Did My Good Deed General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by lovemybull, Dec 7, 2015.

1. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Azz, Phil, 6JRT's and 3 others like this.

Did My Good Deed

I read in a magazine not to long ago asking people about holiday traditions. One thing that stood out was someone who gifts their local animal rescue every year. I thought that was a lovely idea. The shelter where we got Callie is county animal control. Just six kennels and dog enclosures, then inside cages lining the inside for smaller dogs, cats and whatever other critters show up.

It's high kill and poorly funded, but I know they try their best. Rescue groups are welcome to come in and I'm sure they reach out, especially for the little guys who are easy to place. At first I thought of finding out exact count of " inmates". Then I thought what the heck...I went to the local dollar store and filled up a gift bag.

Baby blankets, squeaky toys for the big boys, soft toys for the small, catnip mice, a bag of dog biscuits and one of cat treats. Today my daughter put it on their door knob. As I waited for her in the lot, out wandered an AmBull and a boxer mix. Poor things, maybe I should've tossed toys over the fence? You wish in your heart you could save them all.

I remember when we adopted Callie. They gave us a sad little toy he slept with. It was so drooly and muddy I tossed it in the sewer. A new squeaky for a pup who is sleeping on concrete. Best you can do is pray and wish them all forever homes. Sophie is dog aggressive now. But if I could...wish you could save them all.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    Well done Leslie.
    It is so sad that there are so many displaced and unwanted dogs all over the world.
    In this area there has been an appeal for a home for black Whippet cross that has spent almost all of her 11 years in rescue kennels. However caring the volunteers are, it isn't the same as a home - though I don't suppose she knows any difference by now - that has become her home. I would like to think that those heartless people who didn't care enough, don't ever get the chance to do the same thing again - but I bet they do.
  4. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Fantastic gesture.

We also have donation boxes in the supermarket where you can buy something from the pet section and donate it to our local rescue.
  5. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Phil likes this.
    Thank you Phil, I used to work for two big box pet stores with the donation bins. In donating directly to a specific shelter I know they're getting what I've given. Those two pups I saw in the runs...a Boxer and AmBull, would have taken them both.