100% Wolf X Dog Controversial

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by liz & kiesha, Jan 27, 2009.

1. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    I found this article from Iberia nature (a guide to the natural history of Spain) quite interesting.

Half-wolf, half-dog, myth or menace?
    Monday, October 11, 2004

The Asturian government and livestock farmers are warning of the existence of wolf-dog hybrids roaming the hills of the 'Principality'. Wildlife groups have their doubts.

In recent years strange behaviour has been detected among certain wolf individuals, which instead of fleeing at the sight of humans, stay and stare, albeit at a distance. They are reported to be attacking sheep and cows in broad daylight and close to villages. Many farmers are blaming the increase in attacks on livestock in some areas on these dog-wolves. The stories are in line with the Asturian folklore tradition of half-dog, half-wolf crossovers, and tame wolves (known as lobos de jaulas - caged wolves) released into the hills to unleash havoc.

Some experts claim that the hybrids have inherited the wolf's ferocity and the domestic dog's lack of fear of humans. The theory goes that a hybrid might have arisen through the mating of a lonely, old male wolf and a young female dog. The other way round would be impossible. As one expert put it, 'the female wolf would have the male dog for breakfast'. The former coupling would raise hybrid pups which would then protect them from wolf attacks. They would then begin to form a pack and attract new adepts. The Asturian government claims to be in possession of a photo of one such coupling with its hybrid cubs, but strangely refuses to release it as 'it is scientific material under study'. Unlike the farmers, the government believes dog-wolves are exceptional and isolated cases, though it currently is concentrating its wolf culling efforts on eradicating such crossovers.

In contrast, the leading wildlife protection group FAPAS in the area is highly sceptical of the existence of the beast. They believe such a coupling to be impossible because a wolf will always kill a dog given half the chance. It also believes that feral dogs are not to blame either, as, unlike the rest of Spain, wolf country is virtually free of wild dogs: wolves just hunt them down and kill them. Instead they put the blame on domestic dogs: as Roberto Hartasánchez, the organisation's president, put it, "they go out at night and attack livestock. Then spend their days sleeping on the fireside rug at home. They are uncontrolled dogs, but they are not wild. In rural Asturias, most dogs are not fed at home. Where do you think they eat?... It's just easier to blame the wolf.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    Interesting article. There may be other explanations for the "strange behaviour" though. Certainly the behaviour of urban foxes in my area of West London has changed significantly over the past 15 years. Whereas they were once pretty rare and turned tail at the sight of a human in the distance, today's foxes will stand and stare, only moving when you get almost close enough to touch them. Could be a case of familiarity breeds contempt.

Mick
  4. The Master

The Master New Member

Name:
    john
    This is the reply I got from DEFRA the local council are investigating too as there is no DWA licence for this land at Landkey and there is concern as one of his wolves at Combe Martin recently knawed her way out of an enclosure and escaped, how hungry or stressed was she!

Thank you for your e-mail. The day to day responsibility for licensing a premises under the Zoo Licensing Act rests with the relevant local authority. North Devon District Council is responsible for the licensing of Combe Martin Dinosaur Park. I believe they are aware of the recent wolf escape and are looking into the matter.

With regard to the Dangerous Wild Animals Act (DWA), again the day to day responsibility for administration lies with the relevant local authority, but if the Landkey premises are not licensed under the ZLA then the DWAA kicks in and licences would be required to keep the wolves there. In addition, licences are required for hybrids where at least one parent is a wolf (i.e. F1 hybrids) and any animal of which one parent is such a hybrid (i.e. F2). Offspring of an F2 hybrid and domestic dog, or the offspring of two F2 hybrids do not require a DWAA licence, nor do subsequent generations (as long as “new” wolf” is not introduced). It’s not illegal, as far as I am aware, to breed hybrids of wolves and Czech wolfdogs or Saarloos as long as the correct DWAA licence is in place for the generation of animal. Further details on Czech wolfdogs etc can be found on the amended webpage found via the link below.

Havnt added the link incase its not allowed
  5. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Very informative, thank you. ( Like your forum name by the way xxxxx)
  6. The Master

The Master New Member

Name:
    john
    The Mr & Mrs Wolf dross starts this month yuck! How bad that the female wolf was allowed to mate with her brother just to keep the girlfriend happy so she could play Nanny to a wolf with pups for another cheesy TV prog to make more money!
  7. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Given Mr Ellis involvement with various "breeders" and factions I have no respect for him whatsoever!!
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I never have, and I think all the "Wolfman lovers" on here will have changed their tune, I wonder if those that felt like this:
    http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=68817

Feel the same now?
  9. The Master

The Master New Member

Name:
    john
    Mr Ellis and these Breeders have one thing in common, they exploit animals to make money!
  10. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Wonder if the press would be interested in the "true" Shaun Ellis??:roll: :002:
  11. The Master

The Master New Member

Name:
    john
    I think with time he will be exposed for what he really is, he has no formal qualifications in anything related to animal behaviour or biology. He also has a shady past and is under investigation by several organisations.

One of his wolves recently escaped from her enclosure at Combe Martin dinosaur park by knawing her way through the metal fencing! How stressed or hungry was she!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...pes-from-zoo-by-gnawing-out-of-enclosure.html
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
  12. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Yes I heard that, I also heard that a pack of Dholes escaped from Howletts!!!
  13. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    My good god hun i hate to say this but I agree with you :shock: :lol:
  14. The Master

The Master New Member

Name:
    john
    They are both in it for the money and fame, Richardson needs Shaun's social hand reared wolves as breeding non social ones with his dogs would be too risky as they could be injured or killed.
  15. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    hang on til I get up off the floor!:lol: :shock:
  16. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    i have to say that i really liked this guy, i thought he was "one of the good guys"...but the more i learn about him, the less i respect him and wonder what his true motives are....
  17. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I agree, i read his book and thought . . Wow he really wants to help wild wovles, this was backed up by the work he was doing with wolf pack management and farmers in poland. But now he seems to have lost his way and my respect is rapidly dwindling :?
  18. Eko

Eko New Member

Name:
    James Darch
    This is the reply I got from North Devon District Council:

"I write to acknowledge the receipt of your email dated 30/01/09 with regard to Shaun Ellis and a proposed breeding venture in our area. I will need to research your complaint and gain advice on the situation. This Authority has to date received no application for a Dangerous Wild Animals Licence in Landkey."

So the council are completely in the dark about this 'breeding venture' and until Ellis is granted a DWA licence he can't keep wolves or F1 or F2 wolf hybrids at Landkey.
  19. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Interesting Eko, will be good to hear any updates too. Thank you.
  20. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    That is interesting. If he hasn't applied for a licence, then it is a pretty big mistake to make, maybe he has, and either it hasn't arrived yet, or people in the local authority arnt communicating propperly, whitch has been known.
  21. The Master

The Master New Member

Name:
    john
    Some of the other wolf organisations investigated the Polish research and it didnt really exist just a one off film shoot for the wolf man doc with a few farmers who had lost sheep to wolves. Interesting as he was said to raising money for this as a charity, wonder where that went!