Designer Breeds.... Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Moli, Jan 8, 2013.

1. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    Agree with the others.

If I'm paying for a puppy, i expect to be paying for not only the puppy but the time and expense taken to health test the parents, find a suitable male dog if the bitches owner doesnt have her own, KC registration etc.

If one needed a home i wouldn't say no though.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. caroljcam

caroljcam New Member

Name:
    Carol
    I am not too sure how I feel about this discussion. What is the big problem with designer dogs? I was excited about this forum, but now I don't feel welcome here because I have a Yorkiepoo that I love dearly.
  4. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Carole :) this thread is marked 'controversial' so there are bound to be a range of views included some of which you may not agree with.
    In these instances it is often a good idea to have your say and move on without taking offence.
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Hi Carol, all of these 'old' threads have been moved from the Dog Breeds section at Dogsey - where perhaps the attitude towards crosses was different.

Breedia is different, as we intend to host breed-specifc forums, and hopefully, they will be largely frequented by fans of the breeds.

Any controversial threads will be marked as such, and I think we might even restrict them to one per topic - so if someone starts yet another controversial thread on a topic that has been discussed recently, we can lock it and point them in the direction of the existing thread.

Hope that helps :)
  6. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Azz likes this.
    I meet a huge number of 'designer breeds' on my dog walks, and I have to say that every single one is a delight.

One of my dogs is the result of accidental matings - he is one quarter Yorkshire Terrier and the rest probably Jack Russell. He is such a smasher that if I ever see a Yorkie/Jack Russell cross I'd certainly consider getting it.
  7. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Oh please... isn't all of this old by now? I love Labradors and Labrador crosses but I'm not forking over money to a breeder when breed rescues and shelters are loaded with these dogs. Why can't people just breed, sell, and buy the kinds of dogs they want without getting flack from people who don't even know them? I don't think today's English Bulldogs should have ever existed, but I don't beat down the people who breed or own them. I mean... give people a break.
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz likes this.
    I work in an rescue home & we have more "Designer" breeds in then pedigree dogs or the true cross breed Heinz 57 mutts, we have more trouble with these so called "designer" dogs than any other breed of dogs, plus we are finding it harder to replace these "designer" dogs, people that are looking at adopting a new dog are walking quickly pass kennels that have the Labradoodles, Cockapoos so for, one of the reasons is these dogs are in our kennels are, because they have snapped either at an child Adult or other dog, we have had an Labradoodle in now for near on 19 months & not one person as bothered to stop by his kennel, he as been staying with foster owners for 8 months now, but even with them being good strong foster owners are finding it difficult to control him, as he will suddenly turn & snap at them why they are walking him. (he is wearing an muzzle for safety reasons) he as to be caged when at foster home which is not idea but again its for safety reasons, because we are a non kill rescue home he will live the rest of his life within the kennels & with foster owners.
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's likes this.
    That's interesting Tina - I wonder why so many are ending up in Rescue..
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz likes this.
    Mainly because they have been over bred by puppy farmers & produce underlying health problems, no one knows what size they going to end up at, plus their temperament is questionable, what looks like a soft teddy bear can hide a ferocious dog, when you have 2 totally different breeds groups like the Labrador who is in gundog group with a Poodle who is in utility dog group, is guarantee to have a very head strong dog with a food/toy guarding issues, plus both these breeds are known for attacking children under 8 years old (according to hospital data for my local area)
    2012 we had 68 designer breeds in just 6 months
    2013 we had 107 designer dogs in 6 months
    2014 we have had 82 designer breeds in just 2 months
    73 of these designer dogs were Christmas presents all bar 1 of them had bitten their new owners children.
    9 of these designer dogs have multi health problems which have surface once they have reached 10 - 14 months old.
  11. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Azz likes this.
    i work at boarding kennels and get lots of "designer" dogs and i wouldnt describe them as having any certain thing exclusive to them. i have never been snapped at by one, that tends to be the terriers. I do find them to be a bit manic but i put that down to the spaniel in most of them and the simple fact they are in kennels. The poodle ones do have an amazing coat its so soft and curly and somehow doesnt seam to matt like i expected. I believe you end up with the dog you were meant to be with regardless of breed, bought/rescue. Thats how i ended up with phoebe, wasnt looking for a dog, met her and then could no longer live without her, she had to come home. im not against breeding cross dogs but i am against breeding for no good reason from dogs that are not health checked, if im going to pay money for a dog i would want health testing.