What is your want breed? Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by LMost, Mar 9, 2015.

1. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    6JRT's and Azz like this.

What is your want breed?

If there where no restrictions and nothing holding you back, what breed would you love to have?
    And why?

My wife surprisingly LOVES huge breeds also and has been around them forever.
    Her wish is for a Fila Brasileiro. There super loving dogs of there direct family.
    The reason we don't get one is, they will never except strangers and generally worries with grandkids and extended family.
    ( Shockingly I could actually get one fairly easily).

For me I actually have my breed. Past EM's. I would own a Boerboel, Dogue de Bordeaux or Fila Brasileiro, pretty much in that order if I could not own or get a EM.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz and LMost like this.
    1st Pitbull - grew up with them from the age of 3

2nd White GSD long time wish to have pure white one

3rd Pug love them so much

4th Chihuahua will have an spider free house these little killers are brilliant at getting rid of spiders.

5th Wolf but not in the house only if had acres of land.
  4. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Azz, Pork1epe1 and LMost like this.
    There are so many breeds I like so that's hard to say!!!!

I will always have APBT. But I've lost the tunnel vision I once had.

If I could get any breed that I'm not likely to get that would probably be Gull Terrier. There are others maybe but not how sure that I'd really want. Like Perro Cimarron. Dutch Shepherd.

If my Cane Corso's breeder bred a couple particular dogs then I'd like to be able to get a puppy.

I might one day get a Kangal from breeder I went to before but I'm not sure. (I've thought the same about Caucasian Ovcharka too).
    And while the temperament is a little different I'd probably like to have a Central Asian Shepherd. There is really not many breeders who's dogs I've been impressed with. I'm not sure if I will ever have one.

If there were no restrictions I'd get another Boerboel BUT the particular few I want their owners are NOT going to part with them. That's for sure.
  5. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Azz and LMost like this.
    My biggest regret is that I didn't discover Shar-Pei 20 years ago otherwise I'd have a house full by now. It's difficult to put into words what fascinates me about them except that they think totally different to any other breed I've owned. I can never get over how wise and intuitive they are ... I sometimes think the two I've owned,knew/ know me better than I know myself! Having said that, I'm very happy with my Miniature Schnauzer because he such an uncomplicated little man and an absolute delight to own.
  6. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    American Pit Bull Terrier. They are just everything perfect in one dog, a lot of people don't like the amount of drive or the dog aggression but that is fine with me. I just wish they were legal here.
    [​IMG]

The next breed I will own is a Saluki, they are one of my favourite sighthounds, not bothered by or interested in strangers, an endurance breed that can deal with hot weather, very intelligent and loyal to its family. I would love a smooth coated cream or silver grizzle dog.
    [​IMG]

My other breed will hopefully be an Azawakh. Very similar to the Saluki but a lot more highly tuned, very primitive, good guard and protection dogs. I would love a light cream or red bitch, though would consider a male.
    [​IMG]
  7. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    @Kitkat_ Are your familiar with Taigon?

Tyne reason why I would like to have a Gull Terrier is I think it be interesting to have close to original bull terrier. Not a barrel egg head.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  8. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Azz and LMost like this.
    If I could compose the perfect pack...space and money were no object and they were all highly cat friendly and got along with each other...
    Of course a couple bullies...
    A West Highland terrier-there's a children's book series with McGruff and what a personality, I've met many at the park.
    A Corgi or three, I love the ears and the fox face
    A Cane Corso, basically a great big Callie
    Then I'd add a Ridgeback, gorgeous dogs!
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
  10. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Azz likes this.
    It's a shame the breed was preserved elsewhere instead of their home country. Where egg head mutant has become common following trend.
  11. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Azz, Pork1epe1 and LMost like this.
  12. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Some of Ingles Bull Terriers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Azz likes this.
    Oh isn't that an adorable pup!
  14. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Azz likes this.
    What a beautiful looking dog, and just as I remember them when I was a child, yonks years ago! When Georgina and I first started training there was an owner who came to the classes with a very good example of the breed. I've no idea who the breeder was, presumably Hungarian and of course as usual I'd never had my camera with me, so no photo!
  15. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    LMost likes this.
    There are many breeds that I admire, but the GSD ticks all the boxes for me. Though did fall in love with the Akita and had 2 back in the early eighties, but after they passed on I stayed with the Gsd.
  16. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Kitkat_ likes this.
    I have my 'want' breed ;) but I'm definitely keen to have an Azawakh in the future and I really like Pyrenean Sheepdogs too lately.
  17. Mr.Bulldog

Mr.Bulldog New Member

Name:
    Mike
    A little harsh on the modern bully I says :)

People might not like the head (its the head Hinks selected as it happens) but the dog is perfectly vital, plus I've never met one that wasn't a total dude :)
  18. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    The egg head? Was Hinks still even around when the first one was born? What 1917?

I think perhaps a split would have been okay. But it's about what the breeders of the time wanted. I just wish there would have been a larger following of original type & others could have their trendy new mutant type. Seems there are still some, guess we just don't really have them them US.
  19. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    I think one of each would suit me just fine!
  20. Mr.Bulldog

Mr.Bulldog New Member

Name:
    Mike
    I believe 1917 signified the achievement of the first entirely stopless dog following the closure of the stud book, Sir Galahad or some such he was called I think. The egg had been laid down in the breed standard as far back as the 1880's. Its thought that the shape was achieved largely through adding Borzoi to the dog, people have also alleged wacky stuff like English Pointer too. Frankly for all his achievements Hinks was regarded as something of a peddler that would probably have sold his own mother. The guy himself never did see the egg fully realised, the batton had passed to Hinks jr by that point.

As far as these "Olde Bull and Terrier" dogs go I assume they are decent dogs in their own right, I've never met one of these in the flesh. However I'd be more impressed if this was some old line someone had preserved or a type they had bred back to, but they aren't, they're just crosses. The individual dog can contain anything up to 1/3 Stafford and its clear as day in a few of those photos.
  21. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    OK I understand with the specific head shape of shallow / no stop but the photos in my dogs of pedigrees of pure BT in 1880s did not have the same head type even if clearly different.
    Photos I've seen of BT in 1910s also didn't have this egg shape. Not the one the dogs have today it's very different.
    This
    [​IMG]

to this
    [​IMG]

I think the early dogs probably resembled more the White Terrier.

I see nothing wrong with people having the modern show type, it'd just be nice if there existed the old type preserved.

So the dogs pictured in the above post are part SBT? I thought they were preserved old type so that's unfortunate. Though often when restoring a breed out crossing is necessary. The Gull Terrier isn't pure by any means either in terms of BT because local dogs went in the mix but they are still a close resemblance to early BT.