Greyhounds and Rabbits Questions

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by BonniesMummy, Feb 8, 2011.

1. BonniesMummy

BonniesMummy New Member

Name:
    Sarah Jane

Greyhounds and Rabbits

Is it a no go?

I would love a greyhound, so many in rescues especially in Essex where I live, and I have an eight year old collie cross who would benefit from a girly friend around 2-5 years old. We have just rehomed Alfie our foster puppy, and he did enjoy having him around.

They seem lovely natured, and easy going and just seem perfect for us. However....

I have three rabbits who live in a shed plus huge run in the garden. I dont want the greyhound (or any dog!) to chase them up and down their run. Obviously this could happen.

If I went to a rescue and explained our situation with Rocky and the bunnies , do you think they would know if a greyhound who would suit us, or is it a complete no go?

Thanks in advance x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    [​IMG]

Image from google...it can work sometimes! I think you should talk to the Greyhound rescues and see if they have any dogs that would be suitable. You'd have more chance I think if they live outdoors rather than in.

I think it regardless of if they are 'small animal friendly' or not, you'd still have to do lots of work initially. Axel saw some Degu's at a friends house recently, he was VERY interested at first when they moved, but soon settled. I think if you're willing to work on it, then I'd say it's not a complete no go. Obviously you'd have to be highly vigilant at first, but you'd always have to be careful, just in case. They were bred to chase when racing, but some are happy to retire from that. I'd personally say unless they're naturally super keen, then it could work if you find the right dog :)

Hope that helps :)
  4. BonniesMummy

BonniesMummy New Member

Name:
    Sarah Jane
    Thanks, they seem like the dog for me, i was initially looking at a cavalier as thats what I had before, or a similar "small fluffy" dog, but i think rocky prefers dog similar in size to him height wise, and a dog that would like to play with him.
    And i just cant have another young collie or retriever type due to the excessive ammounts of walking.

I would like a dog that say a half hour walk a day is enough, but then longer walks on the weekends, but also one thats willing to play with Rocky, but at the same time be friendly and docile and gentle, which to me "seems" right for a greyhound but please someone tell me if i am wrong because this is a new avenue I am looking at.

obviously my bunnies and rocky come first so this dog has to suit us, and I wont have my bunnies chased. Rocky hated the buns when i got them four years ago but now he couldnt care less, so i know I will have to put in some work, but i dont want to be living in fear that my dog is going to get them as soon as they get the chance.
  5. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    Well, all Greyhounds have different personalities, same with all dogs regardless of breed. But having said that, the things you've said are fairly standard for lots of Greyhounds. Axel gets between half and hour - an hour every day and sometimes an hour and a half. If it's much longer than that he struggles, he'll also lie down at any opportunity, so yeah, if you find one with a similar energy level then that would be fine.
    Do you have anywhere nearby you can use for an off-lead run? Most ex-racers still like a run around every now and again.
    If you are dedicated to the cause (as you sound) then after a lot of on-lead work with the rabbits, then you'd probably get a similar result (dog depending). Do you have anywhere in the garden fully secure and away from the rabbits for safety? Just for the initial safety of all parties. If I ran a Greyhound rescue, I'd find a dog to match you and let you adopt one, you sound ideal :) Greyhound Gap might be worth a call, as they have most of their dogs in foster homes, so know a lot about the personalities.
  6. BonniesMummy

BonniesMummy New Member

Name:
    Sarah Jane
    Well my rabbits live in a 6 x 4 shed with a permanent attatched 10 foot run so when we first got the dog I would shut the bunnies in their shed and just let them out when the dog was inside, and then gradually show the dog to the rabbits and vice versa, their shed is secure its not a hutch where they will be "seen". To be honest my buns are very lazy and spend about an hour outside a day so they wouldnt suffer while they got used to each other.

I did contact one in Little Totham, clarks farm and explained our situation and they said they would let us have a timid girly dog as they think she would blend in with our family well, but obviously nobody in mind as its not until summer.

I live in Great Totham which is a village full of fields and places to free run, its a very nice place for doggies :)

Im very pro rescue so obviously will only be getting a rescue girly. Would love a "fawn" coloured dog or pure black :)
  7. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    There's lots and lots of black Greyhounds around, so plenty of choice! I hope the right girl is available when you're ready :) Sounds like a good plan, gradually getting them used to each other. Sounds like the rabbits aren't bothered, which will help the dog, flighty rabbits will make for an interested Greyhound!
    Good luck with it all! (and lots of pictures please!)
  8. BonniesMummy

BonniesMummy New Member

Name:
    Sarah Jane
    My rabbits couldnt be bothered. I do have the rabbits free range in the garden once every few weeks because i refuse to let them be lazy but I put our existing dog away for that anyway so thats not an issue.

My mum isnt so keen, i was on the cocker spaniel side of things a few days ago and she would prefer a dog like that, but we shall see.

Whatever dog ends up here it will be very very spoilt
  9. BonniesMummy

BonniesMummy New Member

Name:
    Sarah Jane
    rather than start a whole new thread can you tell me the difference between italian greyhounds and greyhounds? I know size obviously. Also wondered if they are also in rescue?
  10. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    I don't think there's anywhere near as many in rescue...I don't know for sure, but I've just googled it any not many rescue links came up.
    The reason for this will probably be that there are thousands of Greyhounds bred each year for racing, whereas as far as I know, Italian Greyhounds aren't. They are also a lot smaller than you originally said you wanted. There certainly aren't as many Italian Greyhounds around if that's what you mean :) Sorry, hope I've answered your question, I'm not entirely sure.
  11. BonniesMummy

BonniesMummy New Member

Name:
    Sarah Jane
    Yeh I had a look myself and it seems that way. I like them both, I originally wanted a small dog, but my dad wants a bigger dog, etc etc, to be honest I would be happy with either, so many greyhounds about and theres a rescue down the road from me so while i think the italian greyhounds look adorable, when theres a rescue so close it seems silly to wait for another varied type.

thanks so much x
  12. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    I got my greyhound from Clarks Farm in Essex they cat test thier hounds and usually have about 70 in at any one time, so there is bound to be one that would be suitable. My boy lives happily with a hamster and guinea pigs and I know he would be easy to train around a rabbit in the home from the way he reacts to them when out. He is also fine with small dogs etc.
    Not sure whereabouts you are in Essex but Castledon greyhounds is another rescue and I am getting another in 3 weeks from RGT Suffolk which is on the Essex Suffolk border. There is also I believe one in Harlow.
    Like all breeds they are all different and some have a higher prey drive than others.
  13. spockky boy

spockky boy New Member

Name:
    qwerty
    I was going to suggest Clarkes Farm... Met some really lovely people who help run the place. They have a website too if you google Clarkes Farm.
  14. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    Not heard of Clarkes Farm, gonna check out their website :)
    I think it's certainly a case of there being more Greyhounds than Italian Greyhounds. Do your parents get the last say?
    Good luck with whatever you choose :)
  15. BonniesMummy

BonniesMummy New Member

Name:
    Sarah Jane
    No I do, im 23 and the dog will be 100% my responsiblity, I have had a dog before when I was eight and she died last year and even when i was so young my parents didnt have to do much, I was so devoted to that dog. my brother still has his dog Rocky, so the main thing is that this dog has to get on with rocky but he has to actually LIKE her rather than tolerate her.

He is such a sap with other dogs he will let anyone bully him, but he loves "soppy" female dogs, my uncles dog before she died would come round every so often, a big golden retriever and he would adore her because she was just as pathetic as he was :D

so it is up to me, Im finishing uni in the summer so thats when i can get a dog, I would rather get a dog that they like because I want them to enjoy it with me, but its not essential.

I might go down to clarks farm over easter and just see the dogs and see what sort of feeling I can, if they are right for me or not, if they would be okay with that. x
  16. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    They would be fine with that and you could walk some for them as well as they have so many dogs there they are always desperate for volunteers to walk them and help out. Just give Steve or Sandra a ring first to let them know when you are coming.
  17. *SJ*

*SJ* New Member

Name:
    SJ
    The below website may be of interest to you. This walking group has grown and grown over the years and now have walks in lots of different locations. They would be more than happy for you to go along and you'll be able to find out first hand from people who have already adopted retired greyhounds.

www.greyhoundwalks.co.uk