Sizes General Chat

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by Snorri the Priest, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Snorri the Priest

Snorri the Priest New Member

Name:
    Thorgrim Thorgrimsson

Sizes

After reading the thread about what we love about the pastoral group, and saying that I'd lost all the size data I'd collected, I measured my two from floor to shoulder -

Snorri - 53 cm
    Kali - 49 cm.

Both are fully adult and, I think, smaller than their mainland counterparts. Up here, this seems to apply to other animals too - I think we hold the UK record for the smallest Shetland pony foal, with a birth height of 18 inches or so. It was certainly very small!

Snorri
    :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. wufflehoond

wufflehoond

Name:
    XXXXX
    So that makes yours about 19" and 20" to shoulder Snorri. Still makes Cassie seem small at 17" though:roll:
  4. Snorri the Priest

Name:
    Thorgrim Thorgrimsson
    <(whips out tape measure, to avoid having to convert from metric to imperial!)

17 inches is about the height of Kali's litter-sister (imaginatively named "Spotty").

My first ever BC ("Glen") was about 24 inches at the shoulder, a lot bigger than the current incumbents. It wouldn't have stopped them from trying to bully him, though! :lol:

As for speed, we clocked Kali crossing a known field, chasing a rabbit (which knew the field even better, and escaped!) - and timed him. He was travelling at about 45 mph, and only a warning growl from Kali stopped Snorri from overtaking him!

Only doggy seniority issues prevented us from having rabbit stew for dinner! However, if Snorri had caught it, he wouldn't know what to do with it, and he would have fainted with fright! He was only chasing the rabbit because he thought it was "running time"!

Kali runs because he likes chasing things. Snorri runs because he likes running (usually in circles, counterclockwise)

Snorri
    8)
  5. wufflehoond

wufflehoond

Name:
    XXXXX
    LOL Snorri, well I guess she's all BC then, I was having my doubts mostly because of her size:)
  6. Snorri the Priest

Name:
    Thorgrim Thorgrimsson
    I have a photo from Kali's first birthday party, it shows him with his sister Spotty and his brother Merlin, but I will have to scan it before I can post it. As this involves mucking about with two unlinked computers, it may take a day or two! It will show two things - a) the small size of Orkney BC bitches and b) how well they keep the dogs "under the thumb".

Kali still retreats from her, and Snorri, being a much younger brother, just gets beaten up - he gets tail exercise, by keeping it between his legs! I remember the first time they met - "Snorri, this is your sister Spotty........" (getting louder, as Snorri vanished across the farmyard, with Spotty in hot, snapping pursuit!)

Snorri
    :lol:
  7. wufflehoond

wufflehoond

Name:
    XXXXX
    LOL@Snorri, love to see the pic, if you can get it scanned. Yes, Cassie is rather 'confident' herself :grin:
  8. Emm

Emm New Member

I just went and measured my two :grin:

Barney is nearly 19" and Jack is nearly 22" Jack has always seemed really big - does any-one know what the "recommended" heights are?
  9. BrandieSnap

BrandieSnap New Member

Name:
    Suzie
    Thought I'd join in :)

After a lot of messing about :roll: Brandie is 24 inches tall at the shoulder.

And she weighs about 25kg.

She was 30kg :shock: but has been on a diet and is now her correct weight :grin: Hopefully she will stay that way :blush:
  10. Snorri the Priest

Name:
    Thorgrim Thorgrimsson
    From what I gather, that's about right for a mainland-born BC - my vet's chart recommends 23 kg as the healthiest weight, but he thinks that 20 kg is nearer the mark for an island BC. Both mine need a bit of weight off, on that basis (Kali is about 25 kg., and Snorri is about 23 - too hefty, in the vet's view :shock: So, fewer treats, I think...... poor, deprived doggies!).

A lot of animals breed smaller up here - must be either the cold or the wind (the closer they are to the ground, the better they stay on it :lol: )
  11. willowish

willowish New Member

Name:
    Gillian
    The breed standard is 21" for dogs bitches slightly less.
    Fizz is 18" and is about average for a bitch

Edited to add all mine weigh 20kg or less

[​IMG]
  12. tjhoe68

tjhoe68 New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    Can us GSD's join in with this thread please?
  13. wufflehoond

wufflehoond

Name:
    XXXXX
    So Cassie's not far off standard at 17" then?:shock:
  14. Cumbrian Lass

Cumbrian Lass New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Sorry to butt in here....

Why not start your own thread for GSDs? ;-) :grin:
  15. tjhoe68

tjhoe68 New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    Doh, why didn't I think of that :blush: I can be so dumb sometimes :blush:

Thanks Cumbrian Lass

Would you mind Snorri? I don't want to nick your idea
  16. Gems

Gems New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    TJ is 7 months old and 52cm, he still has growing to do!!!
    My BF's BC's all range in height from about 45cm-60cm :)
  17. Snorri the Priest

Name:
    Thorgrim Thorgrimsson
    Hmmm, can't find my tape measure (I reckon Mrs S has "tidied" it away - i.e. chucked it off the table), so can't really tell - 60cm sounds like a helluva tall BC (dunno what it is in inches, though - I'm not into being European) :shock: I'll bet you get a fair whacking from him when he's covered in wet sand :shock: :shock: )

Snorri
    (sufficiently bruised by 49 cm - when Kali jumps up, you can imagine where his paws end up............)
    :cry:
  18. Gems

Gems New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    Hey, he is a huge BC he wasnt bred for the ring, he is from working lines :)
    Not sure what 60cm is in inches either but he is a stunning stunning dog with such a great temperment! ;)
  19. royv

royv New Member

Name:
    Roy
    My Barney is 52/53cm (20½-21").

My vet says he needs to be kept at between 19-20kg
  20. royv

royv New Member

Name:
    Roy
    60cm is just over 23½"