Honey - how much does she look like a Greyhound. Photos

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by chaz, Apr 1, 2011.

1. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie

Honey - how much does she look like a Greyhound.

As I've had so many people not realise that Honey is a cross, including people who run Greyhound rescues, and people who work at racing tracks (although that was pics), I'm wondering compared to the standard, how much is Honey like a Greyhound?

General Appearance
    Strongly built, upstanding, of generous proportions, muscular power and symmetrical formation, with long head and neck, clean well laid shoulders, deep chest, capacious body, slightly arched loin, powerful quarters, sound legs and feet, and a suppleness of limb, which emphasise in a marked degree its distinctive type and quality.

Characteristics
    Possessing remarkable stamina and endurance.

Temperament
    Intelligent, gentle, affectionate and even-tempered.

Head and Skull
    Long, moderate width, flat skull, slight stop. Jaws powerful and well chiselled.

Eyes
    Bright, intelligent, oval and obliquely set. Preferably dark.

Ears
    Small, rose-shape, of fine texture.

Mouth
    Jaws strong with a perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. the upper teeth closely overlapping lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

Neck
    Long and muscular, elegantly arched, well let into shoulders.

Forequarters
    Shoulders oblique, well set back, muscular without being loaded, narrow and cleanly defined at top. Forelegs, long and straight, bone of good substance and quality. Elbows free and well set under shoulders. Pasterns of moderate length, slightly sprung. Elbows, pasterns and toes inclining neither in nor out.

Body
    Chest deep and capacious, providing adequate heart room. Ribs deep, well sprung and carried well back. Flanks well cut up. Back rather long, broad and square. Loins powerful, slightly arched.

Hindquarters
    Thighs and second thighs wide and muscular, showing great propelling power. Stifles well bent. Hocks well let down, inclining neither in nor out. Body and hindquarters, features of ample proportions and well coupled, enabling adequate ground to be covered when standing.

Feet
    Moderate length, with compact, well knuckled toes and strong pads.

Tail
    Long, set on rather low, strong at root, tapering to point, carried low, slightly curved.

Gait/Movement
    Straight, low reaching, free stride enabling the ground to be covered at great speed. Hindlegs coming well under body giving great propulsion.

Coat
    Fine and close.

Colour
    Black, white, red, blue, fawn, fallow, brindle or any of these colours broken with white.

Size
    Ideal height: dogs: 71-76 cms (28-30 ins); bitches: 69-71 cms (27-28 ins).

Faults
    Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Note
    Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    I'm not much good at deciphering standards...but did a quick check for Greyhounds of similar colours (I work visually)...what do you think of the similarities to this one?

[​IMG]
    from http://www.ourgreyhounds.co.uk/picture_gallery/pages_31_40/gallery-34.htm

I'd say based on that her ears are a little bigger? To be honest, if I didn't know what she was I'd think she was a Greyhound too...she's not very different and as a long dog does have a lot of Greyhound likely to be in her...
  4. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Looks like Collie in her to me.
  5. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    She's Grey/Saluki, but I think both of mine show more Grey then the other breed, I see what you mean about the ears, the tail carriage is also different, but the body very simalar, apart from Honey is a midge at 24tts, so below the standard asked for, she's just a petite girlie ;) to me, I see a difference in the face too, but that could just be that they are not clones lol. Also I love the Grey you showed, he's gorgeous :D
  6. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Really, can I ask where, must admit thats the first time anyones said that of her, so I'm intrested to see what collie traits you think she shows :).
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Cant see much Saluki. Can see maybe whippet, would explain the blue fawn colour, can see collie, thisker ruffed hair around neck and more slitty eye.
  8. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Tbh if I didn't see the parents I would of thought whippet, she's small IMO, although not tiny, her face is quite slim, and sometimes I've wondered whether the Saluki mum was actually a cross, but she's the one that came from a breeder, although no questions where asked of the mums pedigree, so I'm wondering if maybe she did have whippet in there somewhere?
  9. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Dawn do you think the the slitty eyes are still in these photos? As looking back, with the head shot she's looking towards where the sun is, and in the body shot she's watching a rower down river, again towards the direction of the sun, so I'm wondering whether the sun is having a impact on that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. *SJ*

*SJ* New Member

Name:
    SJ
    I would say it's definitely her head mainly that shows she's not full greyhound. Also she is too small, that said though it's easy to see why she gets mistaken for a Grey.
  11. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    On that last picture you posted, I do see Saluki in her profile. She's gorgeous! Also the last but one picture she doesn't look full Greyhound. I can't put my finger on why...
  12. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    I definitely see saluki in her. I can see she is not full greyhound but that's because I know greyhounds. I can see why people who don't know would mistake her for a greyhound.
    Greyhounds can be large or small. I've got a big boy yet I've met some much smaller one...mainly female.
    My lurchers always get mistaken for greys, even when they are walking with Guinness who is full grey.
    There were two women sat on the prom and we passed with all 5 dogs. One asked the other if they were greyhounds and she thought all of them were! Danny is a bull lurcher, Jenny is a greyhound whippet cross, Poppy is a staffie whippet cross and Otis is a lab collie cross!:mrgreen: Only Guinness is pure grey!
  13. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I must say I do think out of all of it I think its her face that is so different, but I couldn't say why, but thanks, you just let me know what I couldn't put me finger on :D

Thank you :) the second to last is one that Clare (lilypup) says that she looks like a mouse in, maybe thats why ;) :lol:.

Thank you :) must admit when on the Greyhound walks I see some that are a simalar size to her, but never the males, which probally makes sense really :) but I have to say I really laughed about Otis, bless him, how does a dog of that mix look anything like a Grey :? :lol: :lol:
  14. trevorfrie13

trevorfrie13 New Member

Name:
    Trevor
    I have watched greyhounds run for 50 years and I see Lurchers or Longdogs today that I mistake for Greyhounds. All I do is look at earmarkings although I appreciate that this only indicates greyhounds registered for racing and a dog without the markings could well originate from 2 greyhounds. I think that all running dogs are superb athletes, a greyhound bred to win Crufts would match the standard but it wouldn't run as well as what I call a greyhound.
  15. Can17

Can17 New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    i love then:007:
  16. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I know what you mean about the different types of Greyhounds, its a shame though, as I thought that breed standards were put in place to protect breeds and keep them true, so surely the better example should be the one who excels at what they were and are bred for.