Wolf lookalike breeders Controversial

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by kcjack, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona

It can happen, a child could do it? there are hundreds of reasons,

also if the dog took off on a walk, then someone tried to catch it,

in a kennel situation,

I think your taking the term backed into a corner as an aggressive stance by people, {not sure why}

try to think outside the box a bit here guys.

My point being dogs that are shy, can snap, if in a small space!! eg in a small hallway, under a table, whatever if there is no option for flyte, then it would be fight.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel

Sorry but this is not the case. A WILD 100% wolf WILL run, hence why there no record of a healthy wolf attacking a human. BUT (a VERY big but) a wolf cross is a whole different kettle of fish . . . Just look at the US and the amount of attacks by wolf hybrids on people because of them getting into the wrong hands.
  4. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    hi hun, do you have any links? I take it these dogs are quite popular in the US
  5. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Geezer...

am confused..did you not say your dogs had great recall.. and then at the top of the page say you have problems with it?

I thought your oldest was 9 months?? hope you aren't taking him to 30 mile walks just yet
  6. banji

banji New Member

Name:
    tamara
    quote shona.My point being dogs that are shy, can snap, if in a small space!! eg in a small hallway, under a table, whatever if there is no option for flyte, then it would be fight.

i would never leave a child alone with any dog.
  7. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Banji I am very passionate about dogs and their welfare hence why it gets my goat up.
    And if you think I am bad here you should see the campaigns against the Welsh puppy farmers we are working on.
    I have such issues with breeders who are in it for a fast buck and not the love of their breed, and cannot comprehend why people are breeding x breeds other than a quick buck.
  8. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I agree with this statment completely - but things can happen in an instant. When I was younger my family were sat around and I tripped over the dog. It really frightened my mother as it happened so fast.
  9. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    They are on the increase in the US as the laws are not as strict in some states (tigers can be kept in texas :shock: ) Jem posted a large number of recorded attacks on another thread but i will have a nosey . . .
  10. banji

banji New Member

Name:
    tamara

the reasons for crossbreeding these dogs is explained on the website.
    as for welsh puppy farmers, hope you and the campaigners actually do something about it,because they are horrendous and they are the ones in my opinion,should be hung up.
    which is why crywolf has so much support.
    he is nothing like those puppy farmers.
    there is no point in me or anyone else attempting to educate you about crywolf.
    if you havnt been there, you really cant comment.
    if you were of independant thought,you would not make your mind up by reading what is written here.you have to leave the computer and visit these places for yourself.
    if you are that compasionate.
  11. banji

banji New Member

Name:
    tamara
    that can happen with any dog.as it did with you.
  12. geezer

geezer New Member

Name:
    Jon
  13. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    I think if you go through previous threads I have defended CW kennels on quite a few occasions but what has got my back up is the volume they are being produced at and the fact 2 I have met had E collars on and I believe they are being portayed as great family pets which I dont believe to be the case.
  14. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I had a quick look on the net, most of them {and there are a lot} seem to have been with dogs chained up, or kept in small spaces, or enclosures, but Im reading another link now,

much of what I seen on the first link made me feel these dogs are not being kept properly, why own a dog that must be chained??? or why chain a dog up then let kids run around it....

I do think the fact they are shy nervy, is a big issue with the breed.
  15. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
  16. Lene

Lene New Member

Name:
    Lene
    I have just spent 1.5 hours reading this whole thread... Yeah.. I read slow.. English is my second language...

I was happy to see that nearly all the posts were within the new guidelines...

I have nothing else to add, since I live in Australia, and we don't have many Northern breeds here... I can only wish...
  17. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
  18. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Oh and a bit i found on a shelter website in california about them:

About Wolf Hybrids
    Wolf hybrids are not recommended as household pets

Wolf dog mix animals (hybrids), whether domestic or wild, may have unpredictable behavior, and are therefore not recommended as household pets. Although selling or keeping wolf hybrids is not illegal in Sonoma County, the County offices of Public Health and Animal Care and Control discourage the breeding of these animals and caution against casual ownership. Special skills and facilities are necessary to keep wolf hybrids. Because of their ever-present wild nature, certain conditions apply to the immunization, registration, quarantine and control of these animals.

Wolf hybrids are unsuitable for a usual household pet setting due to their hereditary hyperactivity, destructiveness, dominance and predatory behavior toward animals and people (especially children). Rabies vaccination protocols have not been proven reliable in wolves and hybrids. I strongly recommend against breeding or owning these animals in Sonoma County for your protection and theirs.

- Peter Henriksen, DVM, Animal Kingdom Veterinary Hospital

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Risks and responsibilities
    The following information is provided for persons who own, or are considering ownership of, a wolf hybrid. Those who take on the ownership or care of a wolf hybrid must be sure to first understand the risks and responsibilities involved.

Although under state laws and regulations wolf hybrids do not require a special permit, they are required to be vaccinated against rabies and registered with Animal Care and Control. In unincorporated Sonoma County* wolf hybrids are subject to the same County laws as domestic dogs. They are issued identification tags but they are not considered licensed. This is because there is insufficient evidence that rabies vaccine is effective in wolf hybrids, and hence they cannot be considered immune to rabies even after vaccination. In fact, when high risk exposures occur involving hybrids, they may need to be destroyed for rabies testing.

* City residents should check with their local animal control for individual city regulations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Behavior and care
    Wolf-dog hybrid behavior is unpredictable and typical of pack animals like wolves. It is difficult for hybrids to adjust to an environment that is suitable for pet dogs. Natural predatory instincts combined with frustration and insecurity may result in destructive behavior and attacks on children or other animals. Hybrids are powerful and can destroy furniture, wooden doors, and other large objects.

Elizabeth Dunman of the North American Wildlife Park Foundation categorizes wolf hybrid behavior as falling into four areas: (1) hyperactivity/destructiveness, (2) dominate behavior, (3) territorial and (4) predatory behavior toward children. Only very skilled and very attentive owners manage to keep wolf hybrids healthy and secure. Caring for wolf hybrids also requires specialized facilities. Keeping hybrids on chains is dangerous and walking them in public is not recommended. An unpredictable animal may attack at any time and without provocation.

Wolf Park, a nationally recognized authority on the subject of hybrids, stresses the importance of adequate facilities, diet, and commitment by an owner for a wolf hybrid's entire life. Hybrids should always be kept within securely fenced compounds, with a minimum of 1600 square feet of space. Among other things, their diets must include fresh meat and bone.
  19. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    The Wolf is not the problem, the Saarloos is not the problem, the NI is not the problem, its when you cross with a naturally bold dog like the NI that you have the problem!!
  20. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I dont know dawn, I have never met a pure saarloos, but from what people are telling me, {who are said to know the breed} I find the whole, shy thing an issue, there is a very very fine line between shy/stand-offish/unsure of new enviroments type dog and a fear aggressive dog.

those breeding them will need to be very careful,
  21. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    They sound deranged to me!!!!!!!!!:blush: :roll:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.