Hazel need's your help, lump on leg. Health

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by Paul Groom, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Paul Groom

Paul Groom New Member

Name:
    Paul

Hazel need's your help, lump on leg.

My jack russell cross last week developed a lump on her rear leg on her knee joint. it's size goe's up and down by the hour. it's not sensitive to her. she takes no notice of it. it feels like fluid. My vet sent me away with the words " dont have a clue" . I'm supposed to take her back if it stays. Any idea anyone ?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Sounds like she's knocked it on something and fluid has built up to protect it like it usually does. You could try a bit of ice, the frozen peas in a tea towel for no more than 10 mins a time and see if it goes down and stays down perhaps? If the vet wasn't too bothered, it should just be a knock of some kind, I would have thought. Good luck with her.
  4. Paul Groom

Paul Groom New Member

Name:
    Paul
    Hi. what concerns me is the fact that it can be small and after a short walk it grows to the size of two pence coin but round with presumably fluid. then an hour later it's gone down.
  5. wilbar

wilbar New Member

Name:
    Angela
    It does sound like fluid on the joint. I assume that it doesn't affect your dog's movement & isn't painful.

I'm a bit surprised at your vet's attitude ~ not very helpful for a concerned owner to be fobbed off with "I haven't got a clue"! But then at least the vet didn't think it was serious.

Possibly try a bit of rest, lead walks, more frequent but shorter walks?
  6. Paul Groom

Paul Groom New Member

Name:
    Paul
    thank you for your response. i phoned vet again and had a good moan. they agreed another consultation. and now Hazel has to return next week for them to take a sample of the fluid.
  7. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Seen this before.Rest fixes it.It's like housemaid's knee.The vet was right but he should have explained it to you rather than dismissing you like that.CHANGE VET!
  8. Paul Groom

Paul Groom New Member

Name:
    Paul
    sorry for long wait, bit shell shocked. Hazel had a biopsy about ten days ago. The lump turned out to be a tumour on the joint. All treatments far too expensive and no guarantees. comfort and wait.
  9. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Oh I'm so very sorry to hear this latest news, you must be devastated.:-( It seems very strange that it originally went up and down by the minute though:? , but you can't argue with a vet I suppose. Good luck with her, I hope you can keep her going for a while yet, and if not, I hope you find the strength to let her go, I'm so sorry.
  10. Kanie

Kanie New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    I'm sorry too. I read this thread when you first posted, because my dog had something similar and my vet gave me a similar verdict (as in 'not sure - it'll probably disappear') and it did; down to a very tiny, hard lump and then nothing.

You must be so utterly shocked - I really feel for you:-(
  11. k9paw

k9paw New Member

Name:
    H
    Am so sorry to read this :-( will be thinking of you both x
  12. suecurrie

suecurrie New Member

Name:
    Sue
    I am so sorry Paul. It must have come as such a shock. How old is Hazel?
  13. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    If it hasn't spread is amputation a possibility?An old bitch of mine had a bone cancer tumour on a back leg that was very aggressive - you could just about watch it grow.She was 9 when her leg was amputated and went on happily for another 4 years.
  14. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    My mums dog bizkit had a tumor removed and biopsies. We were told it was a very aggressive sort of cancer and that it was in the lymphatic system... We were told rest and live and ring when the time seemed right to let her go... That was about a year and a half ago and biz is still going strong! Selkie my 14 yr old Samoyed was diagnosed with cancer 3 years ago. Neither have had any treatment other than rymadil for pain relief.

Cancer is an odd disease. It can strike suddenly and take them quickly, or it can just lie in wait for years not seeming to effect them at all.

Lots of love to you and your girl. Remember she has no idea she's ill, but ic you treat her like glass she'll worry, so just take every day as a gift and try to be as normal as possible I hope you have as many happy years together as we have been blessed with.
  15. Tori

Tori New Member

Name:
    tori
    Im so sorry to hear this ((hugs)) x.
  16. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    So sorry,

Hug to you both