What breed would you recommend? Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Alice Childress, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Well they are by nature, noisy, guardy dogs that may not like a lot of strangers visiting you. They often have poor recall and are stubborn, independent and very intelligent. Quite similar in temperament to the Bernese but tend to be lazier. Their protective nature can be seen as either a good or bad thing depending on whether you like your dogs friendly and outgoing or reserved and aloof. They can be taught to be less barky but can't be expected to keep quiet if something is amiss (in their view). My bitch has a very typical Estrela temperament is friendly when introduced to people but indifferent to those she doesn't know. People certainly won't get an enthusiastic greeting from her unless they are close friends, but she will calmly allow them to stroke her. If someone tries to stroke her without being introduced by me she will duck out of the way. People think she is being shy but she doesn't want to be touched by strangers - as I wouldn't.:grin: If you can accept the temperament as being poles apart from how most people see dogs (ie. the Hollywood style friendly slobbery jump all over you type) and can accept that it will want to be with you but won't always want to openly show affection then you can consider an Estrela. I find I have the most amazingly close bond with Rio - she is my soulmate. Sometimes she looks at me and in her eyes she is smiling, though I'm sure only I can see it. It's hard to describe but my relationship with my Estrelas is more complex somehow than with the other dogs. Anyway I'm rambling on.....
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    I agree with Madmare (not that i'm biased of course!!)...a greyhound would be good. There are plenty of greys (ex-racers or not) who are very calm and not at all prey driven. My Guinness IS prey driven but my friend has 2 ex-racers who are not. Another friend has 2 that live cats and are in fact scared of them. Another friend has one that just mooches and never runs as he can't be bothered!
    Don't forget, not all greys in rescue have raced. Some don't want to race and have very little prey drive.
    If you speak to a greyhound rescue, they would advise you on which grey is the best for your lifestyle.
    Did I tell you too that they are major couch potatoes?!!:p
  4. DollyDog

DollyDog New Member

Name:
    D
    What about a show type cocker spaniel?

-small/mediums sized so good for taking them out and about
    -soft hairy and floppy ears
    -can't speak for other peoples but mine is happy with a 30 min walk or 1 and a half hours or more.
    they do need grooming but its not necessary to take them to a groomers. a regular brushing and quick trim here and there is fine.
  5. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    I think it depends on the dog whether you would need to take it to the groomers. Lots of show type Cockers have tons of coat and you simply couldn't do it at home without forking out for professional equipment and probably having some grooming training. Most of the Cockers I see need to be professionally groomed every few weeks, especially if they are neutered.
  6. DollyDog

DollyDog New Member

Name:
    D
    Maybe I'm just lucky with my girl then.
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Sorry, I was forgetting the limited exercise on offer. Not sure there are many larger breeds that would be happy with only one hour a day though :? As has been suggested, possibly greyhounds - but then, they aren't very fluffy :lol:

I think you are probably wise to consider a smaller dog to fit into your current lifestyle - but I would definitely steer clear of any working strains of the breeds you like, as they tend to require more in the way of exercise and training.
  8. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    OP has already stated that they want a pup from a breeder...

Golden retriever was my first thought, I know a couple that love their walks but as soon as they get home they sleep until dinner time!
  9. coventrycatfish

coventrycatfish New Member

Name:
    Bek

Not all ex racing Greyhounds have a high prey drive. Mine lives happily with a cat and shows no desire to chase if he sees other cats when out walking.

The person who fostered him before I adopted him said she had fostered about 30 Greyhounds (ex racers) and Lurchers and only one of those was not okay with her cats. That one was an ex working Lurcher.

Greyhounds are generally very laid back and undemanding dogs. Although you don't see many pups around, there are plenty of youngsters who haven't made it as racers out there needing homes and they are quite long lived for a larger breed.
  10. Alice Childress

Alice Childress New Member

Name:
    Alice
    I was thinking more around an hour and a half, but yeah I know that means a lot of the working breeds are out.

