Border Collie names General Chat

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by Patch, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Icerunner

Icerunner New Member

Name:
    Kylie
    I agree I think we would all have collies called "Cap" one of the best, if the name rubbed off. Hope yours is a "Cap" in the making.

Hes my first collie and im totally in love hes called Flint, partly due to his colour hes a blue merle but iv been told he could be a slate merle, but also because we got him from Wales and the breeder was very near to a Slate Mine and the wall down to the farm was all slate/flint.:grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. chizzy

chizzy New Member

Name:
    chizzy
    Gil was my first collie, and the only one with a traditional name. Mine tend to be a mix between people and `word`names (much to my brothers amusement) Harry, China, Fidget, Ethan, Faye and the latest one, Sting.
  4. missy01

missy01 New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    my child hood Collie was called Curly - she was a rescue dog who had just been left in a back garden. The neighbours called her 'Girly' and so Curly rhymed. She was the best dog ever - the one who you compare all dogs to thereafter y'know?
  5. maxbeaujill

maxbeaujill New Member

Name:
    Jill
    Our gang of collies - Max (strong & fearless) Beau (Handsome Boy) and Star (Latin - Star), not traditional but my 9 year old who has Autism named them all particuarly for the meaning of their name - very complexed and technical!!
  6. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    Ripley or 'rip' for short is my first collie bitch.

Maverick (mav for short) followed not so long ago :)
  7. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    Those names seem awfuly familiar:002: Hiya lovely!
  8. chizzy

chizzy New Member

Name:
    chizzy
    Hiya Hunny bunch. Has you Yorkshire lady gone how yet?
  9. Dogmum

Dogmum New Member

Name:
    caz
    We have named our new BC pup Roy. My first was called Kim.
  10. BrendaMarie

BrendaMarie New Member

Name:
    Brenda
    I have my Jessie (no idea where the name came from)

and now that I'm looking at getting a new pup in the future I'm thinking about Flash, but that could change :) I'm trying to create a theme with my dog's names (Jessie probably won't fit in but all well). So far we have a Sibe named Storm, so trying to go with it :)
  11. BrendaMarie

BrendaMarie New Member

Name:
    Brenda
    Ok scratch that :) I now have a system of names... They may or may not be used in the future and I might not need them all but it's a list none the less :)

Girls:
    Rouge
    Dazzler
    Sway
    Sage
    Mystique
    Pixie
    Aurora
    Magik
    Domino
    Dagger
    Dust

Boys:
    Ice Man
    Angel
    Havok
    Sunfire
    Gambit
    Northstar
    Cloak
    Surge

Can any one guess what all these names have in common?!?!
  12. chizzy

chizzy New Member

Name:
    chizzy
    No idea...but I'd steal Sway in the future :)
  13. LittleMonkies

LittleMonkies New Member

Name:
    Carrie
    It took a while for us to choose names. We wanted proper 'boy' names because they looked like they'd be troublemakers!
    I knew that Max would be one of the names and it just seemed to suit him. We chose Ben because I've always liked it but also because it was a good boys name and he was very gentle as in Gentle Ben.
    The other thing we thought about was the possibility of having to use their names alot and decided shorter names would be best!
    When we registered them at the vets they were shocked to see dogs with such normal names!
  14. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Mine are called Jed and Jessie, traditional collie names by my reckoning but I like neither and named neither myself! I was going to change Jessie's but she already responded to it so well I kept it.

But if I was to have another collie and name it myself, I wouldnt go for traditional names, I prefer more unusual ones.
  15. BrendaMarie

BrendaMarie New Member

Name:
    Brenda
    I'm getting my names from the X-Men :) I'm thinking Rogue for my next one that I'm currently looking for, it's different :)

and Chizzy feel free to use the name :) It is a good one :)
  16. TBBS

TBBS New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    Adding to my names - Star.
  17. kimgodden@ntlwo

kimgodden@ntlwo New Member

Name:
    kim
    Hi all, i am new to this forum stuff but as i may be getting my 2nd BC thought i'd look for some name ideas.

We went for an un-traditional name for our first, he's a year old now and his name is BADGER...i didnt like it at first, hubbys choice, but it suits him now. Am thinking maybe a traditional JESS would be nice for my new little lady when she arrives :)
  18. kate_7590

kate_7590 New Member

Name:
    Kate
    I named Flint because it was a bit unusual and it sounded sharp and quick, which he is.

Simba, because when he was a fluffy puppy he looked like a leopard, we wanted a cartoon name coz he was so comical, and the only cartoon we could think of was the lion king..leopard/lion...lol so Simba it was!

Gemma... because she is one lol
  19. Snorri the Priest

Snorri the Priest New Member

Name:
    Thorgrim Thorgrimsson
    As all my boys were coming from Orkney farms, I felt that Norse names would be appropriate, so............

Dog 1:
    There was a Norse Earl here around 1100 AD, called Kali Kolsson. He built a Cathedral in Kirkwall, dedicated to the memory of his uncle, Magnus. Dog 1 was named after him.

Dog 2:
    Dog 2 was Kali's brother and nephew :roll: . Four years of Kali had convinced us that all BC puppies were toerags, so Dog 2 became Snorri (it means "naughty boy"), and the original was a proper fixer! Years went by, till both died, last October.

Dog 3 is Thorgeir, named after an early Speaker of the Icelandic parliament ("Althing"), on whose vote Iceland became Christian.

Snorri
  20. Jfk

Jfk New Member

Name:
    Jo
    I like both traditional and not.

First collie was a rescue girl puppy brought home from a holiday in the lakedistrict. We were staying in a cottage on a beck. So Beck she was. Next rescue pup was a girly called Tarn keeping up the water link. Next one a year old rescue already named Jake. Then came a girly called Jazz, I named her years before she arrived. Now I have Kyp, also decided on before he arrived. My next one will be a girly with the name Mayhem to shorten to May.

My mum has a collie called Fern, named because the first time we saw her her coat was sticking out all over the place like fronds.
  21. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Flint is quite a popular sheepdog name. I like it.