A Question for those that have ex racing greyhounds General Chat

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by madmare, Dec 4, 2009.

1. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev

A Question for those that have ex racing greyhounds

I was thinking a male would be best with Shady being a female. Her and Milo got on fantastically and I am not sure about how she would get on with another female.
    However it will more than likely need housetraining, having probably lived all its life in a kennel.
    The thing putting me off having a male is the thought of him cocking his leg up all my furniture and this time of year haveing a tree in the house for christmas, may just be too much temptation. Wheras a girly would at least just squat and do me a pond in one place if I happen to miss the signs.
    Can anyone tell me how they have found housetraining either sex? Did a male want to scent mark everywhere?
    I don't mind accidents at first till I get them housetrained, if I am out or not watching closely enough, but don't really want scent marking or peeing up the furniture etc everywhere and the house stinking to high heaven.
    Would love your views or experiences as i have only ever housetrained puppies.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I think you may find a male will scent mark, more so if hes got a girly to impress,

what I would say is...........get whats right for shady, the weeing thing will sort itself out, where as the wrong sex of dog may never sort itself out.. if you see what I mean,

girls can wee on sofas, beds if the notion takes them, your less likely to get that from a male,

best of luck hun, hope your find the right one xxx

im sure spot or one of the others will be along soon to give better advice xx
  4. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    i always remember when me and my old dog, sam, went to stay with my aunt... and her BC, lad, ran around peeing everywhere :roll: :roll:

you may be lucky and be matched with a housetrained one, i noticed on the link you posted on the other thread, some of the dogs were said to be housetrained...

if not, im sure he will stop before lol.
  5. madisondobie

madisondobie New Member

Name:
    madisondobie
    A client of mine lost one of their greyhounds to cancer earlier this year, they went to a greyhound rescue to get a friend for their girl nik they came home with zach he had retired from racing just 6 months before and he promptly marked around the house but within a week he had stopped, most of the rescue greyhounds ive known have been clean in the house from the start especially if they have a resident dog to follow.
  6. monkeydonkey

monkeydonkey New Member

Name:
    Lucy
    We had our female first and then got our big dopey boy Wizard! he tried to cock his leg up the sofa just once when he first arrived in the house i managed to catch him in the process told him "no" and he never ever tried it again. bless him.
    In my experience male greyhounds are more soppy and soft and females can be a bit more independent and aloof. But either way mine have always been great and always clean in the house and an absolute pleasure to live with.
  7. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    Funnily enough I got Blue at xmas last year!!! So I understand how you feel, I had two bitches at home.

He did cock his leg a bit when we got him (as expected...but def scent marking not cos he needed to go for wee!). He was very easy to housetrain though cos i think greyhounds are naturally clean animals and if you have the bed pretty close to a door they seem to find it easier i think cos it reminds them of their kennels or runs, where they sleep one end then go somewhere else to toilet!! I think he only pooed on carpet once...and that was after a good week or two of being fine.

Once I had Blue castrated he stopped cocking his leg completly!

It took him about two days to relax and about two weeks to realise he was allowed on the sofa....and now he doesnt get off it:lol: :lol:

Good luck cant wait to hear how it goes!

p.s go with the one your heart tells you to!! I looked at several who i liked but wasnt sure if i was doing the right thing. then i saw B and I just knew!!!!:grin:
  8. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    I've got a male lurcher, a female lurcher and a female greyhound and they've all been very clean in the house. I haven't had any problems with the male marking his territory. He didn't live in a house before we got him. Greyhounds tend to be very clean so I don't think there's much to worry about. There are exceptions of course!!
  9. lilypup

lilypup New Member

Name:
    Claire
    not an ex racer but my lurcher had been in kennels for 4 months when i adopted him. the only time he messed in the house was after he had been castrated and was still very woozy from the anesthetic.
  10. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    Thankyou everyone.
    We are picking our boy up tomorrow lunchtime and can't wait. :grin:
  11. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    ooooo so exciting! cant wait for lots of piccies :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  12. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    Ooooh good luck Madmare!! He'll be an amazing addition to the family! Beautiful dogs! Once a greyhound owner always a greyhound owner!!:mrgreen:
  13. Starhope

Starhope New Member

Name:
    Jules
    My ex racer never needed house training, she was just naturally clean. Had to actually force her to go out for a pee in the garden as she was too cozy and comfy in the house lol
  14. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    Starhope....I know the feeling!! My 2 lurchers and greyhound get pushed out in the winter because they won't go out voluntarily!!
  15. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    Pleased to say we have not had one accident in the house, he has housetrained himself and asks to go out.
    He really is a star and I must say I think he has converted me. I can't see me ever owning any other breed now :grin: