Calling Cavashon owners General Chat

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by Gee, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Gee

Gee New Member

Name:
    Gee
    Not untill March. She has sent photos to me and said she would send more every two weeks so I can see their progress. They are a caramel and cream colour. They have one other sibling that is tri-colour and she is going to a family who has already got one thats 18mths old.:smile:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    I'm not being snobby I am an animal lover whatever the breed or mix- just be warned most breeders who are breeding crossbreeds are doing so purely for money (profit as the aim does not = a good dog breeder).
    Cavaliers are prone to all sorts of health issues and Cavalier crosses can suffer exactly teh same so ask to SEE proof of health testing - the MRI certificate, the heart test results, the eye test paperwork etc - buyer beware etc ...

This little fur friend will hopefully be part of your family for the next 14 plus years - you want it to be as healthy as possible!

The breeder is not selling you two littermates is she?
  4. Gee

Gee New Member

Name:
    Gee
    We originally was only going to have the boy, but I then wanted one of the girls as well, she didn't force my arm. Why do you ask?:?
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Would you mind sharing their registered names, as we can then see how responsible your breeder was in getting the relevant health tests, as they are all available on the KC website using a name check. It will be beneficial to yourself too, if you didnt see the relevant certificates at the time.
  6. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    i have nothing against crossbreeds, i have one ;-) and i love them, i think i will always have crosses. it just bugs me when people go out and pay ridiculous amounts of money for a crossbreed, when so many lovely crossbreeds are sitting on death row at rescues.

you are right, not all crossbreeds are mistakes... but what is the purpose of the 'cavachon' cross??
  7. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    this point is important. Believe me, I know!!!! I lost a dog at two years old just last year because I was blase about health etc. If I'd have been ruled by my head instead of the cute bundle of fluff I would have got a pup from tested parents and not had to go through watching my precious boy die - not to mention explaining to my two kids that their dog is in heaven. We are not picking at you, just trying to help you learn from other's mistakes. If the parents are tested - fair enough. If not, please walk away.

By the way I groom a Cav x Bichon. He looks like a curly coated Cav. He's a lovely pup but totally hyper and sheds loads, so please realise that you may not be getting a sedate little thing.
  8. macdavis

macdavis New Member

Name:
    barbara
    Hi Gee, I saw your original quote, I too have a cavashon, I have had her for two years now, she was born christmas 2008. I couldnt decide between a cavalier and a bichon and when I saw her advertised I fell in love, mum was a bichon and dad a blenheim cavalier, she has apricot ears and is just georgeous. She is so loving and great with kids, she is the best of both the breeds, and I would not hesitate again to buy another one.
  9. angied

angied New Member

Name:
    angie
    i have a cross breed weim cross springer (no fancy name just a cross breed) both parents were kc and had no problems also have a pedegree spinger (well 2) and was health checked etc all his brothers died at 1 from cancer so you can have all the health checks done and still something happen to them( hes nearly 10 now and never had a problem with him)
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

Why not ask her for the proof of her health checks, if she is a responsible breeder she will show you the certificates that is required for both breeds she has used to produce these crossbreeds.

you are mistaken though that people are snobby towards anything other than pure bred dogs... that far from the case.
    What people have issues with is breeders who cross breeds without any thought to the genetic diversity or health in both breeds.

Just because they are both small or similar size, does not mean they are genetically suited to mate together.

Along with the serious health issues both breeds have, you are (unless your breeder has proof, both are free from them) risking doubling up on ALL those health issues with your dog

Whether a dog is pure bred or xbred , you will be paying out the same fees at the vet , insurance , food.. so why not go for a dog/breed that has been carefully bred by a responsible breeder who has taken into account all relevant health issues.

Breeding her two breeds together because people have asked her too, is not a good reason to breed.

Your Hubby is right, not all people buy or take in a dog for atheistical reasons.. we all have dogs for different reasons.

But the most important lesson your hubby should learn is, no matter the breed or looks, health is extremely important...something he is totally missing the point of.. lets hope he does not not come to realise this in the future.

Will be interesting to see if you ask for the paper work of both breeds health testings, if you get them
  11. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    We had two Crossbreeds - Boxer x Labs - both had inherited health issues which can be prevelant in both breeds. Its no guarantee that a crossbreed will be healthier. At the time we got them we took them on as 2 1/2 week old pups to rear and rehome, of course that never happened!

I also find it a bit "suss" that as a responsible breeder she is selling you two pups from the same litter together. Most responsible breeders would not do that.

Some smaller breeds can come into season earlier than larger breeds so you will have to be very much "on the ball" about getting one of them neutered/spayed before your little bitch puppy comes in season.

