I think there may be a good NI breeder!! General Chat

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by kcjack, Apr 9, 2009.

1. GSD_Steve

GSD_Steve New Member

Name:
    Steve
    i do view posts on here from time to time but have just re-registered, not sure what my original details are lol

re the early posts regarding Addisons, it is absolutely pointless testing for Addisons unless you actually suspect your dog is suffering from it at that time. Many dogs will show normal levels on tests until middle age so if you test or you have tested then it doesn't mean much i'm afraid.

i am surprised that a decent vet would actually test for no reason
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. batmandy

batmandy New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    And if i wanted a spelling lesson TEACHER then i will ask.

So keep you big nose out of my conversation TEACHER
  4. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    I have looked into this also, and have found the same so I do not intend to test for this. I have also looked into tests for carriers of VWD for NI's.... not available at the moment from what I have found. I fully intend to have all my pups eye tested at 6wks old, all of my "breeding stock" will also be hip and elbow scored AND DNA profiled. Yet I am clasesd as a bad breeder :roll:
  5. *Lorraine*

*Lorraine* New Member

Name:
    Lorraine

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.
    Tests mean nothing....unless the problem has already manifested itself.

No test is a 100% guarantee , there will always be underlying factors & associated illnesses which can effect diagnosis.
  6. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    You speak about the future that hasnt happened yet maybe people judge on what has happened.
  7. GSD_Steve

GSD_Steve New Member

Name:
    Steve
    I have a 3 year old that has been with us for a year now, she was diagnosed with Addisons just a few weeks ago after a very serious seizure, there was no way we could have suspected she had it prior to this. If she had been tested early on it life it just wouldn't have shown
  8. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Yes, and i have told the truth about my first NI litter I bred and because of me being honest I have been attack!

Yes I speak of the futrue of the pups that i breed, and I should do! Because it is them I am bringing into the world, and therefore my responsibility to do everything i can to ensure they will have a long happy life!
  9. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    As it was your previous litter
  10. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    I am so sorry for your baby, but as you say there was know way of knowing, unless they have it at the time of teasting it really is just a wast of time. I hope she lives a v long and happy life with you, give her a big hug from me :grin:
  11. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Yes my first NI litter,did I sherk my responsibility?? No I didn't, and I am pleased to say I am still in contact with the owners and they are still very happy healthy puppies :grin:
  12. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    What about all of my other none NI litters? And the rescue litters I have hand reared over the years, and the messed up rescuces I have taken in and rehabilitated ready for re-homing? Have you and others taken this into account? NO!!
  13. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    What about poor Nanuq's first litter? So in theory you have had two NID litters.........both being of detrement to the dogs:-(
  14. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Then there is the fact that although you claim to be so knowledgeable about dogs, you claim that although your bitch was heavily pregnant at a show, where you showed her, you didn't realise she was pregnant???? No wonder people take what you say with a pinch of salt. Remember, self praise is no recommendation.
  15. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    No Nes I have NOT had two NI litters!! Nanuq was bred behind my back and without my knowlage!! :evil:
  16. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    I did not show her, as I have said before, I hardly saw her at the show and even judge did not know she was peg! And from my workings out, nanuq would've been 3-4wks in pup, if you really think this is heavily preg then you are showing you own lack of knowledge.

I have never self praised, just goes to show how little you know me :roll:
  17. *Lorraine*

*Lorraine* New Member

Name:
    Lorraine
    Is there any way this topic can be split ?
    You have a member here with 1st hand experience of Addisons & it's getting lost amongst all sniping.
    As it's a rare illness somebody may benefit from a little factual information.
  18. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    And this brings s full circle back to the origins of the post and the praise the the breeder in question.

With

Which set me to ask
    If the breed is prone to Addison's, why did the breeder not test her dogs before she bred them.. why did it take a new owner to the breed to inform her about it!!

As I stated in an earlier post , that I had been through the procedure myself with a dog with suspect Addison's , and know all that is involved..

I also remember my vet saying the exact same as has been said on here by every single person.. that there is no point in pre-testing for this disease

That's why I asked what I did, as from the praise that kept coming about the breeders knowledge on all the health problmes in the breed..seemed to be discredited by the above statements..

Which them sets of other alarm bells , when high hip scoring dogs are used to breed.

This is a forum, , if you put your self up for discussion (or someone else does) you are going to get it.

We are not anti breeder, we are 100% pro-breeder

But we are anti bad breeders.. and they will be caught out, usually be giving themselves away..

Believe me we have had some bad ones here, but they will always be sussed.
  19. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    The member can start an new thread in the "health" section if the want.

Glad to see you have also got yourself away from the computer !!;-)
  20. Pidge

Pidge New Member

Name:
    Em
    Some of the posts in this thread are so childish. It's abit tragic really.

So, why are we hounding Kate for testing/not testing for Addisons if Steve and Cheyenne confirm it doesn't do a thing?
  21. GSD_Steve

GSD_Steve New Member

Name:
    Steve
    Jackbox - for what reasons did you test for Addisons out of interest?

I do not see the point of testing a dog for AD before breeding unless you suspect the dog has Addisons, this would prove nothing and more than anything would give a puppy owner a false sense of security by implying the dog is free of AD