Dobermanns - breed information wanted Questions

Discussion in 'Dobermann' started by Moobli, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    [​IMG]

Triple Trouble ;-)

[​IMG]

but luckily they do have an off switch:lol:

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. dobegirl

dobegirl New Member

Name:
    lynz
    we have 3 dobes

Keela age 9 and a half

cass 8 and a half

cayden 14 weeks.

i will post pics og them ina bit
  4. Dobermonkey

Dobermonkey New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Lucky you! hanker after another 1 or 2 :) but i think me and my boy are so close it would spoil things to a certain extent (wouldnt fit 2 in my car for a start so less jollys for my little stinkyminky)? plus his granny couldnt cope with 2 every afternoon while im at work :) theres some little pics of me n ma boy here near the bottom of page under canix

http://www.aritaur.co.uk/Sport.htm
  5. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Lovely pictures everyone and a really useful thread. My husband is in love with this breed and i am guessing when we have more time and room we will be in the market to get one.

What are the key health tests that need to be done now?
  6. Dobermonkey

Dobermonkey New Member

Name:
    Claire
    VWD (clotting factor issue) - Some breeders I have seen are now only producing clear by parentage but can produce carriers through certain pairings (the litter my boy is from would be 50/50 clear/carrier - have never had him tested as at most he would be a carrier and he wont be passing on any of his genes :) )

PHPV - can cause loss of vision, parents should be tested

Thyroid - (Hypo/hyper) - parents should be tested clear (T4 test?) and also in an ideal world TgAA tested (genetic test - just because the stud/bitch doesnt not show clinical signs of Hypo/hyper they may carry it and potentially pass it to offspring)

DCM (heart disease - humans develop this also) - some breeders regularly have their breeding boys n girls tested for this and it is alledged that some lines are more predisposed to the condition than others and it is thought to be mainly hereditary. so it pays to do your home work. I was having a look around on a dobe forum the other day and there were strong words about particular european lines i think it was. There is not currently a clear genetic test for it as far as im aware but believed to be in development. Incredibly distressing illness and ultimately life shortening

Hips - breed average is about 13 i think?

As am sure you can imagine diff bloodlines produce different 'types' some more work/prey drive orientated than others so it pays to choose carefully depending on what you want!

Wouldnt be without my little comedian lapdobe :)
  7. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Thanks for the info, i have had a look around at some breeders already and its great to be armed with what to look for. I always like to know about a breed and met breeders way before we decide to get one.
  8. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    How did you get into CaniX and how long are the races? (do they vary? or mostly set distances?)
  9. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
  10. Dobermonkey

Dobermonkey New Member

Name:
    Claire
    sorry only just seen this! if you google canix it will bring up there website the races are generally 5km i personally think the cost per race is kinda expensive although i apprecaite it takes a lot of organisation!

there is also cani cross trailrunners.org they do 5km 10km and half marathons and multi day races in the french alps! if you check out their webbo they are really helpful and there may be a group in your area?

certain human races will allow dogs i did the thunder run at catton park a year or so ago tht was 10k round a x country course just outside tamworth great fun!
  11. roxi

roxi New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    I absolutely love Dobes, they are one of the very few breeds i would have out away from the Gundog group.

I love everything about them ;)
  12. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Thanks! I will have a look, just wondered, its not something you hear much about.
  13. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    bugzy we need pictures of erik :grin:
  14. jules880

jules880 New Member

Name:
    julia
    absolutely stunning pics.
  15. jules880

jules880 New Member

Name:
    julia
    Mea is my 4th dobie, but 1st from a puppy, all the others have been rescues, our previous (Tessa) was 10 when our eldest was born and was absolutely brilliant with her and would tollerate anything (ear/tail pulling etc). All have been faithful, loyal and completely daft! They are protective and can be a bit on the vocal side! Although none of mine have ever been agressive. I personally would never consider another breed now, i'm smitten!
  16. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    We have not seen erik for a long time ...
  17. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i know!! i want to see some now hes all grown up..
  18. bugzy

bugzy New Member

Name:
    kelz
    Erik is still around, still waiting to grow a braincell.....

He is 1 in just over a weeks time, and still has a lot of "growing up" to do yet....

Here he is getting excited because Daddy had walked in from work with a new bed for him to lay on. ( not sure what happened to Erik's eyes in this photo, it must be the result of flash bouncing off the T.V.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    oh yey there he is :grin: :grin: gorgeous dog :grin: