Springer spaniels and crate training Training

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by springers4me, Aug 12, 2009.

1. springers4me

springers4me New Member

Name:
    emily

Springer spaniels and crate training

Can you crate a springer puppy or a sprocker pup in a fairly large crate at 6 months old for 4- 5 hours whilst at work?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x
    I had my sprocker pup in a crate, for this amount of time when I was out on a shoot day, and I had someone come in a let her out and play with her if I was going to be any longer.

If you make sure the pup has plenty to do, and gets lots of exercise and play before and after then you should be okay.

Someone with more experience may be along soon to give you some better advice!!

x
  4. springers4me

springers4me New Member

Name:
    emily
    thanks , ye as i say some days i will be in all day , others my brother will ect ect, my college is only 2-3 days i think , it will be 6 month of age by the time i start college,

it will be let out in morning from 8 until 10 to play in the garden with the ball ect, then crated at half 10, then let out when someone comes in , someone will be in a t 3.30 if not earlier , thanks
  5. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x
    If you have all it all planned, and know that someone will be avaliable, then you shouldn't have to worry!

Is there someone you could have has backup, in case whoever is supposed to be at home to let it out is delayed!?

x
  6. springers4me

springers4me New Member

Name:
    emily
    well my brother is currently only at college 2 times a week so when hes in he will let it out ect ect,,

it will be left alone for 4-5 hours from the age of 6 months every 2-3 days.
  7. Donny dog

Donny dog New Member

Name:
    Diane
    We left Ruby in a crate in the mornings for about 4 or 5 hours when she was about 4 months old and she was fine. I would try and start crating him/her now so he/she's used to being in there. Just build the time up gradually. Ruby used to run into her crate when I picked my keys up and I think she felt safe in there.

She's just 1 now and we don't use it any more as she just sleeps when we leave her for work.

In fact, the first week of leaving her, we were delayed as my son had yet another accident and we had to pay what seems like our monthly visit to A&E, and she was in there for about 6 hours. She was absolutely fine while I was worried sick.

Good luck with it.