The end of an era. Rainbow Bridge

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Luke, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Luke

Luke New Member

The end of an era.

The estimable grey face as she became known in her adage, was one of the first ever dogsey pups, and in her passing comes an end of an era for me--the first time the house hasn't had a terrier in since I came into this world.
    Flo had been ill since the start of the gear with a heart murmur and various issues but for the last few months seemed to be doing okay, so when she started coughing and wheezing over the weekend I didn't think it was anything more than another bought of off colour-ness. The vets confirmed via x ray yesterday that there was an inoperable and aggressive mass in her chest and spreading too her trachea, as i posted yesterday.
    After a bit of a bad night at home I took her back to the surgery this morning where, as she had done a thousand times before, she went to sleep on my lap but for the last time. I sat and reminded her of all we had been trough together, of all the adventures we had had, and thanked her for being there to see me through from a lanky 15 year old who spent too much time in fields with terriers an ferrets, through to an adult and being there trough the good, bad and ugly in between.
    She was a huge huge character, and I and the others shall miss her immensely. I've had an outpour of condolences from masses of friends and family members once they heard the news, she manage to make an impression on everyone she ever met with her quaint little ways and quiet confidence. A simple pup who came to me no bigger than the size of a guinea-pig from a farm like something out of a Dick King-Smith book; she grew to be one of the most well adjusted, level and trustworthy dogs I and many others have ever met.
    Goodnight little Flo dog, those hairy paddle feet of yours will sure take some filling.
    A picture from "back in the glory days" before the big silvery eyebrows and dodgy eye.
    [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am so sorry Luke but I thank you for releasing your beloved girl from her suffering.

May her memory be for a Blessing.

Run free sweet Flo, run free as fast as you can. xx
  4. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I'm so sorry to hear the news of Flo's passing .... it's so hard to let them go.

RIP little girl knowing that you'll always live on in the memory of the people who loved you.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Even when we know its in their best interests, letting go is heartbreaking.
    The poem’ If it Should Be ‘does a wonderful job expressing the idea that euthanizing a pet who is suffering (or when suffering is imminent) should be viewed as the ultimate expression of love..

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then will you do what must be done,
    For this -- the Last Battle -- can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,
    But don't let grief then stay your hand,
    For on this day, more than the rest,
    Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
    Through happiness, laughter, sadness and tears.
    You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
    When the time comes, please, just let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
    Only, stay with me till the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
    It is a kindness you do to me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do;
    We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.
    In Loving Memory.

Bach & Offenbach
  6. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    So very, very sorry. In April I lost my terrier, Witty.

A house without a terrier is never the same - they always make their presence felt!
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    So sorry Luke, it really hurts to part. Your home will feel empty, but you have your memories of Flo, and the reassurance that you have done right by her.
  8. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Sorry to hear about Flo Luke :cry:

She had a great life with you, and as you said, so many friends - even virtual friends on here.

Run free Flo.
  9. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    R.I.P little Flo
    So sorry to hear about your little Flo
  10. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    So sorry for your news.
  11. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Sorry to hear about this Luke - one of our Original pups
  12. Luke

Luke New Member

Azz, 6JRT's and CaroleC like this.
    Thanks folks, the house is terribly quiet and empty feeling. I have never been terrier less and I'm not quite sure what to do with myself with having nobody to tell off, or have argue back at me. Her ashes will be back Tuesday, I think I'll feel a bit better then.