Looking for a new breed any ideas? Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Caesar Dobbie, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Caesar Dobbie

Caesar Dobbie New Member

Name:
    Pete

Looking for a new breed any ideas?

Hi everyone,

I joined this site today. I've always had dobbies and German shepherds but considering getting a new dog soon. Looking for a medium size breed with a good temperament and a quirky personality! Any ideas?

I'm retired, kids left home and happy to go on walks as often as possible. As for characteristics... that's a difficult one to describe... the usual, friendly, trainable, but a little quirky for good measure. I also have a 9 year old doberman who is soppy and gentle. (but looks scary!)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. zoeyvonne

zoeyvonne New Member

Name:
    zoe
    Hi I would say a Staffy ah for me perfection..... and so many out there needing great homes :mrgreen: and I can't rescue em all :-(
  4. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    How about a German Shorthaired Pointer. Mine has many of the characteristics of my Dobe cross GSD. He is also quite like the GSDs in some ways, being keen, eager to learn and very bonded to his owner.
    It is also interesting have a gundog I find, as it opens up a whole new field.
  5. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Some suggestions :)

Duck toller
    A medium sized terrier like the Irish or Kerry Blue
    Kromfohrlander
    Poodle
    Staffie
    Some kind of spaniel; Clumber, water
    Vizsla
    Portuguese water dog
  6. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Labrador x
  7. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Norwegian Buhund.
    At the smaller end of the spectrum but full of character.
  8. SneaksyWhippet

SneaksyWhippet New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    Welcome!

I'd have to say a whippet if you want quirky...although perhaps they are TOO quirky!
  9. Fernsmum

Fernsmum New Member

Name:
    Ali
    You would love a whippet if you want quirky :lol:
  10. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick
    I agree with the Whippet suggestions - good choice
  11. PawpawMittens

PawpawMittens New Member

Name:
    Chelan
    I have an American Eskimo, and I would be happy to suggest them to people! Mine is full of personality, and has sooo much character! (Though she is the only Eskie that I've had so I can't say if this is just her, or if it is the same for the whole breed.)

I've met a Whippet before, and they are indeed quite quirky!! :005:
  12. louise!

louise! New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Another vote for whippet! They are definitely quirky :lol: But also beautiful, athletic and affectionate :D

Also chiming in with standard poodle. Gorgeous, highly intelligent and guaranteed to catch people's eye.
  13. Caesar Dobbie

Caesar Dobbie New Member

Name:
    Pete
    Hey, thanks for the suggestions everyone. Looking forward to doing a bit more research on all the above suggested breeds. Will let you know when I've decided.

Thanks
  14. chlosmum

chlosmum New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    If I wanted quirky .... and I mean quirky .... I'd opt for a Tibetan Spaniel every time - although they are smaller than you specify.

They're facinating dogs, with happy go lucky personalities, highly intelligent and Tibbies soon have you and your dobbie wrapped round their front paw. They're equally happy sitting on the back of an armchair watching the world go by or going for a long walk.

And if your TV breaks down no need to worry about being bored because Tibbies are born comedians and will keep you entertained for hours!
  15. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    many choices, how about a smooth collie.......... do you want a long haired or short haired dog?
  16. Dobermonkey

Dobermonkey New Member

Name:
    Claire
    seriously how could yuo ever consider anything else?? :)
  17. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    That was my thoughts too, nothing as blimmin quirky as a fruitloop dobie :lol:
  18. maria123

maria123 New Member

Name:
    Nikita's Mum
    I rescued an 2yr old Akita 3 weeks ago and I would also suggest them to people! mine is full of personality and so much character and she is my first Akita i have owned and she is alot of fun and quirky too and she loves her walks and playing and fetching her toys
  19. pingu007

pingu007 New Member

Name:
    BECKY
    ooh what about an australian cattle dog?? very quirky but need lots of exercise very trainable, lots of character and full on!!