Wolf lookalike breeders Controversial

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by kcjack, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    Ok, as a point of interest when you say breeds do you mean all those listed in the first post:
    NI, BI, Saarloos and CWD and any mixture thereof?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. blue29

blue29 New Member

Name:
    allan
    Does it matter why any breed is created,dogs do all sort of jobs,and one of the biggest they do,is make there families happy,and are companions to those who they live with.so what if some of them go on to work,and others just are companions,it would make me smile if these dogs do go on to be a breed of fantastic standards,doing SAR etc,aswell as family pets,i just dont get why some people are so up in arms about this,its sad really that people dont want to see good things progress.
  4. blue29

blue29 New Member

Name:
    allan
    Could it be those with breeds established to do this work already are frightened,these dogs could become,better at it than theres,surely that could only be a good thing,more lives saved quicker,etc.If these dogs prove to be excellent,thats just my opinon
  5. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Well i have no idea why the breed was created but i am glad the NI is here as the are a perfect fit for me.

I love the northern breeds and for me this is MY look of dog, but it took me 8 years to be able to let my husky off the lead. Trainning her to do anything is a battle and its hit and miss if she would do it anyway! But with Ela it so much better, she has great recall and she is in fact better off lead then on (teenage stage rebellion means she is pulling like a train at the min but we are working on it!). They are still not a first time dog by any means but that doesn't bother me i just wanted a bit more trainability to work with then the exsisting northern breeds offered without losing the look. That for me the little nook that the NI can live in and do well at and is my feeling as to why they were created.
  6. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    They do obvisley fill a niche or they wouldnt be so popular! & Are obvisley much loved or such high feelings wouldnt be encountered!!!

I wish you all good luck with your chosen breed/Xbreed.

If youve found a good breeder you can trust , then thats the most impotant thing!
  7. blue29

blue29 New Member

Name:
    allan
    Totally agree,from what ive read,they do fill alot of peope with joy,etc,and with the high feelings like you say,they are truely loved,i to wish them luck for the future to,and hope all the nasty comments etc dont keep going on,its not the dogs fault at the end of the day,life is to short for so much anger some people have towards each other,about such lovely dgs all breeds i mean.
  8. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    my issue is dogs being bred despite health tests not being good and particular dogs with epilepsy in their lines still being bred from- which is totally totally wrong. I know every breed has bad breeders but breeders of cwd, sarloos and NI just seem to be about making money- as one person has already admitted thats what they are breeding for.
    I dont have a problem with them as pets its when false claims are made by the breeders
  9. kodi2000

kodi2000 New Member

Name:
    mike
    couldnt agree more....thank you :grin: :grin:
  10. blue29

blue29 New Member

Name:
    allan
    KC reg dogs are still being bred from,even with all there health issues as we all no,crufts says it all,is that not for money.These northern breeds are not just bred for money,its because people actually like them and want them as pets etc,this is from where i watching whats going on.
  11. blue29

blue29 New Member

Name:
    allan
    GSD have far more health issues than these breeds,at least now its in the open whats going on with the breed,and hopefully from whats being said else where they are trying to sort it out,is this happening to the frog leg GSD i wonder,what a bloody shame that is,i grew up round GSD and find what happening far more sickening, than the nothern breeds
  12. blue29

blue29 New Member

Name:
    allan
    Look at the boxer and its problems,still breeding form it, and king charles spaniel, and its problems, i just think people are giving northern breeds alot of stick,yes the breeders of NI did make a mess of things,but its all out in the open now,just give them a chance to put it right,and give them a break a bit. They are not savage beast,dominant from what ive read,and not for novice owners,like alot of breeds,i would like to meet up with these dogs one day,and may just do that in the near future.
  13. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    I was going to invite you to come and meet my guys, but I think I might be too far away for you, I'm in Co.Durham now but I was in Milton Keynes a month ago :grin:
  14. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    In fact I will extend that invite to anyone that would care to meet me face to face and my dogs, will be interesting to see who takes me up on the offer :grin:
  15. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    I'll take you up on that offer quite gladly.
  16. moetmum

moetmum New Member

Name:
    Gerry

I have kept out of this thread so far, my concerns apart from health testing is the dogs,welfare, with so many being bred and some I suspect for the wrong reason, by the wrong people, what happens if it all goes wrong? Do you take your dogs back (I am not talking personally but generally). When I had Afghan Hounds, a long time ago now, they were the latest thing to have, pop stars had them or were photographed with them and it was a major problem with many ending up in rescue, I am thankful that the breed I am in now is not a commercial type of breed with no real rescue problems. I would add that I hate to see anything crossed with my breed.

I for one, if I am ever up that way, would love to come and meet your dogs, I was tempted to buy a Siberian Husky when I changed breeds back in the 80's, I didn't because I knew I would end up with many more than one!!

The other thing I am curious about is how often the bitches come into season, do any of the breeds or crosses only come in once a year?
  17. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    I'm sure some one will correct me if I'm wrong. I think the saarloos comes into season only once a year, I'm not sure about the czech wolfdog. The crosses of these dogs i.e czech x ni, I think come into season twice a year like most other breeds.
  18. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    I would be interested in what health issues you believe the GSD has that these havent, especialy as the NI as the English type GSDs in its ancestory, that cary epilepsy etc and no doubt that is where the Epilepsy in the NI as come from. ?
  19. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    Unfortunately, all it would take would be a "cute" film featuring Basenjis and the situation could change dramatically. When we got our first Siberian 15 years ago, they were still pretty rare and hard to get hold of. Today, the puppy farmers, backyard breeders and "pet" breeders are churning our poor quality sibes like there's no tomorrow and huge numbers end up in welfare. Add to that the fact that they are being crossed willy-nilly with every breed you can imagine (and some you can't) and you have a nightmare scenario.

Tell me about it!!!!!! :022:

Mick
  20. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    On the subject of random crosses with daft names. Who in their right mind would want to cross these breeds.
  21. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    Wierd!! - - doesn't seem to have inherited much from the Eskimo side.

Mick
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.