BUA- The British Utonagan Discussions

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by alady??, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalasin

Kalasin New Member

Name:
    Kalasin
    Do you have any links about it and the tests etc? Just looked it up on Wikipedia but it's mainly about humans rather than dogs :roll: . If both parents were clear what are the chances of him having it?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    hi :)

dont panic...its a blood sample sent off thats all. ;-) ;-) :mrgreen:
  4. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    "IF" both parents were clear, he should theoretically be genetically clear himself, as clear to clear only produces clear. But I would ask to see BOTH parents certificates. If she had the litter tested, ask to see the relevant test certs for those too, you should of had one when buying if this was done with the litter.

The blood test is just that, the DNA is a swab test you send off.
  5. Kalasin

Kalasin New Member

Name:
    Kalasin
    So would they do this along with the DNA profiling as routing then? Or would you have to ask for it specifically?

Thanks Tupac :) I wont panic until I get results. Right now my main 'panic' is for having him castrated and finding a decent vet to do it!
  6. bugzy

bugzy New Member

Name:
    kelz
    Kalasin, it's very simple for you to get your lad dna tested for Vwd yourself..

this company here charges $65 dollars for the test, so it's relatively cheap

https://www.vetnostic.com/vetcart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=30

this company ( vet gen ) is very well known and used to be used by a lot of the Dobe fraternity for testing..

http://www.vetgen.com/canine-vwd1.html

and then there is the british animal health trust that now test as well. (although I think this is the blood test, and not the dna test )

http://www.aht.org.uk/diag_clinpathis4.html

It's a very simple test, dna cheek swap is all that is needed.

I will be getting my dobe tested, as although I have been told that his parents were dna tested clear, I have seen no certificates, so for my own peace of mind I'll get him tested so I can let my vet's know his Vwd status.

hope this helps.
  7. Kalasin

Kalasin New Member

Name:
    Kalasin
    Thank you for the information :) I am in the UK so am off to check off that link now.
  8. Moonstone

Moonstone New Member

Name:
    S
    Mine loves people and dogs, any dogs, and is good with our cat, though, I would never go out and leave them together, they are always seperated, but outside the house, he cannot be trusted.
    After living with him for 3 years,we would consider a Mal or a Sibe, in fact we'd love a Mal.
    I know it sounds like I am whinging, I just want people who are reading this thread, and are considering getting a Ute or N.I, to think would they cope if the pup grew up with a strong trait from one of the original dogs, or even two of them? if they couldn't live with a working breed ,then they should reconsider getting one. It means a pup goes to a home where he won't be rehomed in 12 months, as he is too full on .I can't stop them breeding, but by asking questions, I might be able to stop and make someone think about getting a dog they couldn't cope with.
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim New Member

Name:
    Liesl
    I am not a fan of GSD's so I would be horrified to learn that the 'breed' I had bought was in fact a GSD x

If these pups are british utonagans and are in fact just GSDx then will the Malx and the Sibex still be called british utonagans too?? How can 3 different crossbreeds be the same breed?

Another thought, what are the names of all these so called gentic and health experts? If we knew who they were then we could see if they are well known and respected within their fields! So why the secret identities?
  10. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Just a side note on this as i received this from the top company listed when trying to test my NIs:

Although von Willebrand disease has been reported in many breeds of dogs, the actual genetic mutation causing it is only known for the breeds listed on our site (the NI wasnt on here or the GSD). For those breeds not listed the only way to test for the disease is by measuring the amount of vWF in a blood sample. For this you'd have to see your veterinarian.

So DNA swabs are out for this kind of testing and it has to be blood.
  11. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Thankyou Raz, I was beginning to think I made up the part where I was told they couldn't do N.I's cause they weren't on their breed specific list...:)
  12. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    The list was very narrow for them and a few others that do the cheek swabs. Getting bloods done isnt easy either as the NI is not one of the breeds flagged up as having an problem with this.
  13. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    but u can inkli :? :? ...im staring at the form now :?
  14. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Yip I know I tried way back when people were first talking about sending the samples and I got an e mail back from them, so I went to my vet who said they would need to inject the vwd into Inka to see if he had a reaction to it, well hes a healthy boy and I'm not willing to experiment with him xx:)
  15. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    have you checked the breeds list ?
  16. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    the von willebrands factor is any dog

the von willebrands pcr is breed specific
  17. bint

bint New Member

Name:
    Susan
    The least they should do is advertise the pups as crosses and name the cross involved clearly!
  18. Moonstone

Moonstone New Member

Name:
    S
    Totally agree, people need to know exactly what they are bringing home.
  19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim New Member

Name:
    Liesl
    Absolutely and this is why no one believes they are in it for the good of the dogs!

Not only are they selling the progeny of these 'experimental' dogs, when they should be keeping them to see how they develop, but they are lying and calling them a breed that they aren't :roll: :roll:

And no one from BUA will come on here to answer our questions...............

Good grief:roll: Is it any wonder we have no faith in these people?
  20. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Just wondering if anyone is good with words????

I was thinking..that although a LOT of people will come across this thread..how about an advert for the freeads etc that tells people the truth??
  21. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    The NI isnt on there because it isnt a recognised breed anywhere in the world. GSd's dont have VwD they get Heamophilia, its different and is sex linked when passing.

I urge you to get that blood test and ask your breeder for all the relevant results.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.