Is my beagle too big? a beagle-harrier? Questions

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by JFraser, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I wonder though mini, if one buys from a breeder that is selling goods that are not what you think, you have a case to lodge?

I agree with the buyer beware though, and these dubious clubs seem to rely on consumers not having done their homework
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JFraser

JFraser New Member

Name:
    Joel
    we just assumed that these were official documents, but i guess we were wrong!
    How would i check these KC names, to check pedigree?
  4. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi JB :) as I said in the post above anyone can print a bit of paper and call it a registration and as we know a certain company have done this for years and many unsuspecting owners have been caught that way and the company continued to trade.

If a company says the goods are of a certain brand and produce a forged certificate to support this that is fraud but I don't think that is the case here.
    I doubt very much that Trading Standards would do much in this instance...
  5. JFraser

JFraser New Member

Name:
    Joel
    do you think i should do anything about it?
    I'm just curious as to what the other half of him could be, if its not Beagle, have to get him checked out.
    he seems like he's too small for a foxhound cross
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
  7. JFraser

JFraser New Member

Name:
    Joel
    My Other Dog, the cavalier, is not on there, nor are his sire and dam, so they are not KC either?
  8. JFraser

JFraser New Member

Name:
    Joel
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    The UKC is not British, its American. The Beagle Harrier is NOT a UK breed. You bought a Beagle, unfortunately that isnt what you got. As long as you feel satisfied with the description and explanation you received from the breeder, Im afraid there is little you can do.
  10. JFraser

JFraser New Member

Name:
    Joel
    I see I see
    Thank you for your help, I wouldn't change him for the world :)
    Just curious as to what breed his sire could be :)

Thank you again to all those who replied
  11. joto

joto New Member

Name:
    Joan
    Trading standards may not be interested but IMO they should be.

So any people are being conned by these dodgy breeders into believing they are buying a pedigree puppy. They take advantage of the fact that the owners will fall in love with the pup and therefore not make a complaint.

Your puppy looks lovely anyway.
  12. JFraser

JFraser New Member

Name:
    Joel
    He's delightful, a bit naughty, but that's just part and parcel of havig a puppy!
    I do feel as if I should try an do something, the person was a dog breeder, they had quite a few dogs and could be cheating people quite regularly
    I may hav to ring the bloke up tomorrow an ask him of the dogs sire
  13. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Contact the breeder and ask for a picture of the sire. Or contact details so you can get in touch with them. If somebody used my stud dog and wanted to see him or asked for pictures, Id be more than happy to oblige. :grin: Likewise as a breeder, I would have had those details ready for you anyway. :grin:
  14. JFraser

JFraser New Member

Name:
    Joel
    We will have to see what the breeder has to say then!
    I suppose it could also be possible that his sire was a cross
    Theirs certainly alot of Beagle in Caesar, despite him being a few inches bigger than the breed standard
    Or maybe his sire was just a large beagle? I don't know
  15. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    If you were told he was UK Kennel Club registered then yeah, report the breeder to trading standards.

If they didn't say that, and their description is otherwise accurate you may not have a legal case.

If they told you he is a pure Beagle, then I would ask the breeder for proof that both his parents are Beagle.

Tbh, I would contact trading standards anyway - if enough people do then they may be more inclined to investigate.
  16. JFraser

JFraser New Member

Name:
    Joel
    I will contact the breeder tomorrow, lets see if he can prove that he's a pure beagle otherwise he'll certainly be getting reported
    On the certificate, my dog is listed as a beagle. As are his sire and dam
  17. EgyptGal

EgyptGal New Member

Name:
    SHARON
    I own beagles but also foster for beagle welfare sometimes and am in a group called beaglesuk which has beagles/ harriers of all shapes and sizes ,sometimes a working type beagle which won't be registered can be taller with shorter ears . Where about in brum are you ? We live in pelsall walsall and walk in Sutton park at weekends only place we can let them offlead :grin:
  18. JFraser

JFraser New Member

Name:
    Joel
    I See, so he Could be a worker one?
    We live in Walsall :) usually take him to arboreutum for his walks
  19. JFraser

JFraser New Member

Name:
    Joel
    Have you come across dogs like him before?
  20. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    if he was working type, he would have been bred to type, i.e both parents working type.

But you said you saw the dam, and I assume since you think he is to big, the dam was the KC (small) type.

So again, if you were told he was a Beagle, the sort you expected , then the breeder is not being truthful/
  21. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I must have seen you in there, I live just off the broadway!! :grin: