What should I expect? - Gundog Trainer Questions

Discussion in 'Gundog Forum' started by JanieM, Dec 11, 2009.

1. JanieM

JanieM New Member

Name:
    Jane

What should I expect? - Gundog Trainer

Hi, wondered if anyone could offer some opinions.

We're booked in to have an assessment tomorrow with someone who I understand to be a very experienced gundog trainer. We're going to see whether this type of training may be able to help with Maggie's predatory chase drive which is beyond our abilities to control on our own and currently means she's having onlead walks only which is just not fun or satisfying for either of us.

Clearly until I go and have a chat with him and he sees Maggie and what we're like I'm not going to know what method of training he uses and gundog training is totally new to me.

What should I expect and what is considered acceptable in the gundog world? What should I be concerned about him doing and look out for (if anything)?

I am firmly in the reward based group of people and I don't like aversive or harsh methods (goes without saying really).
    However when faced with someone with yonks of experience it can be difficult to sometimes explain why you're not happy with a certain way of doing things especially if said experienced trainer has total success with them.

I may be getting my knickers in a knot and he will be lovely, I won't know until tomorrow. But just wonder what gundog training (in general) involves and what types of equipment is used???

Ok, got that off my chest.
    Many thanks!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 New Member

Name:
    Liz
    a lot of gundog trainers won't train with treats etc although the one i went to did, what you will find with a good one, is that the reward will be lots of fuss, what you may find is that he will be firmer than what you are used to, ie if she breaks a stay you maybe asked to put her back in exactly the same position, this usually involves picking them up and putting them back, easy with a small spaniel, not so sure how easy it would be with a bigger collie x, most of all remember that if you're not happy at anytime you can walk away. A lot of the newer trainers are more in to positive methods, thankfully the days of kick seven bells out of em and then if they come back for more train em seem to be dying out.

Have a good time and let us know how you go on.

Ps can i ask who the trainer is, pm me if you would prefer
  4. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I would agree with the above. It is generally firmer than your average clicker-in-the-village-hall classes, but it shouldn't be harsh. Although you have to remember that it is a completely different discipline to most 'fun' dog sports.

With gundog training the retrieve or praise is the reward.

Equipment, I would say a whistle, rope lead and dummies, but those probably won't apply to you as I assume you don't want to her train her as an actual gundog. Best ask the trainer before you go, but the odds are that they will have all the equipment you'll need for your first session.

Good luck...hope you both gain something from it. If the trainer has access to rabbit/pheasant pens that might really help.
  5. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    i know a few do use e collars :( Is this your Collie X you are taking?
  6. JanieM

JanieM New Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hi, thanks for the replies.

Just got back now, you're both certainly right about it being much firmer training. He used a slip lead and corrected her using that which seemed a little harsh to me but I don't think he actually hurt her it's just not what I've ever done or been very happy to do and she didn't seem all that happy initially either.
    Saying that, she didn't run off at all and he got her walking nicely to heel pretty much straight away.
    He's definitely a no nonsense person and thinks I'm a namby pamby type owner with all my treats.

It was all a bit of a change from what I'm used to but looking to the bigger picture (being able to enjoy offlead walks and have control over her chasing) I think it will be worth doing the initial six week 1-1 course with him and then see where we go from there.

He did say I'd have to change a lot and become firmer and be prepared to give correction with my voice (so not good at that) and give her more rules etc. Feeling a bit iffy about that but I guess it's up to me how much I change!
    I don't want a trained gundog just a happy family companion whom I can enjoy life with so I'm a little apprehensive about having to change much of behaviour towards her.

mishflynn, yes it's my collie x Maggie.

Lizzy23, will PM you his name, would be reassuring to know that he is a known expert ( in a good way).
  7. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish

Its a shame you arent nearer , you could come to me! Hope it goes well, though if it gets uncomftable at all for you then stop. remeber shes NOT a gun dog but a collie so not all his tryed & tested methods may suit her mentality
  8. JanieM

JanieM New Member

Name:
    Jane
    That's nice of you, shame Cardiff ain't a bit closer!

I know we could carry on as we are but I don't feel Maggie is getting the most out of life as things stand now so I know I have to do something. Gundog training sort of came up by accident, so we'll see how it goes.

ETA: we think she's probably got spaniel in her so hoping this might be to our advantage a bit although in many ways she is very collie like ( not that I have much experience e of them tbh)
  9. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish

I totally agree, gotta be worth a try!
  10. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    The only ways i'm aware of that gundogs are trained not to chase is to automatically sit if they flush something (by reinforcing the stop whistle or by the dog being on lead when it flushes and a sit reinforced) or by being very good on the stop whistle.

I've got a HPR breed which give you plenty of warning that they have found game and therefore something to potentially chase so there is ample opportunity to reinforce steadiness. It is so much easier if they are trained in a controlled environment such as a rabbit or pheasant pen than in the open fields.

However, my dogs do chase so i'm not the best person to advise!

Gundog training is more no nonsense than other types because a working dog has to be impeccably trained if it's to trial or work on driven shoots. A dog that runs in or chases is potentially putting itself in front of the guns. My gundog trainer is excellent, he doesnt stand any messing about but he's patient and fair and obviously loves the dogs. He allows you to train with treats or a clicker if you wish but it's generally not the norm, as mentioned before, praise and doing what the dog is bred to do is reward in itself.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2009
  11. JanieM

JanieM New Member

Name:
    Jane
    Thanks Leanne, the trainer we saw today used praise as the reward (no treats in sight) and although he was certainly tough he did give praise with his voice and this is the balance he said I needed to get.

It's all totally new to me but if he thinks he can train me to train Maggie so that she's not a liability off lead then I think it's worth a go.

Thanks for your input, it's very interesting reading people's experiences.