Will look forward to your photos
  12. jorgeelizondom

jorgeelizondom New Member

Name:
    Jorge
    Hi all,
    I'm very new to owning a Dog... we are a family of five (three daughters ayes 8, 5 and 1) and our 5yo has always wanted a dog (this is not a fad with her, she reeeally loves dogs). We began researching and learning about the requirements and commitments required and after extensive discussions among my wife and myself we decided to go commit and began the research for an appropriate breed that would fit our family and lifestyle.

After reading a lot, we decided that a Bichon Frise would be a good breed for our family. We contacted a breeder that also sells Cavalier KC and Cavachons (the breed in question here). The Bichon Frise and the Cavachons, BTW, are offered at the same price, wheras the CKC are much more expensive.

After an extensive talk which seemed more like she was interview me about our family characteristics and lyfestyle, she reccommended the Cavachon better.

After looking at pics on the internet, everybody in our family liked the Cavachon better (compared to the CKC and the BF) and decided on this breed.

She mentioned that this crossbreed does not have the heart problems of the Cavaliers nor the Cataracts problem associated with the BF. (how can she know this?)

She said that she will not deliver the puppy before it is two months old and she warned me that she has the right to NOT sell the puppy to me if after face to face contact she determines that we are not a good match for the dog and would refund the full advance payment.

After all this long introduction, my question is this:
    What kind of medical tests should I request? This tests should be from the parents? of from the puppy? or both?
    Any other thing I should request from the breeder and or be aware of regarding this cross breed?

Her web page says she was just inspected by the AKC this past march and received another "In Compliance" on all items. The inspection included everything from cleanliness, room for animals, and DNA testing of puppies. She offers to show the certificate upon request.

Any help /comments will be greatly appreciated before I commit to this particular dog?
  13. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Hi and welcome to dogsey.

I would be requesting to see that certificate, does it mention on her site what she has dna tested for, or is it just dna profiling, which is different to testing for specific genetic disorders.

As I'm not to familiar with the ins and outs of these breeds, I'm not sure what specific things should be tested for, I am now going to go and have a look and see what I come up with.

However, many people on here will have that answer, and I'm sure some one will be along shortly.

Without her testing for those specific issues, she will have no way of knowing if the pups will develop them. You can infact risk doubling up on health defects from both breeds, just because it is a crossbreed, doesn't automaticly mean it will be healthier than a purebreed.

I would say that it is pretty hard to recomend the cavachon as more suitable as aposed to the bichon, for the simple fact that, you could end up with any variety of trates from either breed.

For example.

A pup that looks like a ckc with the temperament of a bichon, and vise versa, or anything in between.

It really will be pot luck what you end up with

My advice is research everything about both breeds, the good, bad, beautifull and ugly, all the potential health problems everything.

Then ask yourself, could you live with the worst of both combined.

Then ask yourself, if you are happy with this breeder, if there is any doubt even after further discution, then walk away.

iF AFTER ALL THAT, YOU DECIDE THAT YOU STILL WANT THAT CROSS, AND ARE HAPPY WITH THAT BREEDER, THEN GOOD LUCK.
  14. beau

beau New Member

Name:
    nutmeg
    Unless I have read your post wrong, will you be seeing both of the parents or is the breeder delivering one to you without you seeing mum and dad?

Please make sure that you meet mum and dad, good luck x
  15. beau

beau New Member

Name:
    nutmeg
    To the original poster, your pups sound lovely, good luck with them. x
  16. jorgeelizondom

jorgeelizondom New Member

Name:
    Jorge
    The breeder does seem very serious about their puppies health, well being and concerned about who will end up with her puppies.

She sells Bichons, Cavaliers and Cavachons... purebred puppies are more expensive than the cavachon puppies.

She has been raising cavs for 12 years and cavachons for two.

She says that all their males (the Cavaliers) are DNA "Tested".

I talked to her vet and gave very good references about her.

After all this due dilligence work I'm quite comfortable with the breeder.

Any pointers for the first days when the puppy gets home will be welcome.
  17. AliceandDogs

AliceandDogs New Member

Name:
    Alice
    'Cavachons' aren't a breed, you'd need to look up/find out the breed tests required for Cavaliars, and for Bichons too, as the puppy could inherit either/both.
  18. Gina&Jaz

Gina&Jaz New Member

Name:
    Gina
    Cavaliers need to be heart and eye tested and MRI scanned. I would not just accept that they are "DNA tested" and I'd want to see proof.
  19. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    In my book no reputable breeder would start crossing their breeds simply because people had asked them for puppies of this particular cross.
    There is only one reason cross bred puppies are bred these days and that is for money as there is no attempt whatsoever to create a new breed so what is the point? Both cav's and bichons make great companion dogs so I do not see why there is a need to cross the two.
    As a poodle breeder I get asked all the time for my boys to be used on all and sundry!
    Becky
  20. montysmum

montysmum New Member

Name:
    DIANA
    Gee, dont worry, it is inevitable on here that as soon as you mention getting a deliberately bred crossbreed you will end up getting some negative comments.

