What do YOU think she's mixed with? ID this breed/mix

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Crysania, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Crysania

Crysania New Member

Name:
    Crysania

What do YOU think she's mixed with?

I'm always fascinated to see what people think my dog is mixed with. I honestly have no idea though I have several guesses as to the possibility. So here, for your viewing pleasure are some pics!

To give you an idea of her size, she's about 50 pounds and 21 inches tall. She's all black except for a little bit of white at her haunches and stray really tiny patches of white hair on her chest. The pink spot on her nose in the first pictures is a cut. ;)

A few head shots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some body shots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    Border Collie x with something.

her back end looks a little like my spaniel x's
  4. Crysania

Crysania New Member

Name:
    Crysania
    I was just going to ask for a picture of your spaniel's back end but then realized that's sort of creepy. LOL
  5. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    hehehe, he is snoring his head off atm, so I wont tell him someone wants to see his butt!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I would have said Lab x BC possibly with something else thrown in the mix. I think Lab more than Goldie, anyway, mainly due to the fact she is all black. I'm not too hot on genetics, but if she was Golden x Border Collie, what would the probability of her being all black be? as far as I am aware Goldens are not capable of producing black? I suppose the most common colour of BC's is black and white, black being dominant...but if bred to a recessive coloured dog (Golden) could that produce all black puppies? I have no idea. :lol:

I know quite few Lab x BC's and they are all black and white (big white chest and/or paws), not a solid colour.
  7. Crysania

Crysania New Member

Name:
    Crysania
    I've seen one person with a BC/Golden mix who said it was a known mix and the dog was mostly black. The Golden color was actually a mutation. Originally the dogs were all black, but some were throwing yellow puppies and then people started breeding them. But I'm not sure about genetics. Black is, I think, dominant. I also understood from some reading that short coats are dominant as well, which is why I've leaned toward a longer-coated retriever in my thoughts on her. But anything is possible.

Most of the BC/Lab mixes (known ones) that I know have short hair.

Someone really needs to do a book on dog coat/color genetics!
  8. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

yup I was thinking lab x collie

deff collie :)
  9. Crysania

Crysania New Member

Name:
    Crysania
    The solidness of her coloring throws me too. She has some brownish highlights in her fur and only a bit of white on her chest and haunches. You can see the grand total of white hair on her chest in this picture.

[​IMG]

And here's where you can see the white at her haunches.
    [​IMG]
  10. Fivedogpam

Fivedogpam New Member

Name:
    Pam
    To be honest, I can't see collie in her. She looks more like lab/retriever from the expression, ears and stance, either Golden or Flatcoat. She's very photogenic whatever she is!
  11. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I would have said Flatcoat too. You could always send away for one of those DNA tests where they tell you which breeds your dog is?

Jamie keeps threatening to do this with Parker as he says he cannot be 100% Kerry Blue terrier as he is such a wussy!
  12. Crysania

Crysania New Member

Name:
    Crysania
    I keep thinking she has to be mixed with something smaller than a retriever. She's only 50 pounds and her snout is much narrower than any retriever I've met. The labs and Goldens I know have much wider faces than she does. Her paws are also super tiny compared to the retriever's paws. She looks so dainty next to my friends Goldens!

She could be anything, really. It's interesting to see what people come up with! I wish those DNA tests were accurate because I'd jump all over that!
  13. Daxi Delight

Daxi Delight New Member

Name:
    Frances
    I had a Golden years ago, he came from Gundog lines and only weighed 55 pounds fully grown. He was quite fine and people always thought he was a she! His face was narrower too - just to confuse you even more!!:lol:
  14. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Lab cross collie with a bit of springer in her maybe.
  15. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Flat coated retriever X Golden Retriever??

Magnificent tail :)
  16. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Stunning fur baby. Make me think of Collie , Retriever and Lab........stunning, stunning, stunning xxxxxxxxx Thanks for sharing xxxxxx
  17. Crysania

Crysania New Member

Name:
    Crysania
    Thanks guys! It's always interesting to see what other people see. And what people are "sure" of. We really have no idea. She was picked up as a stray so no one knows WHAT she is. I have an idea, but I could be way off! I've always thought she was some sort of herding breed (Aussie or BC) and some sort of retriever (Golden, Flat-coat, maybe lab, though her long fluffy coat always makes me shy away from labs).
  18. Skyesmum

Skyesmum New Member

Name:
    Jann
    My guess is BC cross flat coat :grin: she looks quite a lot like my Aunties boy (he's a battersea rescue) who i'm certain is a collie/flatcoat ;-)

Jann xx
  19. Crysania

Crysania New Member

Name:
    Crysania
    It would actually be kind of amusing if she WERE a BC/Flat coat mix. Not long before we got her, when we were thinking about a dog, we met a beautiful BC/Flat coat mix named Valentine. He was so elegant and so sweet and he was so well trained and I remember us thinking "Wow I hope we get a dog like that!" Maybe we did! lol
  20. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Hmm...are Flat Coats a popular breed in the USA?

Her side profile looks more like a Collie shaped muzzle, but head on she screams Retriever type. I would have thought Lab would be more likely than Flat Coat given how much more numerous they are.
  21. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Lab x - shes very pretty