Really Need Your Help!!! Behaviour

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by Shih_Tzu_Lover, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Shih_Tzu_Lover

Shih_Tzu_Lover New Member

Name:
    Mizz-Hollie-Ess

Really Need Your Help!!!

Heyaah - Its Me Again :D
    I have got a problem!!!

We walk with a VERY UN-TRAINED male Springer Spaniel,we walk with their teenage daughter and she is constantly kicking and shouting at the poor thing and i have told her repeatedly to get him into training classes as they dont really have the time of day for him.
    Anyway, He has gotten into the habit of licking my Shih Tzu Romeo's private parts. Romeo is castrated and he really doesnt like (The Springer Spaniel) Brodie doing this! Romeo then growls at the dog which he never does unless he is really annoyed!!
    Have you heard of this before?
    What do i do?
    Is the dog gay? - Thats what we joke about but seriously is the dog gay???

Reply ASAP x
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    In respect of the springers owner I'd tell them to rehome the dog as clearly they have no time for him and are just abusing him and they should seriously consider whether they should have a dog at all.
    With regards to the licking then this is normal dog behaviour unless it becomes excessive and obsessive. Do you intervene when he does this or do you allow your dog to tell him off himself?
    Becky
  4. Shih_Tzu_Lover

Name:
    Mizz-Hollie-Ess
    Becky - I have told the family on numerous occassions to get rid of the dog, they do 'love' him just they dont like him. Its wrong the way they treat him outside, in the house he is treated fine just not outside, would you still advise classes??

At first i let Romeo tell Brodie off himself until he started biting on his little Willie and then i have to remove the dog myself and that isnt pleasant as he's exitable and wants to go back again - I mean i train dogs for like modelling and obedience for catalogues etc but i am trully stumped.
    We've tried the rattle bottle, the clicker training and also the water method.

I'm stuck && fed up of him annoying my dog when my dog should be enjoying himself - X
  5. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    I have joked before that Pharaoh is gay.. he gets excited and amorous at inappropriate moments and usually only to male black labradors:)

Three things with the licking of your dog.. First, make sure there is nothing wrong with your dog.. The only time my Jackjack ever became this obsessed with licking at Pharaoh I turned Pharaoh over and had a good look and discovered an infected thorn embedded in his inner thigh. I would never have found it, but Jackjack knew. Dogs have better senses about these things than we do!... Check your boy doesn't have a skin rash, or any unusual lumps or bumps in the area...

Second, let your dog tell him off, it's probably the Springer's hormones misfiring:) Dogs will usually sort these things out themselves, some dogs need telling a couple of times what's allowed, so don't be surprised if it takes a hard nip to the nose before the springer gets the message, especially if he's not getting consistent discipline at home..

Third.. if they can't look after the springer, you tell them I have a perfect home ready and waiting for him. My aunt is desperately seeking a springer to rescue at the moment and would give him a fabulous life:)
  6. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Can you change times of walking I know I would have too as it would seriously annoy me so what it would do to another dog I cannot imagine.

They are lucky your dog is a small breed if it was a large breed like Ollie and he got annoyed I hate to think what damage could be done.

I think like Becky they need to rehome him poor dog I am afraid I would be saying to them in no uncertain terms how annoyed I was becoming.
  7. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Just read your reply (I was typing:))

The dog has no consistency and that's his problem.. He needs to be taught the 'leave it' command by his owners, at home and repeated until he understands that whatever he is doing he has to stop if he is told 'leave it'. They need to be consistent with him and stop punishing him randomly. Training classes for THEM, might help in that they may start engaging with training the dog rather than just loving him.

You are never going to be able to fix the problem or embed training that only happens on the field and is never taken home. He has no reason to respect you. He normally gets away with whatever he wants and has learned just to try to avoid the occasional kick and ignore the shouting. He knows that humans just do this all the time, it's what his pack is.. random and noisy and brutish... You are unusual only because you spary things and rattle things as well... That just makes you a different sort of unpredictable... But still... he'd rather be smelling dogs, so best avoid the crazy lady and get on with it.
  8. Shih_Tzu_Lover

Name:
    Mizz-Hollie-Ess
    Thanks Magpye - Thats really helpful,
    After we came back from the walk last night romeo was bleeding where Brodie has bitten him!
    Could believe it!!
  9. Shih_Tzu_Lover

Name:
    Mizz-Hollie-Ess
    Heyyah
    Thanks For replying so quickly :lol:
    I am trying desperately to get the bloomin dog to leave it!
    But the thing is the owner is just isnt bothered!

She lets the dog off the leader every walk and then just lets the dog annoy other people and their dogs, she has no control over him - BUT SHE ISNT BOTHERED! And then when people pick the dog up by the collar and sort of remove him from their shaking and rather confused dog hahaa she gets so ANNOYED and then i say to her
    'Well thats not fair on the other persons dogs!' That just annoys me!!!! :twisted:

Thanks for the advice - Hollie x
  10. EmmaWatson

EmmaWatson New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I would stop walking with them, i know this wont solve the problem but you can only help someone who wants to be helped and your dog is clearly getting hurt by the other dog!
  11. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Do you have a good local dog warden.....?
    Someone who might just accompany you on a walk with this other lady sometime... or simply go round and see her in the most tactful way? or do you know anyone who is a trainer/behaviourist who might *innocently* come out with you one day and take the lady aside... 8)
  12. Shih_Tzu_Lover

Name:
    Mizz-Hollie-Ess
    Thanks again everyone for taking the time to reply - xD
    Thats what annoys me,
    Where i live there used to be 3 bullmastiffs living accross the road from us and when i was out walking my puppy once the dogs were off the leader ( running riot as always ) and they saw Romeo so i picked him up and then one jumped up and slobbered down my neck, the other bit Romeo's tail and then the other was chewing at Romeo's leader and the owner was like
    'they're just playing' and we dont have a dog warden to notify!
    It annoys me at people's ignorance, much like this womans!!!