I hope you love your pup as much as I love my deliberately bred cross/mongrel/mutt otherwise known as a cockerpoo that I picked up on Friday and love to bits.

As far as I am concerned, he is a wonderful dog, even though he is only a baby yet, but already I know that I would not hesitate to get another one in the future.

I dont know if it is just me, but I find this post to be very patronising. Do you ask someone who has just got a boxer, dalmation or whatever for their KC details so that YOU can all check they are ok??

Recommend the OP does that by all means, give advice about sensible things to check for, as you would do with any pup, but does the whole forum have to scrutinise this just because it is a bred cross?

Some people mention that people who breed these crosses are doing it for the cash. Of course they are, as are the pedigree breeders - they are not doing it for altruistic reasons are they, or have all of you with pedigrees got your puppies for free?

Gee, enjoy your pups. There are some valuable comments in this thread that are well wortth reiterating.

The reasons some are concerned about getting a dog and a bitch from the same litter, sensibly, is that your two pups could mate before you have had a chance to have them neutered There is then a danger and a serious risk that any pups produced could well have genetic defects etc.

Do get in touch with your breeder and get proof of health checks, go and see the pups with their Mum and Dad, see how they all react together, where they have been reared, research the characteristics of the two breeds and don't just go by how they look.

No one should just go and pick a pup without thinking about how they are going to rear it - think about what having two pups is going to mean workwise, having to housetrain them, exercise them, train them to be obedient etc It can be hard work with one, with two it will inevitably be more to deal with.

Most of all though, regardless of what dog you decide to get, what it is called, how much you pay for it etc, enjoy it.

jorgeelizondom, you ask what you should do on the day you bring your pup home. I dont have bags of experience, but I picked up my pup on Friday and so far it is all going really well, so this is what I did.

Prior to getting Bobby, I had bought a dog crate, vetbed, toys, etc. I also bought some Fish4Dogs dog food as I had decided that I wanted to slowly change his diet onto. I got a puppy collar and lead from the breeder so didnt have to buy that, but it might be something you want to get, as well as some training treats.

I also had some puppy pads, which have been a Godsend for me although not everyone uses them.

When I picked him up, the breeder gave me a blanket that Bobby had been lying on with his Mum and brothers and sisters. I also got proof of microchipping, health checks, insurance, parents KC registration etc, and a bag of the food that the pups had been weaned onto. If you are not sure what food your pup has been on, you will need to ask your breeder and get some.

I took Bobby home in the crate, lying on his blanket and it really helped him settle.

Once home, I got a routine going. It now goes something like this -

He sleeps on my bed so I bring him downstairs, say 'pee pee' and he does on the puppy pads.

Give him his breakfast.

Wait 30 mins (approx) and then say 'Be Quick' and he poos on the puppy pad.

Play like a looney :)

Training for about 10 mins - sit, down, come at the moment all rewarded with loads of praise and treats.

Then he sleeps in his crate which he goes into on his own accord. Sometimes he just likes to sleep at my feet.

About every hour I get him to have a wee.

He has now got the hang of using the puppy pads all the time, without having to be told

Initially I had to keep putting him on the pads, and there were inevitably accidents, but now he just automatically goes onto the pads, which I think is great seeing as I have only had him 3 days :) so I am slowly starting to show him where I want him to wee and poo in the garden.

Really the day just carries on like that. I havent tried to leave him on his own in the house yet, or have him in the crate with the door shut, other than in the car.

I take him out in the car every day for the school pick up to get him used to both the car and being around people - the kids all make a huge fuss of him of course!

Thing I have learned mainly is that routine and observation are the most important things and have helped him progress quickly I think.

Hope that helps a bit :)
  21. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

I am sorry, but when someone tells you this

Then she is talking a load of nonsense... Unless your breeder can show you proof of health certificates for both parents , to show her breeding stock are free from all ailments of both breeds.... she cant possible know..and to be honest, that "are healthier than their pedigree cousins, is thee most common spiel that these sort of breeders spout.

What she fails to tell you is that... unless her breeding stock are free from any hereditary diseases... the offsprings can be effected by both breeds genetic health problems..in other words, you could have a puppy that has both breeds problems.

So she may have vetted you well, but unless she has shown you her dogs heart scores (done be a cardiologist) eye certificates and anything else they should be tested for..she cant possible know she is producing healthy pup.

Ask for them if you dont get them , find another breeder.

So would I, dont forget the Poodle, what tests do they need?? you need to see evidence there too.

It amazes me , when someone says that by crossing two breeds you are diluting their genetic problems..:roll: the bottom line is... breed two healthy dogs (and ancestry) and you get healthy pups, breed two unhealthy dogs, and you get unhealthy pups.