For those with boxers Questions

Discussion in 'Boxer' started by kammi_sparky123, Jul 25, 2011.

1. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:
    Thanks JB!

With Sarah the possible dog aggression would be the biggest issue for me...

I was ill a few years ago and now my sense of smell is about half what it used to be.... so that is in my favour then :lol:

You say "same sex" aggressive, if I got a MALE boxer then, would it help already having a male dog in the house? (I was planning on getting a female lol), or would this not change anything?

ETA: I love training (even on the bad days), so I am not overly concerned with the rest as such! Obviously all will be taken into account!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    It will all depend on the individual dogs, some can live happily in same sex households, its more outside meeting other male or female dogs.

They are a breed that does not back down from a fight (in most cases) and many will , if they meet a similar temperament outside in the big wide world, will square up to the other dog, and a fight may occur,
  4. IsoChick

IsoChick New Member

Name:
    Shelley
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can also tell you about how Max has bitten almost every employee at our vets, how he knocked me over and nearly broke my nose, and how both of my boys want to kill next doors dogs....

I've got 2 male Boxers in the house (both neutered) and have never, ever had any issues with them. This could be because they are only 15 months apart and are a proper 'pack' between themselves... we joke that they must share a brain, cos they can't do anything seperately!
  5. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Ahh I see cheers.

Have yours been in many fights/are yours aggressive at all?

ETA: Oh wow! Lovely pics (the first few :lol:)

Are your two fully DA or just the neighbours dogs they dont like? lol
  6. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    It's a risk you take with any breed I suppose, it's just that some are more pre-disposed to it than others. I'm dealing with dog aggression with Rupert so it's not like I can't handle it, I'd just prefer a friendly dog. Or at least one that doesn't morph into Cujo at the mere sight or sound of another dog like Rupe does.
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    As IsoChick has kindly demonstrated.. the answer to that is yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you dont want a 30 kgs lap dog (or two) sitting on your knee then dont get a Boxer, its part of the territory I am afraid.
  8. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Noo I WANT a cuddly dog :lol:
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    i`ll give you my experience.

Bandit was never DA, he was a real sweetie, but as he became and old man he woudl be a little intolerent of some bolshy dogs, nothing I would consider DA, more a handbags at dawn.

Millie on the other hand is DA.. to all dog if she gets the chance, she does not discriminate:lol:

Its been alonghard challenge, but she makes up for it in other ways.
  10. IsoChick

IsoChick New Member

Name:
    Shelley
    My two are awful walked together - they will gang up on any dog they see as a 'threat' (i.e. any dog at all).

However, on their own, they are much better - Max would rather not mix at all, which is fine; and Murphy wants to be friends with every single living thing on the planet - complete opposites really!

There have only been 3 'incidents' in 5 years. 1 was a 'blind corner' incident involving both Max, an akita cross and Hevvur's Teagan. The other dogs owner was useless and rather than helping us seperate the dogs, stood and shouted at his dog to come back. No injuries, no vet bills, just hyped up dogs and knackered owners....

2nd was when some of next doors dogs kept coming into my garden. We've had issues with the neighbours for a while. 3 or 4 of them came into the garden and my boys tried to get them. Result was an emergency rush to the vet for Max, 3 claws (including 1 dewclaw) had been ripped out. No injuries to Murphy or the other dogs (springers, lab)

3rd was when we ended up with a foster dog for several nights before he went to his proper foster home. He was another male Boxer and he and Murphy just didn't get on. Lots of noise, no injuries.
  11. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    Great pics IsoChick.
  12. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Well after everything I must say the DA would be the main thing that could put me off if anything.... Alfie ADORES playing with other dogs so would want to be able to take them to places with lots of dogs you see.... that is my main concern of all the things so far
  13. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
  14. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Awwww :D

He got any issues with other dogs?
  15. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Not really....
    Like any dog he will defend himself ..
    But would never start anything ,.
    Taken him to shows to events never had an issue ..