A quick NI-BI question

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Jem, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Colour anomalies crop up in many breeds, doesn't mean you shouldn't use the dog at stud unless that is all he throws. Genetic diversity shold be cherished more than the odd wrong coloured puppy.
    Becky
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    Obviously, an outstanding hip score of 2:2 is too hard of a concept to understand...I guess it might be hard for some to believe that there are breeders that want to produce healthy pups with healthy hips, regardless of one patchy pup.
  4. kate hearne

kate hearne New Member

Name:
    kate
    possible many dogs could carry the patchy gene ....it is only obvious when two carriers come together :lol:
    so dads are not always to blame :roll:
  5. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    He's only thrown one patchy its hardly odd plus i've seen horrendous looking patchies n the dog in question is a cracking looker x
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    So 2:2 is the lowest Ni scored? :?
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I agree it takes both, and if the patchy dog in question is never bred from, then it cant be passed on there either can it, good practice.:grin:

Im assuming the dog/bitch wouldnt anyway as patchy is clearly a fault, and with people like JK stating the gene pool is big enough, there is certainly no need for expansion with breeding wrong colours.

Kate, can I ask did you have the DNA test or the Elisa test on Storm for VwD?
  8. kate hearne

kate hearne New Member

Name:
    kate
    It was the latter dawn ;-) I understand from what my vets have told me and the idexx lab consultant that the DNA test is not available to NI yet ?
  9. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    Color is just one trait, though...and, according to the genetic books I have read, one of the easiest traits to change...surely if everything else is outstanding in the said dog, particularly health/hips, i don't see why it would hurt to expand a little. Just because a gene pool is big enough to not mix lines too closely, doesn't mean that every dog is perfect breeding quality. Its hard to say what traits she will pass on until she has had a litter.
  10. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Possibly, yes, its done on breeds I think. The Elisa test left "grey" areas on the clear/carrier level when they were testing Dobes, when they do DNA for all dogs it will be great.

So you breed and hope? Im glad I dont subscribe to that theory thanks!! How about, she has a fault which is clearly NOT recognised within the breed, she (as you say) should not be bred from as she has nothing more to offer the breed than it already has?
  11. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    I didn't say I agree, but I understand their argument. There are a handful of dogs that have less obvious faults being bred from and producing better pups since they are put with a good stud that helps to cancel out faults...its not something I would do, but if it improves the overall health of the breed, I don't see why its a problem...as health should always be first and most important thing...
  12. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    If colour is one of the easiest traits to change why have so many NI litters got patchy's in them?
  13. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    I havn't seen a patchy in a NIS litter for ages so where are you looking?
  14. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    Are there really that many? I can only go off of what I see online, and there really doesn't seem to be a whole lot...I see a lot of patchy Ute pups...but not that many (if any) patchy NI pups, and the only adult patchy I know of is Xero...really she's the only patchy NI that I have seen, tbh. It makes me think that there are not as many as people say.
  15. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Really?
    Ive seen a few, browse the sites and you find them, would you like me to p.m you some sites?
    I do agree there are a lot more Ute patchy's than NI but come on there are still patchy NI pups born and if its so easy to change colour why is it not being done when its a fault in the standard? Its supposed to be about improving is it not?

Is this all just to get away from the topic of Raven?

Edit to add - i just noticed another of your stud dogs produces patchy pups (gengalers mohawk sired a litter of 6 last year, 2 black and white patchy bitches in it.
  16. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    are these nis pups or ni's in general?
  17. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Good, Im pleased you dont agree.:grin:

Which less obvious faults are you speaking of?
  18. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    But the reg name often changes.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009
  19. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Yeah so we keep hearing, why is that I wonder?:roll:
  20. Cheyenne