Malamute - final height Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Tassle, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H

Malamute - final height

For those of you with Malamutes.....

Just out of curiosity really, I have a young dog in one of my classes (he is a rehome - had to go back to the breeder as the first family he was with split :()....

Anyway - he seems to have fallen on his feet, but (to me) seems very small for the breed. He is 13 months old. Will he grow much more or is he at his final height? His affix is Snowshoe if that is any help.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

Most will have reached their final height at that age, but will take much longer to fill out and mature. One of mine kept growing (height wise) until he was approx 14/15 months so it is possible he will gain a little bit of height.

How tall would you say he is? The dogs that come from that particular breeder are very varied though so it will be hard to say for certain how he will mature.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2009
  4. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    He is not bigger than my GSD X who is around 24 - 25 maybe.

It could be becasue he is in the same class as a British Innuit who is massive!
  5. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

Well 25" - 28" is our current height range for a male, in the states the desired freighting size is 25". One of mine is 25", the other 26" - a lot look bigger due to the coat. If he is 24" - 25" then he will be towards the lower end of the standard, but a perfectly acceptable height.
  6. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H

As I said - probably due to the Huge BI! Makes him look didi!

He is loosing a lot of coat at the moment! I am having to sweep up after he has left as there are tufts coming out left, right and centre! Don't know how you cope! Gabe is bad enough :lol:
  7. AlannaJohan

AlannaJohan New Member

Name:
    Alanna Johan
    I have certainly seen some variation in growth age, but I would say at that age there is unlikely to be any significant further growth in height - but their chest will still need to drop and they will generally still have some filling out to do, so it can sometimes be an optical illusion. As Greyhawk said, his actual size is not outside standard. Then again, my boy always seemed smaller than his dad to me, but stood side by side at the age of 8 months he was actually a good inch taller - just lacking substance, so to speak!

I would agree with that. A couple I met with a dog from one their litters struck me as seeming quite small for their age, but then only a month or so ago I was thinking that one of their dogs was one of the biggest boys in the ring! So hard to say on that front...
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2009
  8. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

:lol: By investing in a good hoover and not minding the grooming :grin:

Coat can really make a difference, my girl has blown everything at the moment and even people that see her weekly were commenting on it on Sunday :lol:
  9. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Can you Puppy Farmer??
  10. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    What really surprised me about the opening post is the statement "went back to the breeder to be rehomed" from what I have heard and this is only heresay the breeder does not take back dogs after they have sold them? but its nice to hear that they do in fact take them back as this incident shows.
    I agree with all that has been said, if the heights you mentioned are correct then it is within the breed standard.

Mo