Myth Or Fact: "Labradors remain puppy-like far longer than other breeds." Discussions

Discussion in 'Labrador Retriever' started by TabithaJ, Mar 21, 2011.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Myth Or Fact: "Labradors remain puppy-like far longer than other breeds."

I read on several sites that Labs tend to calm down around the age of three.

But recently we've met several lovely Labs at our local park - they were all playful as pups and looked young. Turned out two were six years old and one was eight!

In fact most of the Labs we've met are very playful, irrespective of age. My brother's girlfriend's Lab is ten years old - but you'd never know it from his behaviour!

So what do other Lab owners think? Do Labs tend to remain 'puppy like' longer than other breeds?

Or is that just a myth or generalisation...?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    boxers stop being a pup around age 7
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    its a myth, many breeds remain "puppy like" into old age;-)

Make that 8, 10, or 11:lol: :lol:
  5. wilbar

wilbar New Member

Name:
    Angela
    Several people also told me that when I first got Barney:lol:

I don't like to generalise about behaviour or be too breed-specific, but my two definitely have their moments & Barney is normally the instigator of lots of the play sessions between my dogs & my friends' dogs.

I also think there's a lot of anthropomorphism in this too ~ labs often have that silly "grin" on their faces when they play which leads us to think they're just silly pups/children even when they are adult dogs. I think it's more to do with our anthropomorphc interpretation of their facial features than the fact that all labs retain puppy play behaviours longer than other breeds. And a lot of play behaviour depends on how a dog is brought up, early life expereinces etc etc.
  6. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    English Setters never grow up...just when you think you can trust them, around 8 years of age, they will do something totally daft like chew the leg off the table, or run off and make you look a fool...then it's back to square one all over again :roll: :lol:
  7. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    :lol: :lol: Mine still thought he was a pup at 13 :roll:

I think lots of breeds remain very puppylike and playful into old age, as long as the body is willing the mind isn't far behind. My two Dobermann bitches can do serious they just prefer not to and at 5 years old can have a tendancy to behave more like 9 months old :roll: I can't see either of them doing mature any time soon.
  8. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    Compared with a flatcoat an adult labrador is a very mature and sensible dog. Flatcoats do grow up but they retain their love of life, play hard and have a strong sense of the ridiculous, acting the clown until they die - They are called the Peter Pan of dogs and the description suits them perfectly. Flatcoat owners just have to accept that being serious and mature is beyond their capabilities - then rejoice in what they are and join in. :lol: :lol: :lol:
  9. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Some will be puppylike, some won't. A friend of mine has lovely show line Labs and they are all laid back and calm, but then I know people with Labs that are still super bouncy in middle age. They can be an excitable breed, but I reckon it has a lot to do with lines, diet and training too. One of my friends has two labs, one was from dogs4u in Manchester, he's about 7 years old and mad as a hatstand, and her other one is from a show kennel, about 3 years old and totally chilled.
  10. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Very interesting. I gather 'dogs4u' is a pet shop supplied by puppy farms...?
  11. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Thanks for this, I LOVE Flatcoats so this is really interesting!
  12. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

LOL LOL - you may indeed have a point here :)
  13. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
  14. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    A lot depends on the breeding. My Labs past and present have slowed down at around the age of 4. That doesn't mean to say they are not up for playing/training/running with other dogs, they are, but they are very chilled the rest of the time.
  15. wilbar

wilbar New Member

Name:
    Angela
    For most dogs, regardless of breed, play is something that comes naturally, is part of the growing up & learning process & with our neotenised domestic dogs, often carries on through later life ~ because it's fun:grin:

But many us know or are aware of dogs that have had a very rough start in life, or have suffered trauma or been abused. Sometimes those dogs have never had the opportunity to play; they've spent all their time just trying to survive:-(. Then, by chance, they end up in a home or rescue where they come to realise food is abundant, humans can be quite nice & life's not all bad. And then they start to play:grin: ~ & isn't that just the very best thing to see:grin:
  16. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    How about springers - someone tell me they mature quicker so I have some glimmer of hope that Louie will grow up soon - silly lab part ;)

I'm joking, Louie is his clown self but can slow down and often does - and he's 10 months - everyone asks how he is being ESS x Lab and they guess that he is crazy and out of control - but he's not - he's quite mature. IMO
  17. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I think Labs are definitely quite an immature breed, so tend to stay "puppy like" for a long time, but you could probably say that for any individual of any breed.
  18. Ravenwood

Ravenwood New Member

Name:
    Fleur
    Nope, my lab was born an old man!

Honestly, if he was human he would be wearing a smoking jacket and slippers from 6 months on! He has always had a very old head on young shoulders.

My Springer on the other hand - well, I simply can't imagine he getting old :(
  19. roxi

roxi New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    Yep our lab boy is like that :) always Mr plod and not much between the ears bless him :mrgreen: old before his time but a proper gent :grin:
    Our female lab is only a year younger and always been much more lively and still is at 7.
    Our Vizsla on the other hand is a different kettle of fish!!
    :p