Border Collie quick question Showing

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by K'Ehleyr, Jul 11, 2012.

1. rune

rune

Not to mention that if they do have the drive they don't have the right brain wiring to use it!

Generalising of course :grin:

rune
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    You have already had the answer to your question regarding showing?

Do you intend to show your future border collie or do some sort of work or sport with him/her?
  4. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Me? My question kinda got lost in the discussion above :lol: I want to do agility, I like showing too though. Ishka has wonky ribs so showing unfortunately wasnt for her :( . I wont be able to do any herding unless I find some sheep in Liverpool :lol:
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Yes the question was for you :grin: :grin: :grin:

It would be interesting to find out how many show bred collies compete in agility. If it were just for fun, then I don't think you would have a problem - but if you are wanting to compete seriously in agility then you would probably be better looking at a working bred dog. Unfortunately, most working bred dogs would not do well in a show ring.
  6. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    If I get one I was thinking about maybe getting a show type and doing agility too. Im still rubbish at agility myself but at least I have K to learn with so serious competing is a long way off. Ive never had a BC and as said with the mal I wonder would I be able to handle the intensity of a working type as my first one.
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    If you were considering a show line simply because it is your first BC, then I would reconsider. If you want to show your dog, then yes, go to a good show line breeder. However, if agility is more your thing then there are loads and loads (and even more) border collies in rescue just looking for an active home. Many of the BC breed rescues test the dog's aptitude for sheep/farm work and if there is little or none, then will place the dog in a pet home. If you go to one of the reputable breed rescues (BC Rescue in North Yorkshire, Barbara Sykes in Yorkshire, Wiccaweys http://www.wiccaweys.co.uk/start.html) they will assess both you as a potential owner as well as the dogs that come in, and match you up with the right dog for you.

Of course if you were preferring a pup, then the best advice I could give would be to go to as many agility competitions as possible and speak to people about their collies and which breeder they came from etc.

Good luck :)
  8. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Thank you. It is a long way off yet I still have loads to learn :grin:
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Exactly :D Loads of time to read up, meet as many BCs and their owners as possible, and to prepare :D
  10. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Though I wouldnt turn down the oppurtunity to dog nap Star off TBBS :lol: :lol: :007: :007:
  11. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Keewee's brother Ike is doing Agility in County Durham & they were bred to...........work sheep
  12. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Erm yes and .... :017:

Everyone on here has said that working collies could be a good choice as an agility dog. So your point is?
  13. rune

rune

Celts show bred sister runs at the top grade----but I still wouldn't risk it!

rune
  14. AliceandDogs

AliceandDogs New Member

Name:
    Alice
    My very show bred but very agility obsessed border collie, Alfie. We can't compete much due to my work commitments but I don't think being show bred has held him back....... the only thing that's held him back is his rookie owner!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    He's very gorgeous thanks for sharing :007:
  16. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Alfie is lovely :049:
  17. Jfk

Jfk New Member

Name:
    Jo
    My current agility dog is isds bred and both parents were owned and worked by shepherds. I purposely chose an isds dog as I wanted a dog with potential high drive for the ring. Personally now I would go for an isds dog every time.
  18. rune

rune

If that is what I was looking for so would I---there is just no comparison between my two----however they are extremes both ways!

rune
  19. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    The BC I had chosen as a Stud dog was a WT ch. (WT Ch Flynntastic Red Jaff of Tarnforce)

His owners have had several BCs which they compete with at WT, and while I was with them, showed me Videos of their dogs and other BCs working at the KCC's (?)
  20. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

Jaff is owned by John and Kate Wykes, and there are DOZENS and DOZENS of WT Champions in Border Collies and the Border Collie OUTNUMBERS all the other breeds put together in Working Trials. ;)
  21. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I know ;) I stayed with them a few days :lol: