A quick NI-BI question

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Jem, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    curly tails, soft ears...I don't know terminology, but there are some that I have seen that just don't seem to fit the general NI look...whether its a nose that points too much or too lean of a body build...of course, it could just be the way the picture is taken...or maybe they just don't take good pictures at all...

however, put to the right stud, most pups don't seem to have those traits...in the two years I have been researching this, I ,personally, have seen the quality of pups improve...even with faults in the parents...

plus it seems that most breeders are looking at health more than look qualities right now...better hip scores, better lines of healthy dogs, less line breeding...it'll be easier to obtain healthy pups if some "less-than-perfect" parents are used, rather then just using the small handful of "ideal" dogs, which all probably have similar lines.

Not really on-topic, but I think that the next major manditory thing that should be added to become a registered breeder should be DNA profiling for all breeding dogs and the pups produced...some breeders do this already, but I think that it would help to show that NIS (or any other breed club...TIDA, Ute clubs, whatever) is not hidding anything...it just seems a shame that it has to come to that to make people believe...
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    Excellent post, totally agree. Health should come before inbreeding for type.

I believe Tida already DNA profile breeding dogs and bitches. And only hipscored dogs with good scores are on their website.

DNA profiling pups, (along with microchip records to prevent incorrect DNA samples), records being held by the clubs would prevent disputes about parentage in the future.

It is not too late to DNA profile dogs that have already been used, it would be easy to DNA test parents, siblings and pups and add the information to the breed clubs database.

and to go back on topic

Jem

It doesn't really matter to me if an NI is registered with NIS,Tida, BI, or unregistered, IMO it is an NI if it's parents are both NI. Whichever group the owners choose their NI to be registered with doesn't make any difference to me.
  4. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Hi Lunakitty
    I agree with a lot of what you say if your looking for a pet dog. If for example you were looking for a breeding pair to take to the states to introduce the 'type' there would you still feel its ok to use bitches and studs who produce soft ears, curly tails, patchy pups?
  5. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    I think theres more of this type in Scotland than anything else ( soft ears )
    [​IMG]
    Maybe we should re write the standard to match pmsl
  6. boobah

boobah New Member

Name:
    lorraine

Awwwwwwwwwww he's lovely :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:soft ears and all ;-)xxxxxxx
  7. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    ahhh.. bless his heart :049:
  8. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Thanks you 2 , I love him really, lol
  9. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Hi Inki
    How many would you say are in Scotland and is the stud dog/bitch in question still in use? Were you told your dog would have soft ears by the breeder?
  10. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Inkas Dad is no longer used as far as I'm aware, Inkas mum is still being bred from, she has just been covered by sawtooth haldir from the Alska kennels up here...
    This is Inkas dad, Kaos
    [​IMG]
    Inkas brother...
    [​IMG]...
    laws of averages on soft ears 16 ...
  11. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Is that Kaos - Shadowlands Kaos @ Rienach out of Dante and Heyoka?
  12. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    I would not want a curly tail or patchy pup myself (breeding or not)...but if there was another in the litter that did have the trait, I wouldn't be put off...I am well aware that the breed is still developing...and I feel like its getting better every year.

And as long as you have done research to know what patterns to look for, or have an honest breeder or other knowledgable person to help you out...I think that finding a good typey dog with new lines wouldn't be that hard.

;-) Have I mentioned that I am taking this little girl from Honiahaka's Moley? (yes, Moley has a curly tail, and I don't think-I could always be wrong-that my little girl will get that...as it would have already started to curl by now)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry if I am a bit biased.....but isn't she just the cutest thing ever?!?! lol.
  13. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    No i dont think you are biased, she's adorable :001:
  14. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Aw she is adorable, cheeky expression, you'll have loads a fun with that one x
  15. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Ok your going to have to correct me if i'm wrong here but was Sawtooth Haldir's brother Sawtooth Aramous not stated as being epileptic on another forum?.
  16. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I agree with a lot of that LK, good post! :grin:
  17. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    sawtooth last knight is the relation to these 2 that was mentioned with epilepcy
  18. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Is Last knight from the same litter as the stud dog Haldir?
  19. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    do you mean the non-identifiable becoming the blurred identity?
  20. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    Eh?
    Sorry but i get confused easily so small words please :lol:
  21. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    The main query for my question was I know dogs can be duelled registered i've heard of this before but if a dog has always been a NI and then suddenly changes groups why does that dog then become a BI?