Why are Saarloos being crossed with NIs? Controversial

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Lucky Star, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Why are Saarloos being crossed with NIs?

My question is genuine.

I don't understand why a breed such as the Saarloos or CWD is being crossed with the NI.

The NI has received a lot of negative publicity lately, with respect to genetic health problems and poor record keeping/dodgy pedigrees.

Why has it been seen as necessary to use them in a cross, if their health and background is so poor?

What is seen as wrong with the Saarloos or CWD that a cross was seen as necessary? Why not keep them as they are?

Thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    My point exactly!
  4. Heather and Zak

Heather and Zak New Member

Name:
    heather
    I too have asked the question. Why not keep the Saarloos and CWD pure? But have yet to get an answer from anyone. To cross these dogs with NI's and their iffy history and health problems, the only reason that I can see is ££££££££. What other reason could there be? To go to all the trouble to get the Saarloos and CWD's over here only to cross them. It just doesn't make sense.
  5. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    I can see why NIDs would benefit if it was to improve their apparent health issues with an organised breeding plan but I am at a loss to see the benefit to Saarloos or CWD. I am sure I read somewhere that Saarloos have a smaller gene pool than the CWD, if this is the case then are breeders in Europe addressing the potential problems?
    By adding NIDs do Saarloos and CWD become easier to handle?
  6. Moonstone

Moonstone New Member

Name:
    S
    My thoughts exactly, crossing the Saarloos and CWD with the Northern Inuit is just a recipe for disaster, and will not benefit the Saarloos or CWD. To import these beautiful dogs and then mess around with them is disgusting.:evil:
  7. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

I can see that benefit too, although it would take scrupulous record keeping and documentation, plus control of progeny and who they go to, so that any genetic health issues were not perpetuated. This seems a huge task to me.

Yet, I don't understand that if the NI is so unhealthy why anyone would wish to use them in another breeding programme. Nor do I understand the desire to introduce these apparent health issues into another breed. :?

If NIs are so unhealthy, why use them at all?
  8. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    i wondered this too! Are the NIs used mainly bitches? if so then i suspect its just to produce more pups, & by using NI bitches i suspect they will be easier to handle during the whole whelping bit.

Also i guess the gene pool is quite small other here with sarloos & CWD, so i suppose with the amount of pups they produce then they need different lines, not sure why they would want to use such a inbred animal though.

Introducing a new breed to the country ,should be a slow steady thing, not changing it to suit your own purposes/speed up the process?????

or i suppose they could be trying to create the "ultimate" wolfdog???? bit of this ,pinch of that, sprinkle of such & such.In order to produce "their" own stamp of dog
  9. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    Which is exactly how the NI (and all it's subsequent problems and issues) started. Talk about history repeating itself!

Mick
  10. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
  11. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Thanks Liz, I'd forgotten that thread. I wouldn't mind but I even posted on it.:blush::lol:
  12. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    I asked this on Cry wolf and the answer was something to do with the temperement but I cant remember 100% what it was and as I'm now banned from CW i cant find you the full answer :roll: .
    I know it had nothing to do with health x
  13. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I tend to agree with your first post on the other thread TBH Jem . . .Money Money Money (with Abba as well :) )
  14. Heather and Zak

Heather and Zak New Member

Name:
    heather
    Jem one of the answers was, (Also it is well known that crosses are healthier and longer lived):roll: And CR response was he was already breeding NI's and had an opportunity to acquire a Csv bitch and he could see how superior these crosses would be.:roll: Does that ring any bells Jem, bet you had a laugh at those answers:lol:
  15. banji

banji New Member

Name:
    tamara

it does have something to do with health as far as i am aware.
    crossing with the healthier saarloos or chez creates a far healthier cross than the inuit breed alone was.
  16. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

I am also wondering about genetic diversity - or the lack of. If they only have access to a relatively small number of NIs and a limited number of wolfdogs, I don't understand how anyone can hope to continue without in-breeding. How can they ensure that unhealthy genes are diluted if this is the case and how can they ensure that carriers of genetic diseases are not put to carriers?
  17. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I for one would like to see the breeding plan/programe for these dogs,
  18. banji

banji New Member

Name:
    tamara
    i think it would be educational and paramount for prospective owners of any breed to ask the breeder about their specific breed programmes.
    it is very intersesting when done correctly from a scientific point of view.
    thus creating a wonderful healthy dog.
  19. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    I dont think it had anything to do with health as they are trying to cross the NI out as they are all "ticking time bombs" :roll:
    So it would defeat the object to be honest x
  20. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    I might see if I can take Shila to meet one and see if she bow's to it, with them being superior n all :lol:
  21. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    how many pure saarloos stud dogs are in the uk?