I do keep coming back to cockers... I was original put off for two little reasons. Firstly, although I think they are beautiful, I've always felt they were a bit too pretty for me :blush: and secondly that I've heard they are surprisingly high energy and again need hours of walks. You say that you find them happy with anywhere between 30 mins and beyond?

*adds cocker spaniel to the list*
  11. DollyDog

DollyDog New Member

Name:
    D
    Yeah if I only give her a 30 min walk she is happy, if its way more than that she's happy too :) i think tbh she is just happy when she is with someone - i think they are quite clingy.
    My cocker really isn't that pretty when rolling in dead things and fox poo haha.
  12. Alice Childress

Alice Childress New Member

Name:
    Alice
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  13. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I was going to say a show strain cocker ticks all your boxes and has amazingly floppy ears until I saw the bit about the groomers.This is not much of an issue though......either learn to do it yourself or just drop them off for a show tri m or a short back and sides or somewhere inbetween dependent on choice.They are lovely lively merry little dogs that have superb personalities and will curl up on your feet after a romp with no problem! They are a smallish dog with a big dog personality.......I am biased though having an adolescent blue roan Buttons!
  14. chaospony

chaospony New Member

Name:
    Chaospony
    I had a cocker when I was young and it was a great dog, Muffin even though she was black wasn't what I would call too cute, she had a big dog personality and was always happiest when out messing about getting dirty!
  15. marianne38

marianne38 New Member

Name:
    marianne morris
    We have a Golden Retriever, they do need at least 1 hr exercise a day, then they settle. They are big and hairy, and do need brushing every day.

As for cats, we have 2 cats so mine is fine, but like most dogs they need to be socialized with cats when they are young. :lol:
  16. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    Personally I think how much exercise depends to some extent on what you do with the dog to be honest. A 2 hour walk on leash would tire mine out a hell of a lot less than half an hour off leash playing with another dog does ;-)

I live in a small flat and own a Labrador and as long as his needs are met he's great. I play with him a fair bit, do clicker training with him and at the moment he gets about an hours proper walk each day (he's too young yet for unlimited exercise) and several trips to the grassy area to toilet. The flat being small and having no garden simply isn't an issue for us, if anything it means I have to get off my backside and walk him ;-) I've also owned a border collie in a flat and it wasn't a problem with him either.
  17. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    Cavvie king Charles!
  18. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    Madmare & Zoe covered it pretty well from your first post in this thread. I'm a first time dog owner with a retired Greyhound and he's brilliant. He takes as much (up to about an hour and a half) or as little (sometimes a walk round the block or quick run off lead) exercise as I can give. He doesn't live with a cat, but doesn't go crazy when he sees them. It IS in the minority, you yourself said your friend had "one" that was like that, a good rescue vets the dogs first to establish prey drive and if suitable for first time owners.
    I don't know anything about the temperament of horses, so won't comment.

Anyway, sorry for going OT, but I felt the need to defend them. As for the posters situation, you've said you want a puppy - what about a small spaniel like a Cavalier or maybe a Chinese Crested dog? Good luck in your search :D
  19. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    Julz11 I Helped reschool a ex racehorse who 4 months off the track at 5 years old was sold to an elderly lady who'd not sat on a horse for 30 years and was very nervous. He's been with her nearly 18 months now and is yet to put a foot out of line. There are exceptions to the rules!

Personally from the list the person made Id say a Cavvie. That's what I gained from that list. Nice quiet undemanding dogs who love people and have lots of fluff and floppy ears but don't need professional grooming. Far and away the easiest breed and for someone that's willing to groom they are a perfect first dog.
  20. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Welsh springers tick all the boxes floppy ears, iong coated and dont need loads of exersize as long as there with you their happy.
  21. 3dognight

3dognight

Name:
    phil
    go small, and keep it simple for a first dog,try an eldery mutt from a rescue!!!one whos got lots to give ,just like you....um i can send you one if you like!