Giant Malamutes?? General Chat

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Koda, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Koda

Koda New Member

Name:
    Tiff

Giant Malamutes??

theres these people over in the US i came across (hudsonhuskies?)
    and their mals look HUGE!!:shock:

do they breed them to be bigger and bigger? if so, how?
    x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Adam P

Adam P

They breed giant sheps/mals ect in the states.

I don't have a problem with it except they tend to only select for the size not the health or temperment.

Adam
  4. Koda

Koda New Member

Name:
    Tiff
    I see what you mean, but everything tends to be bigger in the states haha....
    i take it no one breeds them in the UK then? strange..they're expensive out in the US from what i've seen...
  5. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Bigger not better as they are not to breed standard ... Fad.... Like teacup dogs ..... But big lol

many seem plagued with health issues
  6. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

They are nothing more than very large Mals, selected for size and this has been the only consideration for several generations. The vast majority don't health test and I am thankful it has never caught on over here. You will see the odd larger Mal over here and some lines are bigger than others, but the vast majority are within the breed standard.

What on earth has price got to do with it? Many 'giant' breeders are not reputable, the handful that are don't charge over the top for them. You will find unreputable breeders everywhere, selling pups to anyone for an extortionate price. It doesn't just happen with 'giant' Mals ...
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2010
  7. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I think we had this convo a few years back.
  8. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

Yes we did :lol:

Lovely White Mal?
  9. Koda

Koda New Member

Name:
    Tiff

I just meant they add the expense onto them making people think they are "rare" etc and therefore will probably pay out for them, i know it doesn't just happen with the giants.

I wouldn't want one of these, they look adorable *as do all mals* but the extra weight etc can't be good for their hips and like you said everything else is comprimised to create this huge dog, My OH saw them and wanted one - you know what men can be like "oooo Bigger the better" so i just wanted some peoples replies on here to show him, bigger isn't always better!!
  10. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    That was a good memory on your part xxxx
  11. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    What is the difference between a Giant Mal (well any giant dog really, who is normally big , but not that big) and a Giant Dog Breed eg St Bernard? In terms of health implications I mean?
  12. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Good question, i'd like to know too...
  13. Adam P

Adam P

I don't think there is any, its just that great danes are already huge so the breeders select for other things beside size (temp and health).
    Were as Giant Mal breeders seem to select only for size.

Adam
  14. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Do Giant Dogs (I mean usually smaller sized Giants) live less than their smaller relatives?
  15. Noushka05

Noushka05 New Member

Name:
    Jo
    i would say yes, there will be more strain on the heart and the joints,

anyone breeding Mals bigger than the breed standard dosent care about the breed their only motive for breeding is ££££