German SHEPHERD dog Working Dogs

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Moobli, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I assume Zak is used to sheep and not normally bothered?

I'm just wondering, if that is the case, how you then make the move to allowing him to get interested?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks both. He did a little bit of pen work today. I can't see him setting the sheep herding world on fire, but I have the hope that he will be a useful dog when we are done with him :grin:
  4. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Zak always had an interest in the sheep but has never been madly prey driven (like Yogi) to chase, grip and even worry. Zak has chased after lambs a couple of times but didn't grip, bite or even attempt to (which surprised and pleased me - especially after I have seen him dispatch numerous rabbits). He has always been either kept away from the sheep, or just kept under control when around them.

So, it isn't a difficult job to reignite his interest, and I am hoping to build on it, but to also keep control of it. He is currently interested to learn and is quite happy and relaxed around the sheep, but isn't madly dashing in to grip at every opportunity. He is quite a steady dog in many respects, so I am not completely surprised.
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Some photos from our short session this afternoon in the pens.

I want Zak to feel comfortable in close proximity to the sheep, and for them to feel at ease around him.

Getting to know you

[​IMG]

Simply moving the sheep at a nice steady pace from one pen to another

[​IMG]

Getting the measure of one another

[​IMG]

He needs to learn not to rush his sheep!

[​IMG]
  6. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    Oh, he looks like he is really coming along well! Even in such a short space of time, I am sure he will be a pro soon enough :grin:
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks Lozzi :grin: I am pleased with him. It is nice to be able to do some training/work together without having to drive miles to a dog club :grin: He seems to be enjoying his new career so far too :mrgreen:
  8. LupiLu

LupiLu New Member

Name:
    Susan
    Fantastic photos and what a clever boy, you must be really pleased with how he's coming on! He's looking absolutely gorgeous. My OH is not keen on a WL dog - he thinks they're "ugly" (silly man) but I keep showing him photos of Zak and even he thinks he's a wonderful looking dog :grin:
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I am very pleased with him. It is quite hot here today, so think I will wait until this evening to do anything with him. Hubby is also busy cutting hay today, and I prefer to have his watchful eye over us, in case either of us does anything wrong :grin:

Thanks for your kind comments. How can your OH think WL dogs are ugly :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: They are wonderful beasts :007: You keep twisting his arm :lol:
  10. PB&J

PB&J New Member

Name:
    Jess
    Really interesting to see. Clever boy, Zak :)
  11. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks PB & J. I am glad you found it interesting :)
  12. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Kirsty, you have the patience of a saint...... ;)
  13. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Pretty good for a first attempt!

Although maybe he stopped because he was worn out and couldn't catch one for lunch rather than pretending to work? ;-)

Good luck!
  14. LupiLu

LupiLu New Member

Name:
    Susan
    No need to worry - the arm is so far twisted it's on back to front and although grumbly he's accepted the fact that MY next dog is going to be WL :lol: :lol:
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Do I??? :017: I am intrigued? :grin: :grin: :grin:

He has had two attempts now :mrgreen: Did you see the second lot of pics on page 3 :)

Haha brilliant :mrgreen: He will never look back :lol:
  16. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    does he know how to gait Kirsty, if you teach him this first he might not then gallop after the sheep, hopefully patience and time may allow you to work them, does your hubby know a GSD grips differently by kneck or rump

There used to be a lady down south that used GSDs but hers were from generations of HGH breeding
    theres a guy in Derbyshire that uses Rotties with his cattle
  17. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    absolutely brilliant. keep it up big fella. well done Moobli.
    and well done Zak.
  18. scout75

scout75

Name:
    scout
    So great to see!! Can't wait for more pictures as his training progresses.

Am very jealous.....:grin:
  19. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    that sounds a great idea Wildmoor. so he just goes into a "patrol and guard mode" rather than "scatter or attack mode". is that what you mean?
  20. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks for the tips Pam. I haven't taught Zak to gait but his usual movement is a fast trot, only ever really galloping when he really picks up speed. I think around the sheep he just got excited. How do I train him to gait? I will certainly give it a go.

Hubby knows nothing about herding GSDs apart from what bits on DVD I have shown him, so it is a steep learning curve. He is aware that a GSD works totally differently to a collie though so isn't expecting too much from him. We have all the time in the world, so are going to take things slowly. With the type of terrain and sheep we have, I don't think we will be able to expect much more than to be able to drive sheep from one place to another (with the help of collies too), pen work, holding sheep in one place and the all important "that'll do" :) It is good fun though.

I have been told about an all black GSD (Fouranfass) called Zorro that works sheep - have you heard of him? I am trying to find some youtube vids of him working I have been told about, but without success so far.
  21. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks Jeagi.

Thanks Scout :D It is a shame you can't find a friendly sheep farmer in Wales to help you train Kofi, as I seem to remember he had some herding skills with your chickens in Italy? :)

:005: Jeagi ... Zak may pick up his pace when excited but I am very happy to say he hasn't scattered or attacked at all :grin: Unfortunately, although the GSD is a pastoral breed, so many people have the idea that they are terrible sheep killers :-( A reputation that is probably deserved at times, but I don't think there would be many farmers or shepherds happy to give Zak and I the chance if I weren't married to one!