What were boxers originally bred for? Questions

Discussion in 'Boxer' started by Bodhi, May 19, 2006.

1. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member

Name:
    Dizzy

What were boxers originally bred for?

I have often wondered what their original "use" was..

Guard dogs? Fighting?

And if so, what is the squashed face for? Curious!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Stewart

Stewart New Member

Name:
    Stewart
    Got this from a website

The Boxer is a powerful, muscular, playful dog that was originally bred as a guard dog and to bait bulls in Germany. A working dog, the Boxer was bred from Bullenbeisser mastiffs and bulldogs in the 1850's. This fearless and intelligent dog is used as a seeing-eye dog and as a companion dog. It was given the name Boxer because when it fights, this dog strikes with its front feet, much in the manner of a boxer.

4. nickys boxers

nickys boxers New Member

Name:
    Nicky
    They are part of the working group and were originally bred for bull baiting/hunting and guard/police dogs in germany
    the squashed face comes from the bullenbeiser and bulldogs which are in their ancestory.
  5. Stewart

Stewart New Member

Name:
    Stewart
    Lovely dogs i looked after one for a friend she was called molly and so nice tempered always putting her front paws on my shoulders trying to lick me :grin:
  6. Shadowboxer

Shadowboxer Fondly Remembered

Name:
    SB
    The 'squashed' face: the undershot jaw, the tip-tilted nose and the facial folds are a legacy from their bull and bear baiting days.

The undershot jaw gives them a better grip. The set back nose enables them to breathe whilst they are hanging on to the animal. The folds provide channels for the blood to drain away, so it does not get in their eyes or up their nose. Very useful features for both baiting and pit fighting (which they were also used for).
  7. Molly2606

Molly2606 New Member

Name:
    Kelly
    Yep think everyones summed it up i'd love one :) :)
  8. mandyc

mandyc New Member

Name:
    mandy
    As a lover of the breed and an owner of two boxers, they have also been used as search and rescue and snifferdogs in Germany. If you see a boxer out and about you will sometimes see them with there noses close to floor as they are walking along, when they pick up a sent they follow it untill it comes to a end:roll:
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    That is so true... I aways say my boy should have been a sniffer dog, as once he gets a scent of something , he will not give up till he finds what he is loking for..........if he looses a ball in the bracken, he is relentless in his search for it.