Is insurance more costly for mongrels or crosses than pedigree dogs? Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by lewanna87, Jan 10, 2013.

1. lewanna87

lewanna87 New Member

Name:
    Joanna

Is insurance more costly for mongrels or crosses than pedigree dogs?

This might be a silly question but is X insurance higher? My boy is a bit of a Heinz dog (mateseXpoodleXsome sorta terrior that broke in the garden) Our insurance is Tesco for about £5 a month thats inc staff discount so prob £6 or so. £3000 vet bills, £500 complimentary therapy with an exess of £60.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Anniebee

Anniebee New Member

Name:
    Annie
    I would say that's not a bad deal, I pay about £45 per month for my boy with PetPlan.....
  4. Roofs

Roofs New Member

Name:
    Lots
    My Border Terrier is £11 a month through Protect My Bubble, £3k per lifetime of an incident, £75 excess until he is 7. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

Interestingly my dog is not a KC registered BT so technically he could be anything as long as he looks vaguley like a Border I could get away with it, Border's are known for being fairly hardy and not prone to congenital issues so I'd have thought he fairly cost effective to insure.

I might have to check out Tesco though! (I'm sure I did but discounted it for some reason)
  5. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
  6. egroeg

egroeg New Member

Name:
    Nicky
    Thanks for that Azz, very interesting.

I've always fancied a Leonburger but perhaps I'll stick with GSDs. I suppose the size of the dog bumps up the cost because of the amount of anaesthetic needed for surgeries? Leonburgers aren't known to be aggressive IMO.

The postcode factor really fisses me off.
  7. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    I felt green this year - got Katie's renewal in and it had jumped from £19 a year to £28 a year - took me ages to work out why, she is now 8 years old and that is only for the 12 months insurance