Springer tail discussion-what do you prefer? General Chat

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by Luke, Jun 14, 2006.

?

What type of tail do you prefer on an ESS?

1. Full, plumed and undocked

24 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. 2/3 docked

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Full dock, stumpy appearence

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Luke

Luke New Member

Springer tail discussion-what do you prefer?

Hi All
    thought it would be intersting to have a springer tail discussion (NOT about anti/pro docking!) merely to do with what we all prefer..
    Full undocked tail?
    2/3 docked?
    Full dock (stumpy)?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Dalmonda

Dalmonda New Member

Name:
    z
    Ive have always said Full undocked but a breeder told me they have their tails docked because they are prone to infection as they cannot clean themselves properly?!?!?! Im probably just really ignorant lol

I prefer Full length undocked as a sort of visual preference.:lol:
  4. bellaluna

bellaluna New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    I prefer fully undocked..
  5. Luke

Luke New Member

I've never heard this before....docking prevents a whole manner of injuries springers (well most spaniels) can often become suspetable to whilst just living an everyday life-due to their sheer charcter etc.
    I voted 2/3 docked-like my ralph, just the right length so that it keeps it out of harms way-yet still enough so his whole rear end don't waggle, however i do quite like the full dock too:)
  6. springergirl

springergirl New Member

Name:
    sue
    both my muttlies have full undocked tails. my first springer had a 3/4 length, which looked good too! not keen on the tiny stumpy docked ones though!
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Full dock for me.
    Dawn.
  8. Dalmonda

Dalmonda New Member

Name:
    z
    Well im not sure if the information i was given was entirely true, i decided not to have anything to do with the breeder as she had some every strange ways :? So dont take it for fact lol :lol: I know that i have a friend who asked went she got her second dal if she could have her tail docked. Simply because her older dal hits his tail so hard on the wall it often splits right down the centre.:roll: :grin: :roll: I have bandaged Dizneys on occassion as you can just see the tail going a bright red...he as no sense of pain!!:lol: :lol:
  9. petebren

petebren New Member

Hi Luke, managed to see your great web site a couple of days agt, wot aninsult to frogs!!!! hee hee
    Only problem was I could not read the green writing, loved the site though felt friendly and your descriptions so well written can see a good future for you x
  10. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I don't mind really, but as a preference would probably go for the 2/3 docked. Looks nicer I think. :grin:
  11. novavizz

novavizz New Member

Name:
    Kaz
    Not bothered really but as a personal preference I would probably go for undocked purely on looks.
  12. Whitaker1579

Whitaker1579 New Member

Name:
    Jessie.
    I prefur fully docked.
  13. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    Full proper tail, for the dogs health and physical benefits first and foremost as well as loving the sheer beauty of a full length fully plumed happy waggy tail :grin:
  14. Zuba

Zuba New Member

Name:
    Donna
    I prefer undocked but its only on looks as i know nothing of the reasons behind docking :grin:
  15. Minnie

Minnie New Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Loui is undocked and that's the way I prefer it too!
  16. crazycockers

crazycockers New Member

Name:
    Sharon
    Full tail undocked.
  17. Sprocker

Sprocker New Member

Name:
    Rhyannon
    If I was to go purely on looks I would ay full tail as I like them natural but for a working gun dog I think a 3/4 dock is sensible, I am trying to work my two undocked and am already having problems with one of them and her tail!