Some help with Sam PLEASE!??? Behaviour

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by BeagleDad, Jun 2, 2009.

1. BeagleDad

BeagleDad New Member

Name:
    Dan
    Well the vet has confirmed she has a bit of upset tummy. So off food for 24 hours and some gel stuff twice a day with special food he has given me.

Also the vets had a behaviour nurse who was great and chatted to me for nothing! May make an appointment with her but backed up a lot of what you guys said and so put it all into action and we'll be fine.

THANKS ALL VERY MUCH
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

Name:
    Edna
    Hope she feels better soon :)
  4. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    good luck

dont get to hung up on me saying she HAS to stay on the lead.

she could be the exception to the rule that says you shouldnt let dogs off early

just keep in mind the other angles i got you to think about - ie, some long line recall training may help the bonding process,
    and if she is good on recall now, that may be 'unconditioned' (ie, her choice) as she hasnt got all her confidence up yet, but as she gains this, she may get cheekier, which is where a 'conditioned recall' comes in (ie, your choice).

a bit of mixing up of on and off lead sessions, depending on loation and training, might work?
    you would know best
  5. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Poor poppet! Hope she feels better soon!

For what its worth I agree with Krusewalker (again....it is a habit of mine it would appear..)
    I would also think that her questionable recall is starting in the garden and house because she feels more safe and settled there than she does in the field..it oculd be something that suddenly transfers to the field so I would think it is best to pre empt that and pop her on a longline until she is responding to you properly around the house and garden again.

Hope she is feeling lots better soon
  6. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    Treat her as a puppy to be trained, assume she knows nothing & you can retrain it all! the way you want to!!!!
  7. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

Name:
    Edna
    Our last foster dog was off the lead from day one, but he was an extremely overweight black lab. He couldn't have run away if he wanted to. I think it depends on the dog how soon you can let it off.
  8. Hannaho

Hannaho New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    Hi penny my beagle whinned and whinned at night time - my own fault i let her come on our bed when she was a pup but when she started snoring i realised she shouldnt be on my bed!
    she used to mess in the night as well even if i had just let her out, i think this was because she was letting me know she wasnt happy in her own bed! lol

do you have any other dogs? if not maybe in a few months or so when shes settled it might be worth thinknig about getting another one - only if you feel you could have two dogs and you have the time to look after them. Penny doesnt whine anymore because she has my other beagle cookie - beagles crave company and personaly ive fouind it was the best thing ive ever done getting another dog they love each other and tier each other out. its not the right thing to do for everyone though to have two it is more work - butin a good way!

as for the recall you will get there it just takes time esp since shes not a puppy anymore , but it seems shes landed on her feet finding a lovely home with someone who really cares for her

hope it goes well
  9. BeagleDad

BeagleDad New Member

Name:
    Dan
    Guys thank you so much for all your advice and help.

I think the unconditioned recall is a very good point and sounds exactly like the situation here tbh.

Will take all the advice and I'm going to be trying to sort some 1-1 training out for me and my partner soon.

I have just posted a disicpline question in the other area maybe some of you could spot it and help? Basically wanting to know the best way of telling her off (when well of course!)

Thanks again
  10. JIMMY LAW

JIMMY LAW New Member

Name:
    JIM
    Hi Beagledad, I agree with Hannaho, i always thik its easier with two Beagles than one. I couldnt see any point in putting her back on the lead if her recall is good. You are right in feeling that you are going backwards if you put her on a long lead. Beagles and other scent hounds will always have their moments of selective deafness as you are fully aware. Beagles will never be a command dog like an Alsation etc. So alot of the times you just have to go with the flow.
  11. BeagleDad

BeagleDad New Member

Name:
    Dan
    Hi Jimmy, I am just wondering about the "unconditioned" recall theory?

Beagle trait or should I be worried she has started to ignore sometimes at home and might suddenly out in the fields?

Thanks
  12. Bonwillan

Bonwillan New Member

Name:
    iain
    When our first Beagle was hit and miss with her recall we trained her with a dog whistle. Worked a treat in the garden, every time it was food time or if she was sniffing down the garden we would blow the whistle and she would come charging back for her food or a tasty treat. When we moved to using it outside it worked a treat as she associated the whistle with good things and came back every time.

As other people have said having two or more beagles is easier than having one, after all thet are pack animals and are happier when with other dogs.
  13. BeagleDad

BeagleDad New Member

Name:
    Dan
    Unfortunately Sam was split from her brother by the people who got rid of her to the sanctuary! Doesn't help either....

One thing on the whistle, did she just realise it was a whistle and come??????

I tried a normal whistle last week and she ran out into the garden and wouldn't come near lol!!!!!!

Thanks
  14. Hannaho

Hannaho New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    my two are generally good at coming back but like jimmylaw said they have there moments! i dont think there ignoring you its just there so into smelling something they cant really hear you! the best thing i do is go on my bike with them they love it! and they dont go on a lead unless were by a road but they are brilliant, nothing will stop them running
    ive just came back from taking them i must of passed about 10 dogs on the beach and they didnt even look at them i think they were concentrating and what i was doing!
  15. BeagleDad

BeagleDad New Member

Name:
    Dan
    LOL problem is I'd kill myself in the process.

Going to get a dog whistle I think and give it a go, also contacted a couple of local trainers re some 1-1.
  16. Hannaho

Hannaho New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    haha yeah ive fallen off mine a few times looking at them making sure there still behind me!!

i know dogs dont laugh but im sure mine do i can see it in there eyes like a moment of joy that i made myself look stupid - again!!

training is a good idea but honestly she will soon get the jist of it with the recall she probaly just doesnt know what your asking of her because shes never known it or she may have been shouted out by her previous owners when she did finaly come back to them! so she thinks its wrong to come back but she will get there
    good luck let us know how you get on
  17. BeagleDad

BeagleDad New Member

Name:
    Dan
    I certainly will keep in touch this forum is absolutely superb, So friendly and informative. Thanks All
  18. Bonwillan

Bonwillan New Member

Name:
    iain
    Hi Beagledad, our beagle did not know to come to the whistle, we blew it when she was close and when she took notice we treated her. Being a greedy breed it did not take long to associate that the whistle was good news. I did not buy the normal dog whistle I got one which you can change the pitch. You tune the whistle to your dog. You tend to get them from good gun shops, plus they are high pitched so you wont upset the neighbours when you blow it at 1am in the morning.
  19. BeagleDad

BeagleDad New Member

Name:
    Dan
    Well thought I'd fill you in with the latest!

Sam is much better tummy wise, and in fact I think that has helped the discipline! She has had to wait for food and the vet suggested one big feed a day not two small, this means she has had much more excitement in wanting food and I can use the sit/stay etc.

Coming much better on walks at the moment also!

Getting a whistle still, and staying with one main feed a day.

Thanks all
  20. tink

tink New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    Hi Beagledad,
    sorry i missed your post but you seem to have gotton some great advice,Glad things are going ok for you,
    Just wanted to add my Alfie was great with recall whether at home or out but he had a very much 'In my own time' way about him lol ! he would give me this look that kinda said 'yes,in a minute,when i'm done thank you' before coming over to me when called (as slowly as possible i might add :) )
  21. BeagleDad

BeagleDad New Member

Name:
    Dan
    Hiya Tink, sounds familiar lol.