Is my beagle too big? a beagle-harrier? Questions

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by JFraser, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Well no not really. You said the mother was a correct Beagle type. Pack Beagles are just not out there to mate with. They are working dogs. They most definitely wont have been given a name like "My Pepe" either :shock:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. EgyptGal

EgyptGal New Member

Name:
    SHARON
    It does look as. If the seller has. Told porkies but if he's a nice dog and you don't want to show ,it's not the end of the world just annoying ! Small world then ! You will have to join one of the organised walks in Sutton hoping to arrange one in the next month or so then you will probably see some other leggy beagle type dogs ! Dependant on who comes :p Would you be interested ?
  4. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    Have a google of working type beagles, Kerry Beagles and trail hounds. Fits in pretty well there.

Lovely looking dog.
  5. JFraser

JFraser New Member

Name:
    Joel
    I see what you mean sosha, some of the Kerry beagles have a look like him, in terms of their build.
    I would be interested, it'll be nice for him to be around some other beagles :)
    You will have to tell me the details when you know, I warn you, he can be quite wild!
  6. EgyptGal

EgyptGal New Member

Name:
    SHARON
    A wild beagle??? NEVER !! :lol:
  7. EgyptGal

EgyptGal New Member

Name:
    SHARON
    You need to post some ore and then I can pm you with info in future
  8. JFraser

JFraser New Member

Name:
    Joel
    A crazy one!
    Post more threads?
  9. JFraser

JFraser New Member

Name:
    Joel
    I will do :)
    I'm only 17, so Caesar is our family dog. But I'll have to organise the walk!
    He'll love a walk with all those beagles, maybe find a dog that will be able to keep him in line :)
  10. EgyptGal

EgyptGal New Member

Name:
    SHARON
    The most we've had offlead is 20 the most we have had at an organised beagle welfare charity day has got to be over a 100 possibly 200 or more ! Chaos but fun :016:
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Azz likes this.
    Are you sure that he is UK KC registered? The puppy dealers use a system called something like 'Companion Dog Registration'. This enables them to issue a glossy looking pedigree form, but does not necessarily mean that the parents are registered, so there is no check on authenticity.
    Another possibility - where was your Beagle bred? If from Eire, it could have an IKC registration, but this will be quite plainly stated on the certificate.
    I have also seen large Beagles that their owners insist are Kerry Beagles - very large and rangy in type. If you Google Kerry Beagles there are quite a few photo's which you can compare with your own. In this case, rather like Harriers, these names could be from pack records.
  12. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John
    I recently rescued a 7 year old Beagle whose looks are different from my now deceased pedigreed Beagle. In looking him over, I was thinking Fox Hound because his legs are noticeably long and he has a well developed chest, something like a Greyhound. He doesn't stand as tall as your dog but his markings are similar. Having owned a Beagle for 13 years, I am convinced my dog is part either English or American Fox Hound. He's a great dog and companion, so it doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned.
  13. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John
    Some breeders register their puppies with other than the AKC:

The World Wide Kennel Club, Ltd. was originally formed as a family owned and operated registry in Europe in 1961 to address the need for an International Registry for purebred dogs. We are now working with the German Kennel Club and Japanese Kennel Club along with other International Kennel Clubs.

It relocated to the United States and was incorporated as World Wide Kennel Club, Ltd. in the State of New York under the provisions of Section 402 in 1984. WWKC's first dog show and obedience trial took place in Fort Myers, Florida in February, 1990.
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I'm sorry John, but I'm very doubtful about the Worldwide Kennel Club Ltd. There are several of these businesses which choose to call themselves 'Kennel Clubs', and some try harder than others to try and look credible. They supply official looking certificates to anybody, for a fee, and are frequently used by dog dealers to give their puppy buyers the illusion of purchasing a registered puppy. In fact, all they supply is an expensive piece of paper.
    The name of the puppy, and the sire and dam is just whatever names are submitted on the application form, not an official record of a dog's history which is traceable for as far back as breed records permit, (and a record of their health certificates where those dogs have been appropriately tested). The only genuine form of registration in the US is the American Kennel Club, and in Britain The Kennel Club, organisations which are responsible for the granting of titles, the regulation of all forms of recognised dog competition, the maintenance of breed records, and the verification of health certificates.
  15. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John
    You are right about that. There are some breeders here in California that sell Beagle puppies primarily to people who use them to hunt rabbits. These dogs do not have pedigrees recognized by the AKC or the KC, but they are 'pure bred' in the sense their sires and dams are in the records of the WWKC which keeps the breed pure with the buyer's understanding that they can never be show dogs. The rabbit hunters are not concerned with AKC or KC registration, but they do want a dog with a heritage of good hunting qualities:

"The World Wide Kennel Club, Ltd., is an independent organization located in the state of New York. Our dog registry headquarters is located in Bronxville, New York.
    While we recognize all major dog registries as proof of pedigree, we are not affiliated with any other dog registry in the United States. WWKC registers all pure and rare breed dogs. Note: we do not sell or board dogs"