100% Wolf X Dog Controversial

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by liz & kiesha, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Eko

Eko New Member

Name:
    James Darch
    Writing to the council and giving valid & supported reasons for objection.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Then a small court room argument follows with you and the people you object to sitting in the same room, justifiying your reasons from each side to appointed council employees, betta make sure youv'e got a good defence ...
  4. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Welcome to dogsey.

Now, we're all like that are we? Prohaps you should read the entire thread propperly before making such a sweeping, judgemental statement, as you just acted in the way you have accused us all of behaving.
    and while I'm here, I'm so afraid to think outside my comfort zone, that I offered to meet with the people in question, so that theycould my dog work, as the job he does was something they're considdereing for this new breed venture and I thought, that it might help them in some way or another. Oh and just for the record, I havn't slagged either of them off, and have been asking for people not to either.

I'm getting quite dam sick of people comming on here, throwing us all in the same catagory, and then, accusing us of being narrow minded.

I apologise if this comes across as harsh, I'm normally atempt to be a bit more, diplomatic.
  5. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Ahh.....so this is the - It happened in the past so must be ok now - senario?

Yes I understand whatr has gone on in the past - thats no excuse for it happening again.
  6. The Master

The Master New Member

Name:
    john
    No need for that you just gather the evidence from the true wolf biologists and behaviourists and get them to do it and many want to, as they have great concerns about Shaun's interactions and so called wolf studies and the image of the wolf he promotes to the public. They and many other officials from dog organisations and clubs also have great concern over the proposed breeding programme.:002:
  7. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    Hi Banji, I won't take any offense here because though at one time I knew nothing of dog breeding; I do now and care little for a lot of what still goes on.

Though may be put from an emotional point of view, I think there is validity to remembering the past. I watched movie footage of the kennels where the Saarloos breed was developed and it is depressing and quite upsetting; Mr Saarloos was proud of the place, so I guess it's a matter of a different view point.

Animal research in the past was far from nice also and wolf research was based on confined animals in small cages where they could hardly move. Scientific dog behaviour tests in the 50s and 60s were horriffic.
  8. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    WDO, she's actually under 60cm.
  9. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    Believe me, if the female wolf didn't want to 'take', she wouldn't.
  10. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    As you all know, I don't believe in crossing a pure wolf with a dog of any sorts unless there was hard evidence or proof that it was needed to save a breed(I'm not in the 'know', so perhaps my opinion is unjustified), ie pure wolf crossed with the CsV or Saarloos to eradicate health problems or increase the gene pool. But I would say, some that are commenting on this subject, on people 'interfering with nature' are owners of breeds that are so interfered with!
  11. Eko

Eko New Member

Name:
    James Darch
    Thank you for that information. You're obviously very well informed on the subject. Have you objected to a DWA Licence /Zoo Licence application? Or perhaps someone has objected to you applying for one?
  12. The Master

The Master New Member

Name:
    john
    Dont worry most well established animal protection groups have good legal teams as we have been there many times before and are fully up to speed on the procedures:002:
  13. Eko

Eko New Member

Name:
    James Darch
    National Wildlife Federation

An article on wolf hybrids

http://www.nwf.org/wildlife/pdfs/CanYouTurnAWolfIntoADog.pdf

If the link is removed, it's on the National Wildlife Federations' website. Search for wolf hybrids and select the pdf file 'Can you turn a wolf into a dog?'

This study was done in 1998, so it's a bit out of date but thought it might inform.
  14. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Thanks for that, off to have a look now.
  15. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    You cannot turn a wolf into a dog ... and why should you want to? The whole point of having a wolf cross is because it is just that ... a dog crossed with a large dollop of his wolf ancestry. Why would you want therefore to turn it into a dog? You could just buy a dog and have done with it !

If you have a wolf cross, then for sure they are very different from your average labrador, they are, rather naturally, very wolfy. But they make absolutely delightful "dogs", I had one for 10 years.

Interesting article though Eko, one of the better ones I have read. I have literally only just flicked through it very quickly, but what I saw I liked, with some notable exceptions.
  16. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    I agree with you there. Do you have any pics of your wolfdog.
  17. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    Good, well rounded article :001:
  18. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    I do. I will try and get some sorted out.
  19. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    I thought Utonagons were 'wolf free'?
  20. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Ok, thanks.
  21. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    It would be very interesting to see the COI average of both breeds to see if crossing is warrented:001:
    I dont know if the last part of your post was a general point or one directed to me.:001: