a harness as he’s eager to get to smell all of the new smells that’s not local to him, she just swaps and changes to what ever environment she’s going to. Though she’s never really had a problem with either