What is a good dog breed for me? Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by AndrewT1993, Jan 15, 2013.

1. AndrewT1993

AndrewT1993 New Member

Name:
    Andrew

What is a good dog breed for me?

I am looking for an intelligent, loving, loyal, a good watchdog, is good at playing fetch, and is medium sized (30-50 pounds) maximum of 21" at withers. And active but not too active.

I was looking at an Australian Cattle Dog but I only run two miles a day so I was told I could not have one. Any dogs like the Australian Cattle Dog but are not as active?

I also turned to the Kai Ken breed too but their tendency to escape is a very bad con because I live close to a very busy road and if it did escape it would eventually get hit by a car.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I was going to say ACD too..lol
  4. AndrewT1993

AndrewT1993 New Member

Name:
    Andrew
    I am like in love with the ACD but the people on the internet that "own" one have all told me that it is a horrible idea since 2 miles is no where near enough.
  5. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    An active lifestyle i read it as, a dog sport ,Ob ,agilty and such..
  6. AndrewT1993

AndrewT1993 New Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Well I don't do dog sport. I only go jogging and would only take the dog to obedience class at first and practice it every so often.
  7. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Change your life style to match the dogs needs ..lol i did..
  8. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I love ACD's too :mrgreen: but they do need a lot of exercise.

How about a Catahoula Leopard Dog - check out the photos towards the end of the thread :007:
  9. AndrewT1993

AndrewT1993 New Member

Name:
    Andrew
    My wife says the dog is too big :(
  10. AndrewT1993

AndrewT1993 New Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Here are the traits that I am looking for in a dog.

Be loyal.
    Be intelligent enough to learn obedience and tricks easily.
    Be active enough to run two miles with me everyday.
    Be able to play ball with fetch with a ball/frisbee.
    Have the ability to become my service dog for anxiety and I also have early signs of Parkinson's disease as well so also be able to be certified in that in the future.
    Be a good watchdog that can deter a would be robber (my house has been robbed 4 times in the last 6 months. I do have an alarm system but they got away before the cops got there every time).
    Be disciplined enough to not run away or escape since I live close to a busy road and there are alot of dogs hit by cars mainly huskies and shibas.
    Be a real companion, a real dog's dog.
    The dog would also go to the doggie daycare I used to work at for three days a week to play with other dogs.
    But it can't be too big a medium size dog is what I am looking for.
  11. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    A black lab.
  12. AndrewT1993

AndrewT1993 New Member

Name:
    Andrew
    My wife thinks anything bigger than a ACD is too big. I was looking at a Kai Ken but their tendency to escape is scary.
  13. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    Maybe a corgi, german pinscher or spaniel of some kind?
  14. chlosmum

chlosmum New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    How about a Shar-Pei?

They're highly intelligent and sensitive to their owner's needs ..... properly trained they make wonderful service dogs ... I have a friend with epilepsy who relies on her Pei to warn her when she's about to have an attack. Very easy to train, like moderate exercise but are also happy to be a couch potato. Good guard dogs .... woe betide anyone that broke into my house! Not inclined to stray as they like to stay close to the people they love.

Standard size is around 22 inches and 50 pounds but there is also a smaller "model" which is around 17/18 inches tall and 37 to 40 pounds.
  15. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    I'd have said a Doberman but not sure if too big?
  16. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    They're a lot taller and heavier than what he asked for.
  17. AndrewT1993

AndrewT1993 New Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Yeah I would love a Doberman but it is too big. nothing bigger than a medium size dog.
  18. Pep_Sounds

Pep_Sounds New Member

Name:
    Ash
    I would have thought with the requirements you listed, a Labrador would be ideal. I know American Labs tend to be larger than British Labs, but even with the American breed standard you are likely able to find a breeder who expects their pups to grow to around the max size you stated, or alternatively perhaps look at a Lab cross breed. If not though, the American breed standard seems to be only just over your wife's preference. It seems a shame to discount them for the sake of one or two inches and a few pounds.

Is there a particular reason your wife thinks an ACD is too big? Sometimes size can be a bit misleading as to activity levels and expected behaviour indoors, if that is the reason. Many medium-large breeds tend to fall in-sync with the energy level of the household once well trained and regularly exercised, so despite their larger size, you're not so likely to be tripping over them like you might some medium/smaller breeds.
  19. AndrewT1993

AndrewT1993 New Member

Name:
    Andrew
    No she doesn't think an ACD is too big. She thinks it is the perfect size dog anything bigger than an ACD is too big for her. I am really into the ACD but have been told by multiple people on the internet that just running two miles with quick potty break walks is not enough.

I am still contemplating the Kai Ken breed though. I just don't like that they are better escape artists than Siberian Huskies.
  20. Pep_Sounds

Pep_Sounds New Member

Name:
    Ash
    Sorry, that was a mis-type. I meant to ask if there was a particular reason your wife thought a Lab was too big. Is it just personal preference?
  21. AndrewT1993

AndrewT1993 New Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Well she not a very tall person so she doesn't want a dog that is almost as big as her. And when she was a child she got chased by a large dog. It actually took me awhile to convince her to get a dog and a medium size dog for one.