Retro toys/playground we had before health & safety stepped in General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by 6JRT's, Dec 8, 2015.

1. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz and CaroleC like this.

Retro toys/playground we had before health & safety stepped in

I am sure my dad loved us kids :confused: but looking back at the dangerous rocking horses he brought us when me & my brothers & sisters were small, makes me wonder :D
    All these rocking horses would be banned now by the health & safety committee :eek:

My first dangerous horse the times I trapped my foot in the springs
    1950s_Mobo_Spring_Type_Seat_Ro_as302a057b.jpg

Numerals times us kids would get our fingers stuck in the springs in this horse
    261-2014618155445_540x360.jpg

Most dangerous of them all as horse would tip right back & us kids would end up cracking our heads on the floor
    1960s-vintage-mobo-spring-rocking-horse_3409451.jpg

The times we fall of this one why trying to turn the front wheel
    sysYzYs3bfuQ.jpg

Yes health & safety has spoilt all parents fun now at seeing their children getting hurt, am wondering if health & safety had these toys when they were 2 to 12 years old that's why they have banned them these days. :D
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    They were pretty to have around though. I love that Victorian one.

I think parents are just as bad these days. Have you ever watched any of those Harry Hill home video clip shows? The poor kids need help and a cuddle, but the money grabbing parent just keeps filming!
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz and CaroleC like this.
    Then we have the dangerous playgrounds were everything was set in concrete , not a soft rubber mat in sight.

Dad use to encourage us to go down slide am positive he did loved us
    Slide.jpeg

Unless you were quick you would end up falling over
    Roundabout.jpeg

The times I fall off & broke my arm
    Rocket.jpeg

The lethal seesaws
    Seesaw.jpeg

It was the norm to see kids at school with broken arms bruised knees bumps on heads, it was part of growing up, back in the 60's/70's
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    CaroleC and 6JRT's like this.
    Oh yes, I well remember those playgrounds!

I was once gently going round on a roundabout when some 'big boys' got on and of course made it go as fast as they could. Instead of having the sense to hold on tight I was so scared I jumped off, and of course hurt myself quite badly!
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    No child minders back then dad would give us 6 kids a sandwich bottle of water & we were locked out of house why he went to work, we use to spend day on park & in the river or if it was raining went cinema to watch the 1d matinee (1 of us would pay then open fire exit for rest of us to get in) them were the days that kids played out until dust then went home to bed, not like today kids playing on game consoles/computers.
  7. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    6JRT's likes this.
    6JRTs I'm pretty sure I had the 2nd one. I barely remember think I was about 4 year old. I remember playing "cowboys & indians" with the horse my brother & my friend.
  8. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    6JRT's likes this.
    [​IMG]
    We have one in the attic
    [​IMG]
    Everybody including my kids either chipped a tooth or fell off at least once
    [​IMG]
    Usually an evil older kid would wait until it was full then spin it fast enough to throw everyone off.
    Thanks for the memories! When we were kids we played on a construction site. Rocks, mud, bricks, exposed rebar...don't know how most of us lived to be seniors.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oooh!
    I remember that sickening BUMP when the lower person suddenly jumped off the see-saw and you crashed to the tarmac.
    And ...
    The boys that polished the end of the slide with candle wax, so you shot off the end of the slide by a yard, and bruised your bum!
  10. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    6JRT's likes this.
    That delightful custom never reached my area I'm pleased to say!

We were lucky enough to have woods nearby and spent a lot of time there. However, we also had a lot of fun playing in the numerous bomb sites and the shells of houses which had been bombed. No barriers to stop anyone going in - we kids just used them as playgrounds.
  11. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    We didn't have any playgrounds near us but in summer my mother would send me off for the day with sandwiches and something to drink and I'd go to the woods or walk across the fields. I had a favourite place I loved going to to eat my picnic which was under an enormous chestnut tree. Another of my favourite occupations in the summer was making dams in streams and I'd often come home wet through!

I was given my first dog, a Lab puppy for my 12th birthday and she and I would go to Wollaton Park to watch the police horses being groomed and then buy a Dandelion and Burdock to drink. No one thought it strange that a young girl and a naughty puppy was wandering about without an adult!
  12. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and 6JRT's like this.
    I grew up in the middle of nowhere in a farm cottage and spent most of my time exploring the ‘glens’ and Burns’ with a couple of Gsd’s & Bunty the nanny goat, (who thought she was a dog) on my pretend horse !! Our cottage had a Kirk and Graveyard at bottom of garden it was famous for the ghost of Lady Flora Hastings , I was forever in there Guess I was a bit of a tomboy as dolls & prams were not my thing
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    That sounds idyllic Vee.
  14. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Janet and 6JRT's like this.
    Simple stuff that would be unheard of today. You could buy cap guns and rolls of caps for small change. Yes toy guns that went bang and smoked for children. But we would take the caps and hit them with rocks to make them crack. Or better you'd get some matches and set the roll on fire whooohooo.

We weren't neglected kids or anything. Just in suburban America in the late 60's or early 70's...you got home from school and had a snack, then you went out with the other kids to play to nightfall. The Mom's were cooking or at work, they wanted you out of the house. To us it was freedom.
  15. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Janet and 6JRT's like this.
    In the 60's here in Britain too we got home from school, got changed, had tea then out to play until it started going dark. School holidays we only saw the house at mealtimes which were always around the table together.

If we stayed in, everyone though we were sick.

Of course, we didn't have the console games they have now, but I bet we had loads more fun :)
  16. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC and Janet like this.
    Plus back in the 60's & 70's kids were a lot healthier & fitter, PE was a 5 mile cross country run which was compulsory & kids were fed dripping sandwiches {Doctors/health workers would had a fit these days if you give a child dripping sandwiches} if you had no football then we would kick a tin in the street, life was so simple back then :D
  17. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    6JRT's and CaroleC like this.
    Some of us were already grown up in the 60s and 70s!

Ah, bread and dripping! Can't believe I used to eat that. And, as a change, sugar sandwiches!
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    Married, with children as well!

Bread and dripping - a bit of a luxury as we rarely had roasts. Father got luncheon vouchers so he had his main meal at lunch time so our supper was very basic.
  19. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    6JRT's likes this.
    I'm sure it's the same idea, I remember ketchup sandwiches. My parents grew up during the depression so I guess some habits were from back then. But my Dad would take me on an outing and pack sandwiches of just bread n' ketchup. I thought they were delicious.
  20. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    6JRT's likes this.
    Or even better on a Sunday evening toasting a thick slice of bread on a toasting fork in front of the fire then spreading it with dripping and a sprinkle of salt ... yummy!

Anyone have crisp sandwiches or chip butties for lunch?
  21. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    6JRT's likes this.
    I can remember ketchup sandwiches and crisp sandwiches, but not until I was a teenager. We were probably a bit slow to catch on where I lived!

I loved toasting bread or crumpets on the fire - and we also used to do potatoes in the fire as well - delicious smothered with butter. No low fat spread nonsense then! (Though there was margarine, which was VILE!)