Turmeric for dogs Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by dianeburms, Jun 1, 2023.

1. dianeburms

dianeburms New Member

Name:
    diane

Turmeric for dogs

My beagle mix is 13 now. He's had benign knots under his skin his whole life, and in the last year or so I can tell that he's dealing with arthritis; slowly walking up steps, rarely chases the Frisbee, etc.

A few years ago he started to have seizures when he gets nervous or scared, so unfortunately a vet visit is out of the question turmeric powder for dogs:-( Last visit, the vet thought he might have a heart attack so I rushed him out ASAP. He's not an holistic vet anyway, though, so I'm not sure if this is something I could ask him.
    I've given him golden paste off and on for years; I'm not sure that it really helps, but I guess it doesn't hurt.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    Contact your vet and ask them. No one here can tell you if tumeric or anything else is appropriate for your dog. Even if we give it to our dogs, our dogs aren't your dog and it may not be safe for him at his age, with his other health issues, his breed, all of those, a combination of those or something else entirely.

If your vet can't offer assistance, consider a mobile vet who comes to you.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    If your Beagle is arthritic he might benefit from something which will help his pain. Speak to your vet. The way your boy reacts will have been noted on his record, so maybe the vet can assess his condition by watching him move around in the car park.
    I speak as an elderly person with severe arthritis. I am taking turmeric and collagen, (I don't know whether they help), but it is the analgesics that keep me moving!
    Arroooo!
  5. Salena-Roy

Salena-Roy New Member

Name:
    Salena
    While turmeric may offer anti-inflammatory benefits, it's crucial to consult a vet, especially given his age and conditions. A holistic vet might provide a broader perspective, considering various natural remedies. Regular check-ups are vital for managing arthritis and seizures.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Toedtoes likes this.
    There are a few natural remedies that may or may not help with arthritis, but even with a fit and healthy dog it doesn't mean they are OK to give your dog.

Like all medication/supplements, checking with a vet before giving is essential as natural remedies doesn't always mean non-harmful to any individual dog