Identifying a Terrier ID this breed/mix

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jukesgirl, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Jukesgirl

Jukesgirl New Member

Name:
    Sam

Identifying a Terrier

Hi,

i have spent the last couple of days looking through your forum and i have really enjoyed looking through all your posts and some of your dog pics are so cute, it makes me want more dogs ... but i have to have will power! I must resist!

I adopted a terrier about a month ago, i have always been into bigger dogs, i preferred the look of huskies and malamutes etc. However upon seeing this particular terrier in the animal shelter all that changed. I adopted him straight away ... well after some internet research into terriers in general ... i research everything, my partner hates me for it but i think information is key especially when dealing with a breed of dog i have not owned before!

My adoption certificate says he is a Jack Russell cross, but to me he looks nothing like one, i would upload a picture but for some reason i am not allowed - i assume it is because i am a new poster.

My understanding is that Jack Russell were mainly white with some other colours (brown/black etc) ... am i wrong?

My dog is all red/brown apart from a small white fleck on his chest so to me he looks nothing like a Jack Russell, it doesn't bother me too much as i love him so much, he is like my shadow and i never want to be with out him but when people ask it would be nice to be able to tell them what breed he is.

This question might be easily answered when i can post a picture but thanks in advance anyway for any help

Sam
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    Hi there:)

you should be able to post photos straight away, so its nothing about being knew, but maybe about how you have to do it...here's a link to a thread about posting pics..

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=10395

As you say, it will be much easier if we can see a photo:)

in the meantime, welcome to Dogsey and well done on taking in a rescue dog:)
  4. Jukesgirl

Jukesgirl New Member

Name:
    Sam
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Thank you for the help on getting the photo up - it makes this much easier!

Regards!
  5. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    What a handsome lad:)

I'm no terrier expert, but his head reminds me of a smooth fox terier and the colouring of a border terrier.
  6. Luke

Luke New Member

Working lakie, or working lakie cross
  7. Jukesgirl

Jukesgirl New Member

Name:
    Sam
    well if there is one thing we can agree on it is that he is a handsome lad! :)
  8. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    I would also go with working Lakeland. Lovely boy
  9. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    I would also say Lakeland, he is gorgeous..
  10. Kanikula

Kanikula New Member

Name:
    Sam
    My JRT D'For is all tan - she has a small whit bit on her chest and on her paws. Her older half sister Poppy is the same but more liver in colour....

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
  11. lakeland_lass

lakeland_lass New Member

Name:
    Alanna
    Looks like a working Lakie to me but i'm not expert.

Here's my Barney, he is more black & red but similar - what do you think? Your boy looks very similer to a mini GSD on here :grin:

[​IMG]
  12. lilypup

lilypup New Member

Name:
    Claire
    He's gorgeous and I would have him down as working Lakeland too.:001:

My girl is from Jack Russell parents but she is convinced she is all German Shepherd! :002: :lol:

[​IMG]
  13. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    He's a working lakeland, nice one too. No Jack Russell there, just a decent honest working lakie.
  14. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
  15. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    im not an expert either, but he looks like a lakeland to me too. he is gorgeous whatever he is though :grin:
  16. chamfered

chamfered New Member

Name:
    Steve
    i Reckon hes a working lakeland/Fell terrier,good looking boy tho.
  17. Tessabelle

Tessabelle New Member

Name:
    Tess
    He's lovely! and not a Jack! I agree; Lakeland Terrier :mini:
  18. Jukesgirl

Jukesgirl New Member

Name:
    Sam
    Finally my internet is back up and i can reply to your comments!

Thank you for all the comments on how handsome he is - i think he knows it too!

I have looked up working lakelands as a lot of you suggested it and i can definately see the similarity. I did have a hard time believing that he had JR in him but eith erway he is gorgeous as are the pictures of other dogs that were uploaded to this thread.

I may have once like dbigger dogs but i don't think i woul dever go back, there is so much character to these little terriers!

thanks again ... off to continue training ... my mum says i should work on training him to make cups of tea but i think i will start with simpler commands first :p

Sam
  19. jack the patt

jack the patt New Member

Name:
    mark
    definatley a working lakie / red fell terrier