Labrador ears - Looking for products that help itchy ears Health

Discussion in 'Labrador Retriever' started by TabithaJ, Feb 25, 2011.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Labrador ears - Looking for products that help itchy ears

Dex has ongoing problems with his ears; itching is the main problem but he also had a 'growth' which thank goodness did respond to treatment and was benign.

My query is: do any fellow Lab owners (or other breed owners) have any products (conventional or alternative) which they have found helpful with dogs who suffer itchy ears?

The vet does not think it is mites. She does not seem sure what it is but just keeps telling me to use ear drops and to clean Dex's ears - easier said than done as he goes beserk...

Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. candie

candie New Member

Name:
    sally
    My labs always had ear probs and thornit solved them.However haven't had expericne of a growth hun:grin:
  4. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Thornit ?

Many thanks, am about to google it :)
  5. paulandfloyd

paulandfloyd

Name:
    Paul
    Does he go into water often? did the vet look down his lugs with an endoscope, to check nothing is stuck....a seed?
  6. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Thornit's fab hun I use it on most of my springers except for Dice who I've told you about on the other thread.
  7. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ... I dont want to sound harsh...but if you cant clean your dogs ears or medicate what do you expect??

id concentrate on getting your guy used to having his ears touched/cleaned..i think thats the real crux of your problem not the treatment he is receiving(that u cannot administer)
  8. foxychic

foxychic New Member

Name:
    amanda
    I had a german sheperd that had bad ears due to alergys in her food . x
  9. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Aww - poor boy - nasty associations with ears then.

I love Thornit - fab stuff, but I would spend 5 mins before every meal, just touching and stroking his ears - then feeding him straight off....make some nice associations with ears ;)
  10. Ravenwood

Ravenwood New Member

Name:
    Fleur
    Itchy ears can be a symptom of something that you would think is something completely unrelated!

For example - is your dog fully up to date with his worming? Is he due to be wormed?

Does his diet contain too much protein which can cause skin irritations - perhaps take a look at what he is being fed.

Is your dog bored? Could this be a nervous habit?

That is of course if the obvious of ear mites has been discounted

All food for thought ;)
  11. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I am unaware that protein per se can cause skin irritations, can you give me some examples please?

A key cause of grotty ears is yeast overgrowth, remove carbs for 8 weeks and see if that makes a difference.

I agree with Tupacs, to be able to handle your dog all over is absolutely essential for its health and safety not to mention the vet. So rescue or pup, I start every day as I mean to go on so that the dog is happy to be handled.

This is where clicker training comes into its own.

Have you ever watched how they have clicker trained very dangerous animals in zoos so they are relaxed about having blood samples, examinations, toe clipping done etc?

It might give you some ideas.

Cleaning every day with sterile saline is a good idea and Quistel is an EXCELLENT cleaner; Thornit is not a recognised veterinary licensed product so your vet cannot recommend it but it is also useful in some situations.