How is everyone in the current situation? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Mar 12, 2020.

1. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    We have been asked to wear masks any time we leave our house. My city is pretty ravaged by the coronavirus. My job has a bunch of cases and everything. BIG mess.

Was home today with the boys... Pestering Malone slightly.

Took Malone on a lovely walk - he ensured I got more arm exercise than leg exercise.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  4. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    CaroleC likes this.
    Okay......I exaggerated a little with the going to die business. Although with our health conditions we probably would go toes-up if we contracted the virus.
    I agree with you about the selfish people. I don’t understand idiots protesting about freedom to roam about and mingle. Are they crazy?
    Then again, I’m a little prejudiced against demonstrators in general. I have been ever since returning from SE Asia in early 1969.
    We watch movies mainly. We surf the news channels from ABC to CNN to FNC a little everyday. They are so used to instilling fear, they can’t quit. They drag politics into everything. Even in these times when life is scary enough, they can’t help themselves.
    Let’s hope for a vaccine sooner than later.
    AND I still can’t navigate this social website even after Malka in Israel kindly took the time to explain it to me.
  5. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Old and GsdSlave like this.
    The media over here in the UK is no better. There's so much fake news going around it's crazy.

The Government does do a televised briefing every day though so that's the only news on how the virus is going that I listen to. Otherwise I think I'd go crazy :)
  6. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    The federal government here tries to say there’s enough tests, but the governors say there isn’t. Same with opening things back up, feds say some states can start opening up, but they can’t open up and until we have enough tests, as well as reliable antibody tests. Unfortunately, IMO, Trumps briefings are ingenious, he’s always saying look what “I’ve” done.. It’s very unfortunate. He has zero empathy. We need a leader, and he’s really just campaigning, more concerned about being re-elected than doing what’s right for the whole country. The entire thing is a $h!t show. They past a huge stimulus bill, but the lions share of that money is going to states that support Trump. There is so much mistrust of him, that they literally wrote into the bill that no business owned by trump or his son in law can receive any funds from it. Still his supporters are just profiting of the stimulus bill that is meant to help businesses stay afloat and pay their employees
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I do not watch television [so why did I buy a new one when the last one packed up?] but I do read some online newspapers. Not that I believe most of what they say because I do not think that most of the so-called reporters do not know what they are talking about. I am not sure whether I believe much of what any government says, either.

I am not being an ostrich but having been in my own little cocoon for so long now that I have almost forgotten what it is like to go out, and that makes me feel rather selfish because life really has not changed for me whereas the lockdown is affecting just about everyone else.

It is almost as if I am the other side of a wall [​IMG] peeking over at the rest of the world.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Much as I hated doing so I have reported a DHL delivery courier to his depot because he was not wearing a facemask. Not my usual driver, who has been wearing a facemask and gloves since the lockdown, if not before then, and the thing is that it is a legal requirement now for everyone, including children from six-years-old.

I do not care if people walking past ignore the law - but delivery drivers were instructed to wear facemasks and gloves even before it was a legal requirement, and this guy was not wearing either, plus he was almost in my face as I went to unhook the rope on the door so he could put the carton down.

I know that I did the correct thing and the person I spoke with at their depot said that they provide their drivers with a supply of masks and gloves with instructions to wear them at all times and that I was right to have told them, so why am I now feeling like a tell-tale?
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and Old like this.
    We drove past Aldi this morning on the way to the country park, and there was no queue outside! After the kids had had their ramble, we called back, and there was still no queue! The store was almost fully stocked and I must confess to buying far more than I had intended to. Our fridge is full, and it feels just like Christmas did as a child.
    It felt strange with nobody speaking though.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Old likes this.
    Good for you Carole! There is nothing as satisfying as having a full refrigerator and freezer [and food cupboards] knowing that you have all that you need for the moment. I hope you got some treats for yourselves as well as just necessities!

My delivery yesterday was all of seven items out of the 24 ordered. Oh well, I will just have to add them to the next order. I wish I could go over to the macolet though as I do not want to keep bothering Hai to send things over, but I can hardly stock up on dairy products.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I bought Chas some reduced Easter chocolate - as they were virtually giving it away!
    For myself, some crispy sticks that the hounds share with me, and a bottle of Scottish squirrel!
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    You know what happens to squirrels...

[​IMG]
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Old and CaroleC like this.
    I had a mad craving for ginger last week - no idea why as it has never been a particular favourite flavour of mine, and the delivery from DHL today included a 12 oz bag of organic crystallized ginger slices - and wow, are they scrummy!

Considering I only ordered them last Thursday and they were sent from California via Leipzig in Germany, that is an incredibly fast delivery time.
  14. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Most of the supermarkets now have most of the stocks back on the shelves (or so I'm told) and I've only had one substitution and no missing items the twice I have placed an order online.

There is a limit of 80 items with the supermarket I order from but that's no problem at all to us and we order nowhere near that amount
  15. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Booo!
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    [​IMG]
  17. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    I’ll bet your news went berserk when your Prime Minister caught the virus. At least he showed people you CAN recover.
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Shufersal is definitely keeping online delivery slots open for vulnerable people, as I placed an order [for the things they did not have last time, plus a few other things] around midday and was offered the choice of either today or tomorrow, both at 7pm, which means any time between 6-9pm. I clicked on today but a message came up saying it was too late for certain items, so changed it to tomorrow. No treats though because I really do not fancy any, and if I do Hai has more than enough at the macolet, and of course I am still buying all basic needs that he carries from there.

The problem with evening deliveries is that they could easily be out of stock by the time the order is selected and packed - as happened last time when I only received 7 out of 24 items [less individual items actually but most were doubles]. But, oh am I grateful, especially when I read in some UK newspapers about some people having to stay up all night to get a slot......and then get one two or three weeks later.

There are other supermarkets in town that are parts of large chains, but none of them deliver to my Moshav. I have no idea why as they are roughly the same distance from here as Shufersal is but I do not really care. Two of them that I know of are cheaper but then I do know the quality of Shufersal's products as that was were I used to shop way back before The Monster hit Pereg, and I would rather pay a bit extra for known quality.
  19. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    We saw him for ourselves the night before he went into hospital as he was out on the doorstep of number 10 applauding for the NHS workers. He looked absolutely terrible.

The media played down the seriousness of his condition, but we were all relieved when he was released from hospital. I'm guessing he'll be back where he should be by the end of this week/early next week
  20. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    What I want to know is (and sorry if this has already been covered), but if we haven't got enough staff and PPE for the NHS hospitals, how the hell are we supposed to supply the same for these supposedly super hospitals they've built?
  21. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    And I'm sick of hearing promises about testing. Don't promise something you cannot deliver and then lie about it. Pathetic!!!