Should of called my pup Houdini General Chat

Discussion in 'Cocker Spaniel' started by skippy440, Jan 21, 2011.

1. skippy440

skippy440 New Member

Name:
    Lee

Should of called my pup Houdini

Funny thing happened this morning at 2 AM.

I took my Cannon out for out nightly walk and when we got back he went and had a small drink of water and I put him in his crate, which I from the first day I picked him up, got him trained to.

Now normally he would lie down and sleep until I got up at 5AM and took him out to do his business.

However, early this morning I felt something jump up on bed, and assumed it was the cat, who quite frequently comes up and sleeps for while before moving on to the bed to continue with his 'cat naps'. I continued to sleep and was woken up by the licking of my neck at 4:30AM. It wasn't the cat though, it was my puppy.

Somehow my 20 week old puppy has figured out how to open the side gate of his crate, and proceeded to my room and joined me in bed. He did it again today while my sis-in-law was home with him this afternoon. Who says that cocker spaniels aren't intelligent.

So now I guess I could either put a lock on the gate, but I'm worried that he might hurt himself while trying to open it again now that he knows how to do it. Or put his bed and favorite blanket in my room and let him sleep with me.

I'm going to try him with me tonight and see how that goes. He's pretty well house trained with only the issue of going to the door, but not barking and just sitting quietly there ( I wish he would bark or make some sound to let us know he wants to go outside).

Has anyone else had this happen?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Yes, my ESS worked out how to climb out between her crate and pen. I do have a video somewhere, but it's very dark and difficult to see.

Like you we came down in the morning to find her snuggled up with our old Lab, instead of in her crate. Videoing her was how we found out about her trick! :lol:

We attached a roof to the pen in the end to prevent her getting out. Everyone has different opinions re leaving a dog overnight or taking it with them. Either way all I'll say is pick an option and stick with it. If you're not consistent in the early days you may well set yourself up for some difficulties later on. ;)
  4. skippy440

skippy440 New Member

Name:
    Lee
    Well it has been almost a week now and my handsome boy is now sleeping upstairs with me in my room.

I still put him in his crate once in a while if I need to and he is okay with that. Just at night, he wants to sleep with me in my room rather than his crate. He lets me know when he has to go, so accidents aren't an issue, but he does snore let me tell you.

I'd still like to see how he got out of the crate and unlatched the side door:?:
  5. Can17

Can17 New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    My boy he loves chewing my stuff.:071:
  6. skippy440

skippy440 New Member

Name:
    Lee
    Hopefully he will outgrow the chewing phase. Mine is not nearly as bad as he used to be.:mrgreen:
  7. Can17

Can17 New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    he is cute but he is bad:021: :078:
  8. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Oh to have a dumb dog again! Oliver figured out how to open drawers... there's hours of chewing amusement for him in them drawers!

he's back to being in a crate again!
  9. Harley & Me

Harley & Me New Member

Name:
    Rose
    awww what a clever and cheeky boy, I bet you found it hard to me mad with him as I know I would...lol!

I think you did the right thing and put a bed for him in your room, I bet he much prefers that to his crate as he gets to be with you.

RE mistaking him for the cat at first, lol! We have also done this as Harley can get up so carefully and gently sometimes that your asleep and just think its the cat. You then wake up later and realise it was the dog. Harley is a golden retriever so quite a biggish boy but yet can be so light when sneaking on the bed.

Thanks for sharing :)