BC and Aussies Questions

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by SLB, Jan 18, 2011.

1. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee

BC and Aussies

What is the difference?

I cannot tell the difference between a red and a blue merle BC and an Aussie, well not now docking is banned. Before it was BC's had long tails, Aussies had short..

Anyone help?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    aussies didnt have docked tails anyway... they are born bob tailed or long tailed...

think the aussie is a bit stockier and bulkier than a collie...
  4. NCA1

NCA1 New Member

Name:
    Nikki
    Many aussies that weren't born with a bob tail were docked before the ban, as some are born full tailed, some bobbed and some 3/4 length.

To someone who isn't 'involved' with either breed, i guess it would be hard to tell the difference- but for example, show type and even some working line Aussies seem 'chunkier' than collies, and i think a little taller, perhaps thicker fur; the show type in particular very very rarely (that i've seen) have pricked ears, unlike with collies, where it's common. The working aussies i've seen don't seem to have real pricked ears either, although they are a bit more upright than show type. Temperament is said to be different too of course, but that's not something you would really know about until you lived with or worked with the both of them i guess.

I'm not sure if it's ok to post links on here, so to see some working type Aussies in the uk, i'd do a google search for Topeka or Remuda aussies- for show type, try Armatan, Triforce or Ninebark aussies (that one is in the US and has some gorgeous dogs and gorgeous photos). Maybe find a few Border Collie breeder sites and compare the look of the two, and take a look at the Kennel Club breed standards for other differences.

Hope that's helped a little! :)
  5. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Amberslade is of course an excellent kennel name to look for if you are interested in successful working lines in Aussies! ;)

IME Aussies are far gobbier!
  7. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    i love aussies!
  8. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB

i can do gobby..i have a roughie!
  9. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Aussies have a different head to a BC (unless of course you are looking at a show BC which has a more domed head). I saw a gorgeous Aussie at a WT last weekend and even though it had a long tail I could tell straight away it wasnt a collie.

When my collies depart this earth they will be replaced with Aussies.
  10. Lama

Lama New Member

Name:
    Jill
    My Aussie enjoying the beach :grin:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2011
  11. Lama

Lama New Member

Name:
    Jill
  12. Lama

Lama New Member

Name:
    Jill
    Dont think I have quite got the hang on posting piccies
  13. Lama

Lama New Member

Name:
    Jill
  14. Lama

Lama New Member

Name:
    Jill
    apparently my message is to short?
  15. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    Stunning dog, you can post the picture and write on the same post...they are showing up fine :)

As for posts...think you have to have ten characters minimum.
  16. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    gorgeous dog :mrgreen:
  17. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    what a stunning dog.

Aussies and BC's have very different faces (( think anyway) and the ears are different.

Im researching this breed atm, need to improve my dog training skills and get saving some cash!
  18. Greenflydogz

Greenflydogz New Member

Name:
    Flydogz
    Apart from aussies being squarer, stockier and never having prick ears, BCs and Aussies herd livestock in very different ways. I also think BCs are "sharper" and more intense (bordering on OCD!), whereas Aussies mature much later and are known as "clowns" at home.

Collies work in a crouch and stare at the livestock. Aussies never drop there heads into a crouching position. Aussies tend to be better with cattle, and BCs better with sheep. You never (at least I've never) seen a merle BC working livestock, but you frequently see merle aussies working.

BCs herd with a stare, and were bred to cover vast areas of mountainous Scotland. Aussies were bred to herd vast numbers where a stare wouldnt hack it! They use their voices, often barking at the livestock and nipping their heels. (anyone who has live with both breeds will confirm that Aussies are much more vocal than BCs!!)
  19. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Hmm that is a brave quote, I think although the black and whites may be the colour of choice I can assure you that Merles can and do work livestock! ;)
  20. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Indeed, Lotsadogs on here has a red merle BC who works sheep.

That is a beautiful Aussie in the photo, i've been looking at litters again today. Dont know why as i'm in no position to get one!
  21. Lama

Lama New Member

Name:
    Jill
    I've owned both, not sure which is noisier. Around the agility ring I'd say the BC's. My Aussie dosn't make much noise but when she does it horrible like most collies yaps