German Shepherd/Alsatian split? Discussions

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Moobli, Feb 16, 2009.

1. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    GSDmad the last time there was a debate on the different types of GSD you mentioned Zamp. Yes you are entitled to your opinion but how can you comment on a dog that you have not seen or laid your hands on, not a critic at all is it.

Kirsty David is not antilong coat but anti Breeders who deliberately breed for long coat as these rarely do health test and when they do they do not take them into account. In fact he has owned Long coats in the past, and providing it was a good example of the breed with no other faults/health issues apart from length of coat would breed to a standard that did not carry the long coat gene. With the new tests available it is now possible to do this with certainty.
    Pam
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    I dont see why not Kirsty as it was put in place at last years British Seiger Show, so I dont see why other shows cant, along with a Breed Survey.
  4. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Just re-visited this thread due to my current deliberations about my future GSDs :) Head is still spinning with all the different info and viewpoints!

Obviously this thread is a couple of years old now, and the split talked about never came to anything.

Very interesting discussion.
  5. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Probably because the KC have at last totally dropped the erroneous name "Alsatian"from the GSD :002:
  6. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Where do dogs catch the train ....

At the Alstation ..:blush:
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Yes, good point! :)

Out of interest, are there still many breeders breeding for the "Alsatian" type shepherd - ie that old English show type of dog (such as Lornaville types) etc. I haven't seen any in the flesh in years.
  8. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    No wonder you are blushing ... that is dreadful :lol:
  9. MichaelM

MichaelM

Name:
    Michael
    I just Googled "Lornaville", found a pic of Lornaville Sea Bird. All I can think is why? What are they aiming for?
  10. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Mr Brandon is still producing his interpretation of the GSD as are others, only seen when one of their clique or certain all rounders are judging
  11. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    You would have to ask the breeders, as I really can't see what sort of dog they are aiming to produce ... a Corgi with slightly longer legs? :lol: They certainly aren't the sort of dogs who look as though they would be able to do much work.
  12. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Those type of dogs must have fans in certain circles then :?
  13. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Does anyone know whether there is a comprehensive guide online to the various different types of GSD available in the UK, together with pictures?

Or are any of the GSD experts on Dogsey able to write one?
  14. crazelpup

crazelpup New Member

Name:
    Jodie
    ok, GSDs and Alsations are the same things, british people used them in WW2 but didnt want them to have the word German in so changed their names... THEYRE THE SAME!!!
  15. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    =What a load of rubbish.

The German was called the Alsatian Wolfdog after WWI(not WWII)anything German was hated so much that innocent Dachshunds were kicked to death because they originated from Germany. The dogs brought over during WWI, were captured from German troops in Alsace Lorraine(which is on the border of France & Germany)& the Army officers including Major James Baldwin of the Picardy kennels(who were also Kennel Club members)thought calling them Alsatians would stop them being hated.

The Wolfdog was dropped as the public incorrectly believed the dogs had wolf blood in them & the name was changed to GSD(Alsatian)in 1977 & to GSD in 2010 in the UK

This is not what Kirsty wanted to know she is well aware that the Alsatian is a made up name for the GSD
  16. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    :roll: :roll: :roll: Have you read any of the previous pages on this thread??

Thanks Dyane :grin:
  17. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I don't enough about breeding but I don't think (for what it's worth) that there shoul dbe any type of split. A GSD is a GSD - no matter how many different names it's given. My 3 are more straight/square back whereas a little over 12 months ago a Chalksville GSD bitch came to me as a rescue ashe was only slightly sloping towards her rear end. This is as much as I would want personally but apparently it's not what is required for the dog to work all day long.

I agree with whoever it was who posted that breeders should be aiming for fantastic health and sound temperament.

Most of us, whether GSD owners or not I'm sure woul dhave our own ideals and personal preferences. Some would agree with me whereas others, particularly those more heavily involved int he breed would not necessarily.

But I don't see how it would benefit the breed to have a split?!
  18. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I'd love a thread about the different types of GSD with pictures and a description of type (whether it fits breed standard or not etc). There are so many types I get a bit lost actually knowing the names of the types I prefer! :lol:
  19. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    This looks interesting, not sure how accurate it is though?
  20. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Very interesting. I look forward to seeing what others think of how accurate it is.
  21. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Indeed. :D

I very much like the first one, but prefer the black and tan colour and the back is still just a tad too curved for me, but no doubt that opinion is wrong! :lol: