Old greyhound - young lurcher - managing differently aged dogs Questions

Discussion in 'Lurcher Forum' started by charliew, Sep 6, 2010.

1. charliew

charliew New Member

Name:
    Cathy

Old greyhound - young lurcher - managing differently aged dogs

We've had Bonnie for 5 years (an 8 year old greyhound) and Charlie for 3 months (1-2 year old lurcher) - both rescue. Finding it really difficult managing 2 dogs of such different ages. Charlie's jumping up, biting and chewing furniture is on the increase. He gets plenty of exercise, good food, kongs, hides - you name it - but seems to be getting increasingly demanding. Any suggestions?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    Hi.
    What kind of exercise and routine are they in? Then maybe we can give bit more advice.
    Welcome to Dogsey :)
  4. charliew

charliew New Member

Name:
    Cathy
    Morning walk on and off lead for up to an hour, kibble breakfast, lunchtime walk for 30mins, dentastix or hide, 30min walk 4ish, kibble meal - a few extras for training - that's it in a nutshell.

Thanks for the welcome - looking forward to learning some hints and tips.
  5. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    Your dogs sound like they have a nice life :) your Lurcher to me sounds a bit like a child...you are trying to please it with 3 walks a day, giving him chews, kongs etc but it is not enough for him.
    All dogs should be able to settle down for some quiet time, especially after a walk!!

I have quite a mix of Dogs. My greyhound loves a run and a good walk, but does not need as much exercise as my others, so I try and include other stuff for the others on our walks, such as a swim or a game of retrieve, while the hound has a little breather!!

Perhaps some training classes for your Lurcher would stimulate him a bit too and help any problems such as the jumping up.

I still think there must be a way tho of getting him to settle a bit more at home, getting him into the routine of having a walk...then going into his bed for a while....maybe other dogsey peeps can give better pointers on this?!

Good luck and would love to see pics :)
  6. charliew

charliew New Member

Name:
    Cathy
    Thanks for this - I suppose having had such a laid back greyhound it's been a bit of a wake up call with a lurcher who's the complete opposite - and it'll take longer to get him into a routine. Fingers crossed we hang on in there and things start to get better
  7. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    I have a 4 year old lurcher who's a bit of a nutter!! I ended up using Zylkene tabs daily for her to calm her. That along with good exercise is really helping.:mrgreen: